Hydro Question?

• Thread starter kbellfoy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
kbellfoy

kbellfoy

I'm seriously looking in to going in to hydro. Im finding organic potting mix too expensive and hard work. Iv been chatting to someone on here who has made the choice easier for me. I have a ? that might be stupid but hey.....I gotta ask lol. If I have a basic DWC set up how do i empty the res to redo the nutes etc?Thank u .

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

if by basic dwc you mean a container and air stone. the easiest way is to use 5 gallon buckets and mix your nutes up in a fresh bucket then just swap lids

Thank u. I was bothered about lifting them out causing root damage. My mind is now at rest.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Depends on the type of container and how it's designed.
Easy was is a small pump with tubing attached. Drop it in the reservoir, plug it in and pump it into 5 gallon buckets and dump that into your flower beds or a neighbors car you don't like. It's up to you.

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

Thank u smokey503ski. So I can do that with the pump in any container. Iv not decided which kind of container I'm gonna use yet. I'm having a good read then making a final desicion.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Another way. Get a bulkhead fitting with a ball valve.
If you have room, you can raise the res off the ground a foot. Add tubing at the end of the ball valve and run the tubing outside. Open the ball valve and let gravity do its work.
This way, like the op suggested that when the plants grow, the roots will be in the way and can be a pain to deal with.

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

That sounds easier. I need to do some reading I think. Thank u everyone for commenting.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

You said you were going full hydro for the expense and hard work? Coconut fiber is sold in bricks really cheap, you put it in a bucket with some water and it swells up just like dirt. Lots of people here use it and its much cheaper than soil or hydro.

Top Bottom