Hydro Water Treatments/steralizing, Uc Roots, Regalia, Sanidate 12.0, What Are You Guys Using?

• Thread starter jdogdabface
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jdogdabface

jdogdabface

Hey y'all,
Ive been looking around for a disease/pest management system for a hydro system I'm about to build, I just wanted to see what people are using out there in there reservoirs as a preventative, I want to hear both good and bad feedback about products! Also Im curious about how this effects microbes, do these water treaters eliminate even the good microbes?

Hope to hear some good stuff, peace

DGP

DGP

I have been using HydroGuard (beneficial bacteria) but occassionally I have to hit a bucket with H2O2 and then re-innoculate that one around 3 days later (I am curenlty in DWC and thinking of building anRDWC system). I am wondering about beneficials and the use of H2O2 and other products like Resclear etc.

I read somewhere that the bad bacterias are anaerobic and the beneficials are typically aerobic. So, if that is true then it seems doing heavy aeration or adding H2O2 would not hurt the good bacteria but only the bad. I wrote to some master gardeners about this very question but my email bounced back so I am still looking for the answer myself.

DP

Bill22

Bill22

Hey y'all,
Ive been looking around for a disease/pest management system for a hydro system I'm about to build, I just wanted to see what people are using out there in there reservoirs as a preventative, I want to hear both good and bad feedback about products! Also Im curious about how this effects microbes, do these water treaters eliminate even the good microbes?

1) If you increase the dissolved oxygen (DO) level in your water, you should "significantly reduce root diseases such as Pythium which typically thrive in oxygen-poor (anaerobic) environments" per O2 Grow. O2 Grow says that air stones do not increase DO levels in water. That is a hard one to swallow, but it can be tested by simply using a DO meter which will show that 8.5 ppm of DO is pretty much what you will get, even in water with air stones. O2 Grow's products purport to raise DO about 50% to around 12.5 ppm. Their site explains how this has increased vegetable yields at two major universities by 13% to 50%+. So if you are running DWC or RDWC and want to boost your yield, replacing air stones in each bucket with one of their emitters would be something to consider. Here is a video showing the difference:
I myself am anxious to try their new Spider product w/ 12 emitters in a CC system. Not cheap, but should easily recoup the $ spent via increased yield.

2) Running a lower water temp should also discourage pests.

3) H2O2 should also discourage pests. From High Times: "H2O2 not only keeps bacteria and algae at bay in non-organic hydro systems, it releases precious oxygen in the root zone as it works its magic. It is especially good in reservoirs that run hot – water above 72 degrees contains less dissolved oxygen which promotes bacterial growth. 15ml per gallon of a 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution will not only control algae and bacteria, it will also release oxygen in the water as it kills unwanted biological agents."

I hope this helps.

DGP

DGP

1) If you increase the dissolved oxygen (DO) level in your water, you should "significantly reduce root diseases such as Pythium which typically thrive in oxygen-poor (anaerobic) environments" per O2 Grow. O2 Grow says that air stones do not increase DO levels in water. That is a hard one to swallow, but it can be tested by simply using a DO meter which will show that 8.5 ppm of DO is pretty much what you will get, even in water with air stones. O2 Grow's products purport to raise DO about 50% to around 12.5 ppm. Their site explains how this has increased vegetable yields at two major universities by 13% to 50%+. So if you are running DWC or RDWC and want to boost your yield, replacing air stones in each bucket with one of their emitters would be something to consider. Here is a video showing the difference:
I myself am anxious to try their new Spider product w/ 12 emitters in a CC system. Not cheap, but should easily recoup the $ spent via increased yield.

2) Running a lower water temp should also discourage pests.

3) H2O2 should also discourage pests. From High Times: "H2O2 not only keeps bacteria and algae at bay in non-organic hydro systems, it releases precious oxygen in the root zone as it works its magic. It is especially good in reservoirs that run hot – water above 72 degrees contains less dissolved oxygen which promotes bacterial growth. 15ml per gallon of a 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution will not only control algae and bacteria, it will also release oxygen in the water as it kills unwanted biological agents."

I hope this helps.

Bill,

What you say makes a lot of sense but are beneficial bacteria such as the ones used for DWC like HydrGuard aerobic bacteria or anerobic? If they are aerobic then it seems like the H2O2 might not kill or be incompatible with the hydroGuard bacteria. I am assuming Hydroguards strain of bacteria is aerobic because it lives in the presence of oxygen when we aeriate the reservoirs or individual buckets. I just have never seen an answer to this question and I am an engineer not a bioligist:) and am curious about this subject. I am in the third week of my very first hydro run.....before that it was all conventional soil mix like Fox Farms. The productivity of hydro is stunning. I have only seen growth like this outdoors and stems and trunks that seem huge. I can't wait to see what the yield may be. I am working hard to keep the temps down in the grow rooms and now that the weather here in Oregon is much cooler it is pretty much easy to keep the water under 70F. I still worry about screwing this up though because the plants are going nuts right now.

DGP

Paul Simon

Paul Simon

Not my current area of expertise, but @Capulator seems to do great using tea made from OGBiowar both in the res and apply to the crown. Seen some very impressive turn arounds, plus it IS your microbes... so no compatability issues.

jdogdabface

jdogdabface

@Bill22 , do you work for 02 grow?
Im shocked to see a 10 gal unit is $200, damn expensive for an air pump.
Super cool video though

Bill22

Bill22

DGP

While I cannot answer your question, I share your excitement about the swift growth attained with hydro! That is all I have ever used. You are wise to keep your air and water temperature on the cool side, imo. Air around 72 and water at 68 would be what I'd use. Happy landing with it.

Bill22

Bill22

@Bill22 , do you work for 02 grow?
Im shocked to see a 10 gal unit is $200, damn expensive for an air pump.
Super cool video though
I don't work for O2 Grow, but I had an hourlong convo with Dennis of their team last week about their new product. I am looking forward to using their emitters in my CC system that should be set up later this year. Besides CO2, training/supercropping, etc., this may offer one of the best ways to increase yield. However, time will tell, as I have not yet used it, so it is not a guarantee. When you say this is expensive for an air pump, please note that it is not an air pump. It is something that purports to raise DO by about 50%. Air pumps do not raise DO at all, or very little, believe it or not.

N

Neverfold420

Hey y'all,

Regalia is great and is trans pro and protect bottom of leaf when top sprayed. 5 star in this one God for roots use a little in dirt watering. đź’Ż

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Bit of an old thread here.. But I'll throw down for the sake of it. I run my water through a 3 stage filter system consisting of 20 micron and 1 micron pre filters, then through a UV chamber before it goes in the res. Once in the Res I dose it with 3ml/gallon 29% H2O2. And i make a fresh res every 3 days.

I'll soon be experimenting with a hybrid system with the thought that H2O2 doesnt fully sterilize the blocks, so if anything is growing in there, I want it to be stuff I put there. Like great white or hydroguard.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

the clonex kit bottles and a book about the limiting factors say- use peroxide. obviously, u have no problems.
gen hydro guy- as id also read it kills micros... verified yes, it can/does. hence, wound care/first aid.

i know u hippies (organic, etc) know ur stuff so i was just curious, as i use guard, myself... and sometimes, for a seedling, cocktail, but how, or y the conflicting intel, on h2o2? it's never done me wrong, but i haven't used it since the gallons of trio, purchase. i don't have the energy to defend trio, atm. maybe ever.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

I'd read many articles, like Bill's as well.
let's hear about that filter, dawwg! u diy, or ready made? I'm spending about $80mo, on ro, currently so... I'm forward, thinkin. sounds like a fish sstm! awesome!

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
I just use plain old hypochlorous acid in laundry bleach and have had zero problems over the years.

To quote a fat man:
One drop is nominally considered equal to 0.06 ml, so it would 1.6 drops per gallon to add 0.10 ml (1 ppm chlorine). 8 drops per gallon would equal 5 ppm. If you actually had a root rot problem that would be a fine dosage initially as most of it would be used up oxidixing al the existing dead roots so you residual chlorine would likely be less than 1 ppm. For prevetative treatment I would not recomend more that a 2 ppm initial dosage followed by 1 ppmdoses every 24 to 36 hours. Chlorine dissipates quite quickly in an open system, especially a well circulated or aerated system.

Top Bottom