Hydrofarm's new phantom digital ballast

• Thread starter chrometrichs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chrometrichs

chrometrichs

So hydrofarm has their new digital ballast and it seems like they may have made a few improvements. Digital ballasts emitting excess RF noise is a concern for me. Hydrofarm states their ballast has "internal RF protection". I'm not sure any other digital ballast company makes that claim. I'm wondering if anyone has had the chance to test out one of these ballast or perhaps could expand on hydrofarms claims of RF protection or any other facets of this ballast.

heres the link to the hydrofarm website where I found this

Phantom 1000W Digital Ballast, 120/240v Dimmable
SKU: PHE1THD
Weight: 16.4 lbs.
Package Dimensions: 14.5L x 9.8W x 3.8H
Suggested Retail: $399.95

Hydrofarm's Phantom Digital Ballast arrives on the market as the most rigorously tested ballast in the industry. The Phantom features silent operation, lightweight design, multiple placement options and the maximum lumen output around. We listened to your needs and learned. Now you can reap the benefit with this durable, premium digital ballast.

* Tri-mode, push-button dimmable feature gives you the light you need in your specific growing situation.
* Hot re-strike programming protects the lamp in the event of a power outage
* Tested for compatibility with most brands of high intensity grow lamps
* Dual resettable breakers - protects lamp and household circuits
* Only ballast on the market designed for vertical operation for coolest running and optimum grow space
* Drives the highest light output for maximum plant growth
* Universal reflector adaptor and 8 ft heavy duty cord included
* Unlike magnetic ballast, Phantom runs completely silent
* Patented lock & seal BAREF lamp cord installed
* Internal RF protection
* Triple surface aluminum fins - most efficient cooling in its class
* Internal Resin coating protects components for long life

warranty 3 years full 2 years prorated

E

entrails

I use these right now. I like them very much so far! However I dont run enough of the ballasts to know about the RF protection. For a ballast or 2 (I started with one, liked it so I bought another), no problem, however get 10-15 of them together for a large scale grow and there will be some RF static im sure!

The guys at my growshop insist they will throw static as well when used in large grows....this ballast internally is little different from most others as there, to my understanding, are a few basic parts all made in China across all manufacturers.

That being said they run great for me so far. They seem heavy, overbuilt, very sturdy, zero noise, zero heat!!! Oh one thing im running just a plain old 1,000 hps bulb.....I tried a Agro-sun and the ballast would not always fire it up...I was wondering if anyone had used a horti so far in their Phantom? Maybe Ill get a horti this week and check it out..

G

GuFF

I got four and ill be using the horti mh blue and the super hps, I'm gonna fire it up in about 2 weeks, ill let you know.

S

strawD

* Hot re-strike programming protects the lamp in the event of a power outage

does this mean that you cant use these with a flip-flop timer like the lumateks? thats a pain. someone needs to make a timer that does 20 min off in between flipping sides.

S

Swerve

The phantoms rock got 10 of them I also have 6 quantum balasts and 6 lumateks I can say I like the phantoms and be quantums by far over the lumateks

L

Lost

Thx for the info Swerve, im looking to upgrade my fleet of mag ballasts and I really don't want to go lumatek again. (I got a bunch of 600's)

S

strawD

can you use them with a timer that does 12/12 in 2 different rooms? do they need a special timer than incorporates hot start delay?

This is a critical part of my decision making process, and these look nice, if they'll work with the timers.

PorchMonkey4Life

PorchMonkey4Life

what bulbs are you guys using for these?:character0111:

L

lurkernomore

**WARNING**

you may want to read a recent article in TTY magazine about a guy using lumateks and they kept EXPLODING his "gravita" light bulbs.

Besides a major inconvenience, he's been tested for mercury levels and he's way up there, while his wife is normal, who has never gone near his grow.

I used to think Lumateks were the greatest. Although I havent had issues, now I have my doubts. bottom line = I dont trust them. People have had them catch fire also. I have never tested lumateks for rf(???)

Not bashing lumatek, just sharing info, I wont be buying lumatek on any future purchases.

makes me wonder if the old coil style was so bad. Apparently - hortilux is working on their own digi ballast and states so far, they can't find a fully safe way to do it, which only adds to my doubts. If only magnetic coil ballasts didnt make that stupid buzz! Hopefully this new digi you mention will be safer.

sorry i'm too tired to go find the tty article, but its in the last or 2nd to last issue

Olyver

Olyver

does this mean that you cant use these with a flip-flop timer like the lumateks? thats a pain. someone needs to make a timer that does 20 min off in between flipping sides.

Send me a PM or post hear, I can build you a timerboard/flip that will do just that.

Best Regards

Olyver

P

paulycali

My select a watt galaxy ballast is the *hit! Even though i need another ballast and the phantom just came on the scene i still feel more towards the galaxy over the phantom. The phantom just seems too weird for me. Maybe i will get over it when i see it in action. Overall i like the galaxy select a watt ballast the best out of all the ballasts on the market. Its going to be a showdown between Galaxy select a watt VS. The Phantom.

Whos gonna to win?

keep.it.real.

keep.it.real.

i have the 600 watt phantom with solar max bulb that puts out 95,000 lumens great ballast, no heat, no noise, and cool dimming feauture as well if you dont wanna crank it all the way,,

C

CaliConnoisseuR

about to buy a couple 1k's and im torn between the phantom and Next gen's by CAP. Any suggestions?

F

f1ydave

makes me wonder if the old coil style was so bad. Apparently - hortilux is working on their own digi ballast and states so far, they can't find a fully safe way to do it, which only adds to my doubts. If only magnetic coil ballasts didnt make that stupid buzz! Hopefully this new digi you mention will be safer.

sorry i'm too tired to go find the tty article, but its in the last or 2nd to last issue

Can you source this claim for me? I've been trying to explain this to people that Hortilux changed ignition voltage requirements and find it amusing they can't even power them.

F

f1ydave

about to buy a couple 1k's and im torn between the phantom and Next gen's by CAP. Any suggestions?

You will probably be happy with either and even quantums.

I have Nextgens and love them.

What you need to be careful of is the bulbs you get.

Dual-Arc (I haven't heard or read any complaints)
Sunpulse
Digilux

Are all designed for digitals. Stay away from hortilux and save yourself the headache.

Top Bottom