Hydroponic Research User Thread

• Thread starter CelticEBE
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Pimples

I've been on V+B for 4 years now. I've only ever needed Cal+Mag for two strains. My Skywalker and a Chem x OG.

I do use H16 foliar weekly though.....and that stuff has like 3 different sources of Calcium.

Stack Swell is the new product.

I've only used V+B in LA, where my water was absolute SHIT....and NorCal well water, which is actually incredible (200ppm and 6.4).

Down in LA....I had to adjust things a bit. I did a tap cut with ro and ran a blend of V+B TAP and Dirty. Up here in NorCal.....I run HD....with NO issues concerning ph or cal/mag deficiencies.

I think it really depends on your starting water quality. If your lucky enough to have good starting water, then you can take advantage of the simplicity of V+B.
BINGO!!! Good post and truth!!! I foliar spray in veg and early flower every 5 to 7 days religiously. A mix of fulvic acid, kelp, soy protein hydrolysate (amino acids), and yucca for a sticker. This is my rocket fuel. And my secret sauce (not a secret at all) to keep my ladies short..bushy..and super deep green healthy. These are the additives you want and most effective as a weekly foliar spray in veg. Add a mild pH balanced base nute with a silica in the rootzone when the plants need it. And I havent had a mineral or pH problem in a very long time. Fulvic/humics..kelps..and aminos shutlle in all the micros and stubborn elements fast and easy. Plus the cytokinins (hormones) in kelp does wonders for a compact plant. Useful for limoted space indoor grow rooms. In deep flower...they dont need much. I cut out all of the biostimulant additives and even the silica. Just the base with maybe a p/k booster at mid flower after bud set. Only for about a week. Its the light and temperature/humidity/co2 tricks that are your real flower size & quality boosters.

Last edited:
Wisher619

Wisher619

I've been on V+B for 4 years now. I've only ever needed Cal+Mag for two strains. My Skywalker and a Chem x OG.

I do use H16 foliar weekly though.....and that stuff has like 3 different sources of Calcium.

Stack Swell is the new product.

I've only used V+B in LA, where my water was absolute SHIT....and NorCal well water, which is actually incredible (200ppm and 6.4).

Down in LA....I had to adjust things a bit. I did a tap cut with ro and ran a blend of V+B TAP and Dirty. Up here in NorCal.....I run HD....with NO issues concerning ph or cal/mag deficiencies.

I think it really depends on your starting water quality. If your lucky enough to have good starting water, then you can take advantage of the simplicity of V+B.
I use RO and had nothing but problems
no CaMg .2 CaMg .3CaMg
didnt matter
shit based out my coco and locked out P
on everything from Cannabis to my tomatoes...I tried 3 runs with back and forth from the Company.....
Then I was handed 10 gal of RX Green Technologies A/B
havnt looked back
no ph in coco
shit runs @3.5ph
dont know how it works but it does
simple 16ml from start to finish gets me around 1.5ec and cruise control
I really wanted V+B to be the it it
but we cant win them all
and I always see people doing well with it
until I hear
"well I foliar....or I mix to different products etc."
then people like Jungle Boys
"CaMg then PH then V+B but in a 2 part etc...

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

In my 9 years of growing, the most important thing I have ever learned was this. You have to have LOVE for the plant. If you have that LOVE, then you are in your rooms, you are talking to your plants, and you are LISTENING to what they have to say. You adjust things accordingly and find out what WORKS best for you and your ladies.

V+B may not work for some people's style of growing, but my ladies love it. I consistently put out QUALITY flowers that my patients love and enjoy.

P

Pimples

To be honest...I ran out of V+B and recently and just went down to my hydro store down the street and grabbed good ole Canna Coco nutes and another load of Canna bricks. V+B is only sold at one store and its way the hell out of town. Its good but its nothing different and really not all that cheap. Not as cheap as that new dry salt brand that just came out. Forget the name. That shit is really cheap. And was gonna give it a shot. All amino chelation they claim. No edta..dtpa or eddha.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
To be honest...I ran out of V+B and recently and just went down to my hydro store down the street and grabbed good ole Canna Coco nutes and another load of Canna bricks. V+B is only sold at one store and its way the hell out of town. Its good but its nothing different and really not all that cheap. Not as cheap as that new dry salt brand that just came out. Forget the name. That shit is really cheap. And was gonna give it a shot. All amino chelation they claim. No edta..dtpa or eddha.
Megacrop by green leaf nutrients... liking it myself

P

Pimples

In my 9 years of growing, the most important thing I have ever learned was this. You have to have LOVE for the plant. If you have that LOVE, then you are in your rooms, you are talking to your plants, and you are LISTENING to what they have to say. You adjust things accordingly and find out what WORKS best for you and your ladies.

V+B may not work for some people's style of growing, but my ladies love it. I consistently put out QUALITY flowers that my patients love and enjoy.
This is what its all about. Once you lock into that groove..lookout. Plants love that consistency as well and will reward the grower accordingly. I change up my variables every now (the little ones - out of boredom really) and again but the basics of what I do is always there.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I use RO and had nothing but problems
no CaMg .2 CaMg .3CaMg
didnt matter
shit based out my coco and locked out P

A few years ago I had an issue with lockout. It was my fault though. I wasn't watering at least once a day....and there was NO runoff. So....the ec in my coco was off the charts....and my plants did NOT like it.

I water my flower rooms 4 times a day, with a little bit of runoff. No problems.

Yeah...RX gave me gallons upon gallons of the base Veg and Bloom nutes a few years ago in SF. I couldn't wrap my head around the low ph stuff they were talking, so I gave it all to a friend.

Wisher619

Wisher619

A few years ago I had an issue with lockout. It was my fault though. I wasn't watering at least once a day....and there was NO runoff. So....the ec in my coco was off the charts....and my plants did NOT like it.

I water my flower rooms 4 times a day, with a little bit of runoff. No problems.

Yeah...RX gave me gallons upon gallons of the base Veg and Bloom nutes a few years ago in SF. I couldn't wrap my head around the low ph stuff they were talking, so I gave it all to a friend.
I feed 8x a day
I get runoff about feed 4 to 8
my runoff is steady and my ph is always good
with V+B
even though the ph of the feed going in was 5.8
coming out was 6.7-7.2
I would watch it climb
at that time I was watering 3x a day....each time to 10% runoff
I would see it climb gradually

couldn't figure it out
but when the company told me I needed to "structure my water"
I asked.....isnt this for RO
it literally states this on the tub
it has 7% Ca in it
why dont I have to 'structure' for say Maxibloom?
he didnt have an answer so I dropped it

as for the RX
yeah I cant wrap my head around the low ph either
but what ever is going on the shit works

maybe when the V+B 2 part DOS comes out to the average joe I will give her another shot
from what I have been told it is basically Jacks 2 part with some extra goodies

xeamonk

xeamonk

I can see your point now personally i dont mind toying with the water if thats all I gotta do to make it work but maybe i'm lucky that my water plays well with v+b. not sure i'm still a newb with less than 7? grows under my belt. one thing i dont like about hydroponic research is that you have to ask around about how to use their stuff because they are so vague...

how can you tell when a plant needs calmag?

Wisher619

Wisher619

one thing I will HIGHLY PROMOTE!!! from HR is their +life
def a winner in my book

P

Pimples

one thing I will HIGHLY PROMOTE!!! from HR is their +life
def a winner in my book
View attachment 788573 View attachment 788574
Ive had vigorous rooting strains do that as well. Using root promoters that are similar to +Life. They grow such a thick mat that it actually pushes the plant and root plug (any root plug too. From rockwool to Root Riots..Oasis..Jiffys. Etc.) up out of the tray insert cell if you leave em in there long enough and with a small level of solution in the prop tray and bottom heat. Amazing isnt it? When I get rooted cuts like that they take right off when you transplant them into the first small pot or in a bigger rw block. Nice pix man. Nice roots.

P

Pimples

If a grower leaves the cuts in the propagator until you get roots like this..you can literally shave days or weeks off your veg times. Alot of times when you take the cuts with just a couple roots poking through the plug to the first pot up..they can go into shut down mode and can take days for them to get going. Literally doing nothing good or bad. When you wait until roots are jamming like this...they really take right off. And if you keep them on this high metabolism mode (i liken it to riding a wave or walking a tightrope) at peak performance at all times it really is a quick veg.

Wisher619

Wisher619

Now thats what I like to see! Beautiful sight, man.

I just looked on their site and it looks like it goes a long way, 1tsp per 10 gal

how do you use this stuff for clones? 1tsp/10gal like they say?
I dont follow directions
I use a Knife Hit
literally a pinch per gal...about 1/16th tsp
I use nutes @ half strength with +life and pour into bottom of tray like SIPS method and allow to drink

Last edited:
Wisher619

Wisher619

If a grower leaves the cuts in the propagator until you get roots like this..you can literally shave days or weeks off your veg times. Alot of times when you take the cuts with just a couple roots poking through the plug to the first pot up..they can go into shut down mode and can take days for them to get going. Literally doing nothing good or bad. When you wait until roots are jamming like this...they really take right off. And if you keep them on this high metabolism mode (i liken it to riding a wave or walking a tightrope) at peak performance at all times it really is a quick veg.
agreed
this is day 1 of transplant 03-19

this is 03-26 day of flip

when transplanting with solid roots it is instant growth....no stunting or slowing down

Wisher619

Wisher619

Do you find that those 5 1/2 " square nursery pots (with the tag label holder dealy) are ideal for final pot sea of green growing? I got a ton of those lying around. Nice crop.
yup
and thank you
in coco they will support 80g plants
well...that is what I have maxed out at with my light
In that week of veg and first week of flip roots fill out the pot and then you just treat it like a 6" RW cube...literally...
we will see with this run how much I can pull from a 2x4
12 plants
350w of Cree COB Led's

P

Pimples

yup
and thank you
in coco they will support 80g plants
well...that is what I have maxed out at with my light
In that week of veg and first week of flip roots fill out the pot and then you just treat it like a 6" RW cube...literally...
we will see with this run how much I can pull from a 2x4
12 plants
350w of Cree COB Led's
Do you top them early on or at all? Whats final finish height from top of pot to top of plant? Those pots are nice. I should use mine more. I literally have about a hundred of them stacked inna corner of my basement. They hold close to a gallon of medium I believe. Like 3/4ths of a gallon.

Wisher619

Wisher619

Do you top them early on or at all? Whats final finish height from top of pot to top of plant? Those pots are nice. I should use mine more. I literally have about a hundred of them stacked inna corner of my basement. They hold close to a gallon of medium I believe. Like 3/4ths of a gallon.
I dont top my plants
those clones are literally straight up....I do a technique where by I pull the very top leaves of the top most cola which stunts it enough to allow the side branches to come up
not to be confused with fiming
depending on genetics and veg...anywhere from 2'-4' will top at
these will probably end between 24-36" and I say 30" on the dot

Top Bottom