hydroponics outdoors?

• Thread starter username09
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

username09

I was noticing how nice the weather was today while going into work. The sun was bright, a cool breeze, and not a cloud in the sky. I started thinking of the possibility of doing an outdoor soil grow next season but, I really like how my bubble bucket is doing so that lead me to the idea of doing a bubble bucket (or any other hydroponic system) outdoors. Would this be ok? I mean I know I'd have the usual outdoor growing problems but what other problem would there be? I also started thinking, could I bring my indoor bucketed plant outdoors on days like this so it could enjoy some natural light or would it hurt the plant? I would love to be able to utilize some of this natural light.

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

I'm not too knowledgeable on bubble buckets but I think you might have some issues with the water getting too hot in the summer months so you would have to find a way to cool the water off. And I think it would be fine to bring them in and out, I would just start with shorter periods of time to kinda harden them off. And of course watch the water temps. IMO if I was gonna try an outdoor hydro system I would maybe try a top drip system or something where I could still use coco or another medium and have my res indoors where it will be easier to control the water temp.

H

halitzor

I was noticing how nice the weather was today while going into work. The sun was bright, a cool breeze, and not a cloud in the sky. I started thinking of the possibility of doing an outdoor soil grow next season but, I really like how my bubble bucket is doing so that lead me to the idea of doing a bubble bucket (or any other hydroponic system) outdoors. Would this be ok? I mean I know I'd have the usual outdoor growing problems but what other problem would there be? I also started thinking, could I bring my indoor bucketed plant outdoors on days like this so it could enjoy some natural light or would it hurt the plant? I would love to be able to utilize some of this natural light.

Obviously to combat the summer heat problem the above poster mentioned you would bury the container.

I have thought about this too and I would use a 55 gallon food grade barrel which you can get used for around $15. Cut a hole in the top and drop a 10" heavy duty net pot bucket lid in it. Put some massive air stones in the bottom and there ya go...

I think the easiest way would be to float plants on a pond though and use solar powered bubblers.

U

username09

Obviously to combat the summer heat problem the above poster mentioned you would bury the container.

I have thought about this too and I would use a 55 gallon food grade barrel which you can get used for around $15. Cut a hole in the top and drop a 10" heavy duty net pot bucket lid in it. Put some massive air stones in the bottom and there ya go...

I think the easiest way would be to float plants on a pond though and use solar powered bubblers.

Burying is an awesome idea. I was thinking of freezering a few jugs of water and putting them in a larger tub then putting the bucket in that tub then add water. The frozen jugs would keep the surrounding water cool and in turn keep the bucket cool. Burying would be much easier tho not to mention less noticeable.

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

Thinking of planning an out door hydro too. Mine was going to be a 275G tode from CL $125. Place that unit in the ground. hook up an intilli dose PH, float, pump to mix the res up on an NFT, Air stones. An 1500G eco plus pump i got laying around too.

Then get a 5g bucket to make an EBB and FLOW control level bucket.(the simple classic EBB idea, not the 2 pump C.A.P. idea) Also 48 site of the Monster Cap 5gallon bottom feed bucket. like 1 pallet of hydroton.

Placeing cement floor and 4 4x4 post to place screen around to keep bugs out. also some cold frame plastic to place along the top from people seeing or rain getting the girls wet.

Then again these are my idea lately for an out door hydo. Not sure what i got in my would work ether.....

opt1c

opt1c

i did an outdoor recirculating drip bato bucket system with peppers this past summer; plumbed a chiller to the reservoir and let the grass grow around it; kept it cool enough for a bunch of frogs to move in and setup shop underneath

fwiw perlite mixed with vermiculite kills 100% perlite

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
buddy of mine does dwc in brute cans buried in the ground - I thought he was nuts, but he pulled 3 lbs on plants that went out kinda late

he also used pura vida

S

simos

I've seen RDWC done in a greenhouse. The grower insulated the hell out of everything and added frozen water bottles daily. He also coated the buckets in Reflectix.

Aquaponics would be another idea to consider. There is a lot of build information available via a simple google search.

B

bastard_x

keep your bubbleponics inside and try some soil outside at the same time. maximize your output and utilize your space and sunlight. Dont move inside plants in and out because you will be bringing pests inside and theres not natural predators for those pests inside the house. You will find the plants outdoor in soil wont grow as fast but the flavor will be better than the ones grown in hydro.

Latest posts

Top Bottom