Hydroton & Ebb/Flow?

• Thread starter Green Mopho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Hey, I am doing a 4'x4' flood and drain table with hydroton, plants in 6" net baskets filled with hydroton, and surrounded by it. I noticed some of them drooping and started H2O2 treatment. I am wondering if my setup requires the hydroton in-between the baskets. The rocks fill up the drain gutters, and seem to hold water there, and stay very moist themselves. I'm worried that could be causing root rot or other algae or bacteria growing in those cracks in the tray. Anyone do anything like this? Should I just veg em in the baskets without the hydroton between em so the water can drain fast and evenly?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

B

bdawgburner

The hydroton doesnt look too wet to me. How often are you feeding? The plants dont look too bad though.

D

DrFrankenstrain

Are you putting your clones in blocks prior to be put into the hydroton? If not..then that may be your problem, The hydroton is not giving your plants the stability they need and will need.I seen in one of your pics that it looks like you are just using the clone slab blocksand just cut them and stuck them into the hydroton. Try sticking them into a 4 inch block then into thehydroton.. more stability.

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
How long and how often are you watering for? Try less water...

S

SMOK3R

I use the same system, but instead of buckets I just use 6" rw cubes and fill the whole tray with hydroton up to the top of the overflow drain. I flood for 3 minutes 3 times a day. Once when the lights go on, once in the afternoon, and once before they go off. May not be the right way, but it works for me.

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

The hydroton doesnt look too wet to me. How often are you feeding? The plants dont look too bad though.

I've had some issues getting the feeding schedule right. Seems like I need to starve em just a little to let the rockwool fully drain.

Are you putting your clones in blocks prior to be put into the hydroton? If not..then that may be your problem, The hydroton is not giving your plants the stability they need and will need.I seen in one of your pics that it looks like you are just using the clone slab blocksand just cut them and stuck them into the hydroton. Try sticking them into a 4 inch block then into thehydroton.. more stability.

I just moved em to blocks. I think since the net pots are low and full of, well, nets, holes. Water drains right out. The right way to do this in an ebb&flow table would be to use the square 4" or 6" buckets, that only have slots on the bottom for slower drainage. I went with these round baskets cuz I was trying to devise a way to successfully veg them to get em ready to go into 5 gallon buckets with 6" net pot lids, doing a R-DWC system. First time around still working out the kinks.

Someone else told me also that because the pots are low, when they flood, the hydroton tends to float, and rearrange it self, which doesn't let the roots really grab hold and actually damages them. My roots have been getting beat up. I have recently changed em around a bit. I empied the net pots, put just a single layer of hydroton on the bottom, and filled either with the rockwool cubes (croutons) or just used the Medium 4" blocks, and then just covered the tops a bit with more hydroton to hold in moisture and keep light off the rockwool, to avoid algae.

How long and how often are you watering for? Try less water...

Now I'm down to once every 24 hours.

What is your humidity in your grow room?

Been trying to keep it steady. My current Max/Min is 62%/37%, not quite ideal.

I use the same system, but instead of buckets I just use 6" rw cubes and fill the whole tray with hydroton up to the top of the overflow drain. I flood for 3 minutes 3 times a day. Once when the lights go on, once in the afternoon, and once before they go off. May not be the right way, but it works for me.

Of course man! Yea, I did that for a long time. They grow great in these systems in the 6" cubes, but I got sick of working with rockwool year after year, and tired of being itchy and tossing all that crap away crop after crop. I wanted something safer to handle and breathe and reusable, so I was put onto Hydroton. I've had great results with the hydroton in the 5 gallon bucket DWC systems. I just can't seem to get down a great way to vegg to get em ready for those buckets!

B

been

Are you still having problems? Get the Kord squares and use those with Hydroton. Break up the rootball when you transplant. :rasta2:

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Are you still having problems? Get the Kord squares and use those with Hydroton. Break up the rootball when you transplant. :rasta2:

Yea, those have less holes for less drainage, since hydroton doesn't hold much. But I am transplanting to 6" net lids for 5 gallon buckets. I would have to move the root ball again, causing more stress. The 6" net pots just fit right into the 6" net lids for the buckets, double potted basically! But yea, the square pots (didn't know they were called Kord) def. work better with ebb and flow and hydroton. I'm just gonna have to work through this one with the rockwool/hydroton combination, which doesn't seem to be highly recommended around here, lol!:anim_52:

What is the point of breaking up the rootball? I was always taught that the roots are sensitive and to touch them and disturb them as little as possible.

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

New Pics, Hash Plant seedling moved to a 5 gal bucket, doing much better. I have a Flo that I moved to a bucket that is not liking that move much, very wilty! The bigger ones are looking better, but they are all getting nitrate deficient, since I've been flushing and trying to get to the "root" of the problem here.

Here is the wilty Flo that I just moved to the bucket.
picture.php

Wilty, and no new growth. This strain is a bit stubborn also.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Finally getting over this nute burn and other issues they've had. My girl almost killed 'em with full strength food when they were clones. Also that big Flo in the back hasn't shown any new growth since being brought to this space, very weird. I will just cut her down to clones and see what happens.

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

I think it is the algae on the rockwool somehow directly or indirectly effecting em, since the ones in RR plugs seem to be doing pretty well. I am gonna try dipping each net pot into a bucket filled with a pH'd solution of SM-90 and H2O2, and then clean out the tray and res real good with some bleach water, then fill it back up with 1/2 GH nutes, AquaShield, and SM-90. I will actually do this on both tables, and try to keep the problematic ones on one res, and the healthier ones in another. Sound good? I think after the dip, I will also do a foliar spray of the 1/9 milk mixture, hitting the leaves, bottom stem, and the top of the rockwool cube.

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

2668cubepositioning.jpg

I've definitely been flooding too high! Lesson learned. Funny how that using straight R/W 6" cubes, you can flood and drain pretty high, and it doesn't matter, but in combination with hydroton, it seems to not let the rockwool drain as well and it stays water logged. Anyway, thanks for the help. I think this batch of clones is just too fucking trashed at this point. Time to start over... (Shit, shit, shit, oh well!!!)

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Okay, some update pics. I put both strains back into 1 table, because I got some fresh clones, non-stressed, fully rooted, that I want to put on the other table. So I cleaned the table and res with water and bleach, rinsed, rinsed, etc. Fresh clean hydroton, ph'd, all rapid rooters, except for 3 4" R/W cubes that are already rooted through the cube, that I'm just trying out on the hydroton in a basket. I'm flooding to just below the cloning medium, as told to do so. The old batch of clones overall still look like shit! You can see below, but there are a couple of winners in there. I've lost a few, and my buddy says they are "monkey pawed", meaning they are so deficient that the leave curl up and resemble the paw of a monkey. Kinda funny. I think these are just fucked, start over, but you tell me what you think. A few have showed signs of new growth. They now flood every 3 hours for 15 minutes, flooding pretty low, and there are 4 airstones in the 40 gal res. My ph is maintaing at around 5.8 and I'm only giving them about 550 ppms, with a little added epsom salt for magnesium. I've also started em on a silica supplement to help tissue healing and prevent drying out. Here ya go...
picture.php

Monkey pawed!

picture.php

Signs of new growth!

picture.php

The overall picture!

picture.php

picture.php

The new guys!

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Okay, I'm on to my 2nd generation of clones in the Ebb & Flow trays, and they are looking great. They rapid rooters took with no problem, I just had to plant them like the above diagram and flood low, let the roots dig. Got it figured out, thanks guys! Always appreciate it! Wish I could light 1 up with ya for that advice!

Top Bottom