Hydroton or croutons?

• Thread starter tortuga1503
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tortuga1503

tortuga1503

I am trying to decide which of the 2 Im going with on the next run. I am currently useing both. Hydroton in a 4x8 E&F. I recently put a 6 plants in croutons in the flower room. The croutons seem to be making the plants really take off. I have never really had any success in RW. So never really liked RW but these coutons are different. Any one with experiance with both?

A

amstercal

I think there are a couple of good grows here using them. Do a search. I remember HannaMan had a nice one if memory serves. Just like with any RW I would beware overwatering.

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

Take a look at godan site. There are a few video to compare what your asking. I personally use hydroton just because i can reuse them.

tortuga1503

tortuga1503

Thanks for the replies. I am currently running E&F in hydroton. recently got a bag of croutons and put a couple of girls in a couple of pots. I have seen some of the fastest most vigorous growth ever in these croutons. I cant find anyone here that uses them. Im sure there are plenty that do. Ya AM I know all about the overwatering RW I hate RW in E&F,but I hand water these pots with croutons. They are worth trying forsure

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
are you using the rockwool croutons that are non-absorbant?

M

MRG33N

ooo yipes ill b setting up my E&F set up with coco insteada' hydroton, bad news i may b gettting my cuttings in RW, y r ppl so agasint RW?!

tortuga1503

tortuga1503

ML I am using the grodan grow cubes. They are made of bark and growcube 70/30 for water holding capacity. They are much different than RW. MrG I would use the hydroton if I was setting up a new e&f. I really like the hydroton in 2 gal pots. Cant be overwatered if you overfeed they can be flushed very quickly. As the pots start to dry out they create a very humid tropical atmoshere inside the pot, Your roots love that and thrive in it. Use a big air pump 1 watt per gal rez size. I only asked the question hydroton or croutons because I`m trying these croutons now and cant believe how my plants are performing in them. Runnin same strains in both mediums. They just grow differently in the croutons. Faster, bushier and always reaching straight up to the light. Very Alive. Im gonna try the croutons only next run.

M

MRG33N

=/ yaa tru ima cut out soe panda perfect squares and place over the tops of the cubes now, hopefully it wont turn all goopy i have a feelin its bcuz the light hits the moist nutrient saturated RW cube so if i cover the top aint no probbbbb

A

amstercal

I would concur and a little safers will take care of any. I'm just saying the cubes have a lot of the same issues as regular rw.

tortuga1503

tortuga1503

The rockwool needs to breath.If you overwater RW and have plastic covering the top,Its a recipe for disaster. Cover the top with a piece of coco mat and the RW can breath. I have also read that putting holes in the Hugo Blocks works really well 1/8 holes I think

Latest posts

Top Bottom