Hydroton sterilization

• Thread starter dankworth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dankworth

dankworth

I would like to know what others prefer when sterilizing their clay pellets. I am thinking h2o2 and bleach are the immediate options. Thanks everyone for their input.

These clay pellets have been kicking it outside for a few years. Who knows what is hanging out in them. I would prefer to avoid baking them in an oven if possible.

dankworth

dankworth

Screw that. They have been in the composter for several years. They are frozen into a giant ball. I am going to go to the store and buy some tomorrow. No way I am dealing with that. I will just rinse the new ones and call it good.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
lol.

10% bleach solution for the win next time . in a trashcan to soak overnight. then rinse.

Tank333

Tank333

lol.

10% bleach solution for the win next time . in a trashcan to soak overnight. then rinse.

That'll work for re-using it after harvest too, right? I'm pretty close to cuttin' my girls, and I really don't want to have to buy more of these things... lol

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

We used to have to wash 55 gallon drums of hydroton (5 at a time) and it was a huge pain in the ass! We would have one person going through them and pulling out all of the roots from the previous grow (this works better if the roots are fresh) then he would rinse the shit out of it to get any salts out... We would then fill up the drums with hydroton and a few airstones and then fill them with water and Simple Green and bubble them for 24 hours and then start rinsing...

We used to use bleach, but if you don't get it all rinsed out it leaches into your nutes and that caused problems a few times... Simple Green is not harmful to your plants and is biodegradeable also...

Unit541

Unit541

I do it exactly as MonsterRobot described, albeit on a much smaller scale. I use the small 20 gallon Brutes, one inside the other. The inner Brute has, well about 4 hours worth of 1/8" holes, and acts as a gigantic colander. The exterior Brute has a drain valve installed at the bottom.

Dump the HT in, fill and soak with Simple Green (what don't I clean with this stuff?) overnight. Drain and rinse.

One thing to not is that Simple Green is not a disinfectant. If the crop had any problems with rot or other living nasties in the root zone, SG will not get the job done.

X

xRenox

I try to save the stones after at least one grow and then replace after that one. Try anyway.

dankworth

dankworth

we need to find something lighter for making chow

Whatever. My next run will be gravel/coco mix. I will dress up like Fred Flintstone when I transplant. I will use an automotive engine hoist to move containers into position.

Seriously, though, I am dreading what the chow mix will do to my back by the end of tomorrow. I do wish there were something that would behave like clay pellets but was half the weight.

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

I do it exactly as MonsterRobot described, albeit on a much smaller scale. I use the small 20 gallon Brutes, one inside the other. The inner Brute has, well about 4 hours worth of 1/8" holes, and acts as a gigantic colander. The exterior Brute has a drain valve installed at the bottom.

Dump the HT in, fill and soak with Simple Green (what don't I clean with this stuff?) overnight. Drain and rinse.

One thing to not is that Simple Green is not a disinfectant. If the crop had any problems with rot or other living nasties in the root zone, SG will not get the job done.

Good point on the Simple Green not being a disinfectant... If you did have problems I would go with the Simple Green followed by dumping a bunch of 29% H2O2 in the barrel and letting that soak for a few hours and then rinsing it again before planting...

S

StonerScience

I use straight bleach, 1 cup in a large 100 gal bin filled halfway, have re-used my tron about 7-9 times, sucks to clean 12 50ltr bags of the stuff. and takes about 2 days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom