Hype, opinions......

• Thread starter booms
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

booms

Ive been thinking this for months now so figured id get somebody else opinion. See when this strain game started for me Northern lights, white widow, haze, and skunk were the strains sought by everybody. Then we had all kinds of crosses popping up after that. There was a huge variety of crosses for your head and palate. Ok now all the strains i see that best breeders are working with are from the same gene pools. doesnt make any sense. I was under the impression that in order to create something unique and exotic you need to cross 2 plants that are totally different in makeup, like a crazy potent pure afghani with a super intense haze. I know this has been done but look at whats being done now, og by chem, og x og , chem by chem all backcrossed, f2, f3, f4, you get the picture. So now we all sit around waiting for next hyped seeds to touchdown when we should be looking for are own needle in haystacks. take a chance try some old school strains see if they hold up to new hyped stuff. there is a reason skunks, nlights, widows, and hazes are still around........opinions please.......

B

bdawgburner

I would love to try some old school strains, but they just arent accessible by a lot of newer growers.

G

grizz

The fact is there isent very many of those old pure strain seeds around, and I use the word pure loosly because most if not all of those strains were crosses , wish like hell I could get some old northern lights, I know personaly that strain is at least 30 years old.

R

ReelBusy1

Ive been thinking this for months now so figured id get somebody else opinion. See when this strain game started for me Northern lights, white widow, haze, and skunk were the strains sought by everybody.

I must be old because I still love those strains and still work with them.

I was under the impression that in order to create something unique and exotic you need to cross 2 plants that are totally different in makeup, like a crazy potent pure afghani with a super intense haze. opinions please.......

Not actually really.... :)

IMHO most breeding that I see taking place today is not about creating something truly new and different but rather focused on extracting and stabilizing the best traits of the existing strains/genetics/phenos that are out there. Then branding those said genetics and getting them to market ASAP.
Example: Jack Herer begats Jack's Cleaner begats Jack Hammer etc.......
Don't even get me stated on the Kush/OG's. :)

I see nothing wrong with this and I don't mean to make this a blanket statement about ALL breeders but it is a different focus from a commercial standpoint than the one you describe.

Again IMHO it's also much harder for that truly NEW strain to get mojo in the market. Even if it a killer new flavor/taste/high it needs to get serious word of mouth (Cannabis Cup Winner etc) or play in the media like G-13 in AMERICAN BEAUTY to make a splash in today's market.

the last IMHO: I think those new killer strain searches are happening some on the commercial side but more often from the home Farmers like the ones here at the Farm.

Top Bottom