I’m dealing with Aliens

• Thread starter Dutchess
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dutchess

Dutchess

IT’S NOT FUNGUS GNATS

I have worms. I have weird ass space alien can’t find any info on them worms. Worms in my soil, worms in my babies, WORMS in my CLONE TRAY. Are they systemic? Are they parasitic? Are they nematodes? Are they larvea?
I’ve been growing professionally for over 10 years (Colorado) and my husband for has over 20 years experience. We’ve asked some different growers in our area and they didn’t know, we asked our local grow stores and they didn’t know. We are at the point where I may drop off a sample at the CSU Agricultural department. One of the guys at the grow store encouraged me to ask around on the internet as there has been some word about strange new pests in California that growers were being stumped by and no one knows what it is.

These worms start off blue in the clone tray, they kind of move like horse hair worms in the bottom of clone tray, they don’t move unless disturbed. Clone tray has white blotching inside the inserts that looks like bleach residue (it’s not I checked) and some of them have these orange goopy spots I’ve never seen before in my life, I thought they were types of mold but on the hottest days it’s a high of 88 and 70 at night, humidity is typically in the 30s in the veg room and at the most it will be 55 if raining outside. We did have a bout with thrips and root aphids but those are almost gone, we Venerate/Grandevo weekly. We grow in Cyco Coco perlite in summer and these popped up about 4-6 weeks ago. Some of the plants have mutated leaves and root shoots, some leaves look nute deficient in flower but all the plants are otherwise fine?

The worms sometime later in the clone tray (around 10+ days) move into the rapid rooter and turn white and HANG OUT of the rapid rooter like it’s a damn root. This is how my husband first discovered them, he thoroughly inspects roots and sprays them before transplanting and something looked off. So he nudged it with his tweezer and it popped back inside the rooter! He thought it was a giant fungus gnat so he dug the tweezers in and it put up a fight but he eventually was able to grab it and he pulled it out and it was almost 2 inches long, thinner than a root and slightly transparent. He went to touch it and the worm jumped from the tweezers to his finger and tried to wrap itself around his finger (gross). Since then we’ve noticed them in the newer clone trays and in the solo cups and in the veg 3-5 gallon pots. They are less noticeable once in the pots, sometimes I see one stick it’s head up out of the root ball on top. I rarely see them come out dead in the tray in the flower and we have DE on top in flower so I don’t see them on top.

any ideas? Here’s some pictures of clone tray, a moving worm in clone tray and some that we pulled out of the solo cups and put on a bucket during transplanting. I’ll try to get some videos if I feel brave.

Thanks!

Im dealing with aliens
Im dealing with aliens 2
Im dealing with aliens 3
Im dealing with aliens 4
Im dealing with aliens 5
Im dealing with aliens 6
Im dealing with aliens 7
Dutchess

Dutchess

By the 2nd week I thought they were pot worms too, but why don’t they come out the bottom? They ily stay near the top, why are hey blue when in the clone tray? How do they get in the clone tray? And why do they mimic roots? They just hang there not moving out of the rapid rooter. I also left out that they eat the ends of some of the roots and they attach themselves to the roots as well, I think they’re causing some of the plants to have the weird root branches out of the top. Do pot worms do that? I’d be happy if they were pot worms lol

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
By the 2nd week I thought they were pot worms too, but why don’t they come out the bottom? They ily stay near the top, why are hey blue when in the clone tray? How do they get in the clone tray? And why do they mimic roots? They just hang there not moving out of the rapid rooter. I also left out that they eat the ends of some of the roots and they attach themselves to the roots as well, I think they’re causing some of the plants to have the weird root branches out of the top. Do pot worms do that? I’d be happy if they were pot worms lol

I'm not all that familiar with them, I just know of them. They're usually found in either really wet compost or media fed with compost teas infected with them.
Not sure exactly why they're becoming so problematic for you, except possibly overly wet conditions and nothing else for them to eat.

I'm not sure exactly what to use for killing worms, but they will for sure attack roots if they have nothing else to eat. I'll look into it a bit later.

Seraphine

Seraphine

I’m going with potworms. They’re transparent so it could just be how the appear to look in different environments (e.g. clone tray vs rapid rooter). I’d try azamax which can be used as a soil drench. I’d also look into Bacillus thuringiensis which is a bacteria that will kill soil pests. Also check out og biowar root pack. Do you compost? Buy your soil? Just trying to figure out how they got in there.

Top Bottom