I’m definitely in hydro hell. Help.

• Thread starter VannahWhite
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
VannahWhite

VannahWhite

Welp trying this hydro thing again which seemed to be great until I did my first rez change. When I changed my res I noticed balls of brown sludge which researched and it sounded like brown algae? I wasn’t sure at first so I decided to clean everything with Physan 20. Also dipped my baby into h2o2. My roots were still within the hydroton 6’ netpot So I filled up to the one root sticking out the side. The baby showed stressed after so I thought maybe I over nute by 200 ppm so I took water out to bring it down by 100 ppm and ended at 380. The baby didn’t look any better so then I thought maybe over filled and took some water out. Now my baby is still hurting(tad droopy) and has papery leaves and is now yellowing. I decided maybe I took out too much water with maybe lowered the calmag so I added more cal mag. I hate being a beginner because I feel like I torture myself by learning everything the hard way.

Set up:
5 gallon rez
Temp: 67
Ppm:380
Ph : 5.8
Nutes: Maxigro, Calmag 5mg/gal
Hydroguard and Sensizym per instructions
2 small 2’ air stones right now but I have a 4 inch disc. I just haven’t had a chance to clean off all the brown sludge to throw it back in the Rez.
I believe This baby is in week 3/4. My baby was doing so well I really thought I was out of hydro purgatory.

Im definitely in hydro hell  help

savagenovelties

savagenovelties

Supporter
Just so ya know hydro is the most advanced method of growing for one reason. PH: ph changes so much in water. If you don’t have 2 meters what’s to say your meter goes out of wack and isn’t reading correctly. The second meter or vice versa will show the error.

010CAE7C 582C 4BE6 BB6D 0756C10CAF4C
VannahWhite

VannahWhite

Just so ya know hydro is the most advanced method of growing for one reason. PH: ph changes so much in water. If you don’t have 2 meters what’s to say your meter goes out of wack and isn’t reading correctly. The second meter or vice versa will show the error.

Hmmmm ok. The ph meter is the only one that I do not have 2 of. So I could go ahead a get a second one for comparison but the one I have came with little packs for me to test the accuracy of it. Maybe I’ll try that first and see what’s up. I’m thinking my plant is not getting worse at this point and the bottom leaves are just doing it’s dying thing. I guess we will see if there’s new growth as well.

savagenovelties

savagenovelties

Supporter
I feel for ya. I tried hydro over 10yrs ago and it was a pain. I’m in coco now bottom feeding and I’ll never look back. Ph is just so important. The 2 meters is to guarantee your ph is perfect every time.

VannahWhite

VannahWhite

I feel for ya. I tried hydro over 10yrs ago and it was a pain. I’m in coco now bottom feeding and I’ll never look back. Ph is just so important. The 2 meters is to guarantee your ph is perfect every time.

Checked the accuracy of my pH meter and it’s reading accurate per solution ph level. So it’s not the pH. I went through a rut with hydro so decided to dabble into coco as well. The bAbies are roughly 1 Week apart so I definitely see what you are saying. I just got all this equipment for hydro that I just wanted to see if I could ever be successful with it lol. Also included pics of my hydro baby today. It’s not getting worse and it could be my imagination but it not getting droopier. Also decided to do a foliar calcium spray.

E5F5A80D F04C 48F2 88E1 E2EB1E6AC131
912FC4FF 556D 4474 A8A8 EA23933A0C1E
6DFB31D9 9F37 4B89 8B58 F9A62387FC26
06DC7422 E3C0 41FA 9898 8FB20926A43A

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

That sprout isn't old enough to have anything growing in the water.... perhaps you had some contamination? DWC is a bit of work, but it's not rocket science or brain surgery. If you have calibration solution for your pH meter, and it reads properly in the solution, you're close enough. Can we see pics of the roots and the sludge?

VannahWhite

VannahWhite

That sprout isn't old enough to have anything growing in the water.... perhaps you had some contamination? DWC is a bit of work, but it's not rocket science or brain surgery. If you have calibration solution for your pH meter, and it reads properly in the solution, you're close enough. Can we see pics of the roots and the sludge?

I was dumb this time and didn’t put the roots low enough into the netpot so I could watch the roots. So yea no visual of roots yet and that one little root has gone away so I’m guessing the Sensizym ate it. Also unfortunately did not get pics of sludge. I wish I did though. I’m going to clean my airstone that was in the mess today and I’ll see if there’s sludge on it to show you. I decided to spray a calmag foilar spray since she’s showing deficiency. I feel like she’s liking that but I’m guessing it’s too early to tell.

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

What strain is this? It's not an auto-flower is it? (my luck with autos recently has sucked like a turbo-charged Dyson)

VannahWhite

VannahWhite

What strain is this? It's not an auto-flower is it? (my luck with autos recently has sucked like a turbo-charged Dyson)

bwahahahaha! No it’s a Fem Strawberry Cough. They both are. At least I think the hydro one is 🙃. I did desperate things when I was in my rut so I’m not quite sure if it’s strawberry or super lemon haze. I’m leaning more towards Strawberry though.

Bro I’m just happy to have at least one successful plant But I really thought I had this hydro thing down. I’m pretty sure you’re right about contamination but I thought I did really good this time. So far so good for the newer Rez. I did check my ph for the Rez today and it read 6.2 so I dropped it to 5.8 again. Will check tomorrow if this is becoming a trend. I read that that means I’m getting the sludge again.

Jermamma420

Jermamma420

I like the GH food. I havn't used the dry maxi grow, or bloom, tho. I used the liquid 3 part series for years. Once I learned about buying dry nutes instead of water, i started using Jacks 321.
From my experience trying all kinds of mediums, and hydro types (currently using smart pots, and trying drain to waste method),
I keep it very simple.
1- PH of course :) A phosphoric acid based PH down is the most stable, long lasting in my experience. Since you're using GH, they have a good PH kit as well.
2- As a beginner follow GH instructions, strictly. Don't add anything they don't tell you too for the whole entire grow. CalMag is good when you're sure you need it, it's not when you dont.
3- Keep light out of your water as much as possible. Keep aerated. A little algea won't hurt. I see it all the time, in my ebb and flow beds.
4- Res change. This works for me in a larger grow- A new res with nutes, as the plants drink the water every day, I replace only with water, Until I've replaced the resevoir's capacities worth, then I do a complete res change.
For instance If I have a 5 gallon res of nutes, I only add water, until I've added 5 gallons, and then I do a res change.
One plant, tho, just keep the water topped off, and change every week and should be good.
Dont give up, and good luck.

Last edited:
VannahWhite

VannahWhite

I like the GH food. I havn't used the dry maxi grow, or bloom, tho. I used the liquid 3 part series for years. Once I learned about buying dry nutes instead of water, i started using Jacks 321.
From my experience trying all kinds of mediums, and hydro types (currently using smart pots, and trying drain to waste method),
I keep it very simple.
1- PH of course :) A phosphoric acid based PH down is the most stable, long lasting in my experience. Since you're using GH, they have a good PH kit as well.
2- As a beginner follow GH instructions, strictly. Don't add anything they don't tell you too for the whole entire grow. CalMag is good when you're sure you need it, it's not when you dont.
3- Keep light out of your water as much as possible. Keep aerated. A little algea won't hurt. I see it all the time, in my ebb and flow beds.
4- Res change. This works for me in a larger grow- A new res with nutes, as the plants drink the water every day, I replace only with water, Until I've replaced the resevoir's capacities worth, then I do a complete res change.
For instance If I have a 5 gallon res of nutes, I only add water, until I've added 5 gallons, and then I do a res change.
One plant, tho, just change every week and should be good.
Dont give up, and good luck.

thanks for the tips and reassurance. I think I have a little bit of PTSD from my previous failed attempts Lol. I am using the GH ph up and down so good to know that it’s a good brand. I had to learn with the dry nutes to dissolve it in hot water before I use it and I just recently learned thAt there’s an order to add things into the res so I’m going to be more cognizant next change. Also you said to follow the instructions of the products’, what if that gives me more ppm than I need?

Since I have you attention, have you ever used silica?

Jermamma420

Jermamma420

thanks for the tips and reassurance. I think I have a little bit of PTSD from my previous failed attempts Lol. I am using the GH ph up and down so good to know that it’s a good brand. I had to learn with the dry nutes to dissolve it in hot water before I use it and I just recently learned thAt there’s an order to add things into the res so I’m going to be more cognizant next change. Also you said to follow the instructions of the products’, what if that gives me more ppm than I need?

Since I have you attention, have you ever used silica?
Sorry, I was gone for a few.
No I haven't used it.
I have used calmag in the past, and keep it around, but really, I don't have issues that often except my grow room gets too hot without a good sized AC. It died again this year, and using 10" exhaust and fans dont cut it.
If whats called the VPD (vapor pressure deficit) is real bad it will show up as nute deficiencies like crazy, and correcting anything but the environment, only makes it worse.
That's what I've been dealing with last couple months.
The GH series always did fine for me without anything else. I have 200 ppm well water, and I don't even have to adjust the PH here, ever. Not so at the other place I grew, lol.
GH instructions, always worked for me.
I started out using that old, famous recipe, oh yeah the Lucas formula. That worked good too, but I think GH instructions are even better.
Start at the lower end to be safe.

Last edited:
Jermamma420

Jermamma420

No I haven't used it.
I have used calmag in the past, and keep it around, but really, I don't have issues that often except my grow room gets too hot without a good sized AC. It died again this year, and using 10" exhaust and fans dont cut it.
If whats called the VPD (vapor pressure deficit) is real bad it will show up as nute deficiencies like crazy, and correcting anything but the environment, only makes it worse.
The GH series always did fine for me without anything else. I have 200 ppm well water, and I don't even have to adjust the PH here, ever. Not so at the other place I grew, lol.
I started out using that old, famous recipe, oh yeah the Lucas formula. That worked good too, but I think GH instructions are even better.
Also take notes on your PPMs, and how it changes during adding back water, and how the PH changes during the grow. That way you're learning, and can adjust in future grows, like adding bloom boosters, etc.

VannahWhite

VannahWhite

No I haven't used it.
Oh I didn’t mention that I use Distilled water so I’m supplementing calmag more because of it. I currently am using a res chiller so temp Rez is not an issue. Room temp is 77-79 and I read that’s ok. My PPM might be too high, would my plant react like that with a ppm that is 100 too high?

Jermamma420

Jermamma420

Oh I didn’t mention that I use Distilled water so I’m supplementing calmag more because of it. I currently am using a res chiller so temp Rez is not an issue. Room temp is 77-79 and I read that’s ok. My PPM might be too high, would my plant react like that with a ppm that is 100 too high?
Honestly, I'm thinking the h2o2 maybe burned the roots a little. I've heard it can do that sometimes. But ive used it in my cloning res, so IDK.

Jermamma420

Jermamma420

Honestly, I'm thinking the h2o2 maybe burned the roots a little. I've heard it can do that sometimes. But ive used it in my cloning res, so IDK.
I don't think you would need to worry about supplimenting the cal mag until the plant gets bigger, I'm suspicious it may be blocking nutes to the seedling, even though your PH is good.
Maxibloom has Calcium and magnesium already in it.

VannahWhite

VannahWhite

It’s possible but I did use it super diluted. I do a ton of crazy shit when I panic with hydro. It’s ridiculous. I did a lot better this time to control the panic lol. I think the thing to do right now is to wait and see what the plant does next. Oh also I’m going to clean my 4’ air stone and throw it back in there.

Jermamma420

Jermamma420

It’s possible but I did use it super diluted. I do a ton of crazy shit when I panic with hydro. It’s ridiculous. I did a lot better this time to control the panic lol. I think the thing to do right now is to wait and see what the plant does next. Oh also I’m going to clean my 4’ air stone and throw it back in there.
Never too many bubbles :)

VannahWhite

VannahWhite

I don't think you would need to worry about supplimenting the cal mag until the plant gets bigger, I'm suspicious it may be blocking nutes to the seedling, even though your PH is good.
Maxibloom has Calcium and magnesium already in it.

It’s possible the 100ppm of extra calmag is an issue. I will see. I have a plant in coco and realized how important calmag was so I tried to applied that thought process to the hydro as well.

Jermamma420

Jermamma420

It’s possible the 100ppm of extra calmag is an issue. I will see. I have a plant in coco and realized how important calmag was so I tried to applied that thought process to the hydro as well.
They do like it more than most plants. When I grow in soil, I always use about tbs of extra epsom salts in 5 gallon bucket when I feed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom