I’m definitely in hydro hell. Help.

• Thread starter VannahWhite
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GreatWhiteShart

GreatWhiteShart

I use the maxi series, it does have cal mag, but not enough for the plants. I would add 1 ml per gallon when they are small, and 2ml per gallon the rest of the grow with 0ppm water.

Only word of advice with the dry nutes, mix them the day before, they give a huge ph swing after the day after mixing because it take time to dissolve fully.

With the silica, just make sure you add it first to the water, and let it sit for an hour. Then add your cal mag, base nutes, and goodies. It can lockout nutes if you don't use it right. Alot of people add it, wait and hour, then ph down to 6. It tends to drive the ph to 9+

VannahWhite

VannahWhite

I use the maxi series, it does have cal mag, but not enough for the plants. I would add 1 ml per gallon when they are small, and 2ml per gallon the rest of the grow with 0ppm water.

Only word of advice with the dry nutes, mix them the day before, they give a huge ph swing after the day after mixing because it take time to dissolve fully.

With the silica, just make sure you add it first to the water, and let it sit for an hour. Then add your cal mag, base nutes, and goodies. It can lockout nutes if you don't use it right. Alot of people add it, wait and hour, then ph down to 6. It tends to drive the ph to 9+
Thank you for your knowledge. Unfortunately I couldn’t turn the baby around quick enough. I think it had to do with the brown sludge that I didn’t clean up near the roots so my plant was fighting with it for food. I thought a bath of hydrogen peroxide would work but I should have taken it out of the hydroton and did a more thorough investigation and cleaning. Lesson learned except I don’t know when I’ll attempt hydro again now that I see how well coco has treated me. I will apply the mixing order and suggestions with my coco grow. I’m using an Octopot so I am still refilling a res of some sorts.

VannahWhite

VannahWhite

Update: I was hopeful that the measures I took were enough but it wasn’t. I did see improvement but when I change the res, I thought just dunking the netpot with plant and all in Hydrogen Peroxide would be enough. It wasn’t. When I called the time of death, I investigated a tad more and found some type of growth(probably the brown sludge/algae) near the root of the plant. I’m guessing the plant was fighting with that for food and it lost. In theory, I think I did everything that gave the plant a chance except this part. If I ever try hydro again, I think I will be successful but coco coir has been so good to me, I don’t see myself trying hydro again. Much respect to the hydro growers though being that it’s such a tedious task. I think I went through some depression trying to figure it all out lol. On hindsight, I learned a lot.

Jermamma420

Jermamma420

coco coir
It sounds like you are growing hydro without realizing it.
If you're growing in coco, and feeding when you water, you're basically doing what I'm doing now.
It's called "Drain to waste". ie Watering(feeding) with run off ;)
A lot of people do it without realizing it's a type of hydro.
Sorry your baby didn't make it.

VannahWhite

VannahWhite

It sounds like you are growing hydro without realizing it.
If you're growing in coco, and feeding when you water, you're basically doing what I'm doing now.
It's called "Drain to waste". ie Watering(feeding) with run off ;)
A lot of people do it without realizing it's a type of hydro.
Sorry your baby didn't make it.
Oh yes, I do know it's considered semi hydro. I love it. I do not see myself turning back. I decided to try out the Octopot because I was already applying the self wicking idea with my veggies. I love it!! Although I see myself loving the Drain to Waste idea because it would give me something to do everyday, this set up allows me to leave her for about a week before I have to refill the res. I'M IN LOVE with it. I love coco coir too. Fertigating gave me something to do everyday lol.

Jermamma420

Jermamma420

Oh yes, I do know it's considered semi hydro. I love it. I do not see myself turning back. I decided to try out the Octopot because I was already applying the self wicking idea with my veggies. I love it!! Although I see myself loving the Drain to Waste idea because it would give me something to do everyday, this set up allows me to leave her for about a week before I have to refill the res. I'M IN LOVE with it. I love coco coir too. Fertigating gave me something to do everyday lol.
I hear that. I've been eye balling those octopots myself. I love that system.

VannahWhite

VannahWhite

I hear that. I've been eye balling those octopots myself. I love that system.
They are not expensive. They do everything I need it to and fun to learn about. I get the hydro feel with the reservoir but also get to work with substrate. I would go for it if I were already eyeballing!. I have zero complaints. It's everything you need in one system and they look cohesive lol. If you do, let me know if you have any questions. I'm going to post soon about my coco/octo grow.

Bonesy512

Bonesy512

Just so ya know hydro is the most advanced method of growing for one reason. PH: ph changes so much in water. If you don’t have 2 meters what’s to say your meter goes out of wack and isn’t reading correctly. The second meter or vice versa will show the error.
just ordered a guardian. love that you use 2

Craycrayracing

Craycrayracing

I feel for ya. I tried hydro over 10yrs ago and it was a pain. I’m in coco now bottom feeding and I’ll never look back. Ph is just so important. The 2 meters is to guarantee your ph is perfect every time.
any chance that you would share your cocoa mixture with a fellow grower? :-) cuz I'm new and I'm very scientific about everything but with experience those mixtures sir..... make it very easy for a new grow or to learn :-)

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

don't bum out, put it down to experience, if/when you revisit growing other hydroponic methods hopefully it clicks together better. put it aside, let it alone, get a grow going in that coco.

here i am avoiding coco grow, as i thought it was more fussy to grow with.

VannahWhite

VannahWhite

don't bum out, put it down to experience, if/when you revisit growing other hydroponic methods hopefully it clicks together better. put it aside, let it alone, get a grow going in that coco.

here i am avoiding coco grow, as i thought it was more fussy to grow with.

Lol thanks for the kind words. I am currently writing my coco post actually. I was so tired of zero success that I decided to start a coco grow with my last hydro attempt. It’s a beautiful thing. It’s a Semi hydro set up so i get the best of both worlds. I will link the post here.

VannahWhite

VannahWhite

for anyone interested in my first coco grow. I’m in love with it and it treats me well.

VannahWhite

VannahWhite

any chance that you would share your cocoa mixture with a fellow grower? :-) cuz I'm new and I'm very scientific about everything but with experience those mixtures sir..... make it very easy for a new grow or to learn :-)
If you’d like I just linked my coco grow on a reply here. 👍🏻

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
top feed the hydroton till the roots are down to the water level. By hand or drip. Nutes are fine. Calmg prob too much tho. With my very limited experience in dwc I dripped the net pots for the first week or so till roots were out the bottom to the water level.

Top Bottom