I am having thrip issues, help!

• Thread starter Bzy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bzy

Bzy

So I grow indoor and outdoor... This is my first year going indoor.. I had to remove my 2 mother plants due to a massive thrip infestation, no biggy whatever... I cleaned the mother tent and disposed of the issue. (used alchohol and hot water and soap + hot water.) But I noticed I now have thrips in my veg tent. So I sprayed all the plants down with 90% alcohol + warm water. Havn't had a chance to see how they've reacted, but I ordered Spinosad. Now I have tons of Thrips on my outdoor plants, I see ladybugs everywhere but still tons of thrips, they are about first week into pre flower but I hear Spinosad is unsafe to smoke. So what do I do? I'm pissed because either my outdoor crop brought thrips indoor or visa versa but either way both my grows now have them...

Not sure if it was the soil I bought or had sitting, I wasnt changing clothes before going into my grow room so who knows... All I know is I want these gone and in the least harmful way possible. Like I said I ordered Spinosad because everyone is saying its the best for thrips, but now I'm reading its banned and can be bad to smoke. So is there another spray I can use otherwise? I know I cross contaminated my room or my outdoor and now I want these things GONE!

What do I need to order, throw me some links guys... Also should I even treat my outdoor plants or just let them go? Websites say thrips arent as bad outdoor and I have tons of ladybugs etc, but plants are about to flower and if I'm going to spray them nows the time.

mancorn

mancorn

I would do an outdoor isopropyl alcohol spray (2 cups 70% per gallon) if the plants are in early flower. It’s true that trips are going to be around outdoors and most times not a huge problem, but better to knock them down before flower when you’ll have less options. Plus an alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and soap spray can knock back mites. Alcohol will dissolve THC so you don’t want to use it once you’re in full flower. You can also rinse the plant off with plain water once it drys out to remove an residual spray.

Scar818

Scar818

Ok i had a thrip problem too a lot of them. What i did was buy 4 medicines. Azamax, crop control, monterey insecticide, also yoi can buy plant therapy. I mixed azamax with 40ml per gallon, crop control 75ml, and monterey it says on thr bottle i believe its 30ml. I sprayed them. 5-7 days later i applied it second time with azamax monterey and plant therapy. If u see still a lot of them after the 1st application you can increase the dose by 50%. Make surr you drench them

mancorn

mancorn

Ok i had a thrip problem too a lot of them. What i did was buy 4 medicines. Azamax, crop control, monterey insecticide, also yoi can buy plant therapy. I mixed azamax with 40ml per gallon, crop control 75ml, and monterey it says on thr bottle i believe its 30ml. I sprayed them. 5-7 days later i applied it second time with azamax monterey and plant therapy. If u see still a lot of them after the 1st application you can increase the dose by 50%. Make surr you drench them
Having a rotation program to keep thrips (and mites) from becoming resistant is important, so better to use your insecticides one at a time in rotation instead of combining them.

Bzy

Bzy

I would do an outdoor isopropyl alcohol spray (2 cups 70% per gallon) if the plants are in early flower. It’s true that trips are going to be around outdoors and most times not a huge problem, but better to knock them down before flower when you’ll have less options. Plus an alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and soap spray can knock back mites. Alcohol will dissolve THC so you don’t want to use it once you’re in full flower. You can also rinse the plant off with plain water once it drys out to remove an residual spray.

I personally dont want to spray alcohol on my outdoor plants... the indoor is an experiment so im less hesitant. I think I'm going to use the Spinosad on the outdoor plants.

Bzy

Bzy

seems like a lot of money for thrips... I'll see how the Monterey does that I ordered and if it doesnt work well I'll add Azamax.

Bzy

Bzy

I guess I was just hoping for a more safer natural method versus Spinosad, I heard that shit is bad to smoke.

mancorn

mancorn

I guess I was just hoping for a more safer natural method versus Spinosad, I heard that shit is bad to smoke.
Spinosad is natural. Doesn’t mean it won’t kill you. I use it this time of year as it seems pretty safe. Not good for bees, however.

Scar818

Scar818

Having a rotation program to keep thrips (and mites) from becoming resistant is important, so better to use your insecticides one at a time in rotation instead of combining them.
Thats why there are 4 different medicine i mix 2 or 3 then spray then switch on the other application l. But the 4 i mentioned are very good and got rid of both thrips and spider mites i had

mancorn

mancorn

Thats why there are 4 different medicine i mix 2 or 3 then spray then switch on the other application l. But the 4 i mentioned are very good and got rid of both thrips and spider mites i had
The entire point of rotating your sprays is to keep the pest from being exposed to any one specific spray repeatedly. If you’re combining 3 sprays together, then your just speeding up the pest resistance to all 3 of your sprays. You want to go as long as possible before reapply any 1 spray. Combining them together negates the entire purpose of a rotation program.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I don’t know where you live, what type of climate you are in but if it’s dry don’t discount grabbing the garden hose and blasting the hell out of them bottom and top. Be thorough about it. Use your thumb on the hose and hit them hard. I have minor might and I think threw up. I think the water has done as much good as the spinner sad and the pure crop. Seems to keep them under control. Boy those plants sure seem to love pure crop.

Bzy

Bzy

Well i inspected my outdoor and have tons of them... i didnt even know they fuck with outdoor plants. One of my plants started to flower the rest are still in veg.

Santa.ClausHOHOHO

Santa.ClausHOHOHO

I just dealt with Thrips and Aphids the past couple of weeks.
I talked to the folks at Lost Coast. The mixture he advised me to use is as follows.
2oz of Lost Coast Plant Therapy to 1 gallon of water along with 1 oz of alcohol (71%) or stronger per gallon of water mixed in with the LC.
Use for 3 days in a row. Then once or twice a week for maintenance. Of course thoroughly saturate the plant, top side, under side of Leaf's as well as the main stem and branches
It worked great for me.

At the same time I was developing a Leaf Septora (Fungus) issue. The Lost Coast worked on that as well.
It can be a bit pricey, but it worked. I bought a back pack sprayer ( 4 gallon) That helped cut down the amount of time it took to spray these beast. This is an outdoor grow. I also sprayed the entire border area of the garden. I did a maintenance spray last night as I am starting to flower. Hoping these issues are more or less behind me.

Git after um. Good luck...

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

You bleach out your area after an infestation, i cured a case of thrips by using a drop of dawn and spayed the leaves to make them unpalatable then de earthed the plants, not my best grow but it worked.

Top Bottom