I am in a Hot and Humid Climate...

• Thread starter Sneef
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sneef

I live in a country that has extremely high Humidity pretty much all year, and temps inside a typical poorly insulated building here run about 86f / 30c day and night x 365

I have been told that both the heat and the humidity are going to pose challenges for growing (i have very very limited experience and this will be my first grow in nearly 20 years).

I intend to use LED lighting, as this will assist me by not adding much heat to my plan, also the discount in electric use compared with other lights will be welcome.

I am assuming that i need to run Air Conditioning 24/7 in the room/tent (i intend to use a 4.5'x4.5'x6.5' grow tent).

What i would like to know from experienced heads here is,

What are we trying to combat most? Heat or Humidity or Both?

What are the negative effects from Heat and/or Humidity on the crop? (have heard references to Buds rotting on the inside, any comments would be valuable folks)

Any recommendations for a strain to grow? I am not looking to grow a warehouse of weed, just a couple of plants, hopin to kick out an LB

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

de-huey.

throw the light bright in the trash and get and HID light. if you have AC in your room/tent you should have to worry about temps. get a de humidifier and you'll be fine.

the real thing to worry about IMHO is drying/curing your herb. that is HALF of the task of getting good herb, and the high humidity always make it a little more difficult.... had a few rotters just while drying, cause they werent drying they were technically in a fucking sauna..

fuck the south. haha. but good luck!

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

lol...

and edit - **SHOULD NOT have to worry about temps as much with the AC... not should

E

eircsmith

Check the ratio of actual water vapor content to the saturated water vapor content at a given temperature and pressure that will give you the answer and depends on a strain and type of rain. It would actually help your plant.

420Gator

420Gator

LOTS of air movement...... I second tossing the xmas tree lights

F

fuzzy

If growing in high humidity,a dehumidifier is a must during the end of flower and for drying,peace,fuzzy ps, yes, lots of air movement

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You folks don't think something like a good quality mini split AC would handle both temps and humidity?

To the OP, rock those LEDs! ROCK THEM! Also, even though they would take a LOT longer to run and finish, I'll suggest some Sativa-leaning lines, like, say... Lambs Bread or a Thai line. Probably not a landrace, but a strong cross.

To the folks who insist that LEDs can't match HID in terms of push, can you explain how it is that LEDs can (and do) burn corals? You know, the organisms that live under water, but use light in conjunction with symbiotic algae to grow and build coral reefs. How can those little ol' lights burn something that's submerged? Please esplain that. :)

S

Sneef

Thank for the answers so far everyone, in rapid order i am learning a lot

So let us assume that i used only a De-huey, and i got the humidity down to whatever an acceptable level is (what is considered good/normal/safe?), can i grow in perpetual 80-85 degree weather, if i have my humidity levels all sorted out?

I am hoping everyone will scream out yes, as it is surely cheaper to de-huey a room than to chill it 24/7

@SeaMaiden: thanks for some strain ideas, I'll look into them.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

No, the higher your temps then the higher your RH should be. If you use only a dehumidifier then it will be worse then using nothing. Get a 5000 btu window A/C for $100 and use ducting to put all the air in your tent, it will honestly cost you about $20 a month or so and it naturally dehumidifies the air. With temps in the mid-high 70's F you should keep your RH around 50-60% then drop it during the last few weeks of flower to 40-50%. Just my 2 cents.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, learn about vapor pressure deficit. You'll shut it down if you make things too dry while allowing high temps.

F

fuzzy

My humidity is so high(90-100%) that i have to have both,a a/c and a dehumidifier and my rh is at 50%.I just bought the dehuey though because of a strain that im running right now that gets so dense.peace,fuzzy

squiggly

squiggly

de-huey.

throw the light bright in the trash and get and HID light. if you have AC in your room/tent you should have to worry about temps. get a de humidifier and you'll be fine.

the real thing to worry about IMHO is drying/curing your herb. that is HALF of the task of getting good herb, and the high humidity always make it a little more difficult.... had a few rotters just while drying, cause they werent drying they were technically in a fucking sauna..

fuck the south. haha. but good luck!

I disagree about the "Lite Brite" with a noted reservation depending on which brand he has.

LEDs really are perfect for a high heat situation--they also work quite well for a 1st grow. You're not going to produce anything giant to write home about, but it will be one less environmental factor to worry about on the initial run.

LEDs can work perfectly well for A LOT of people's purposes and sensibilities. It's likely never (or not in the next 15ish years or so) going to take the place of HID in terms of commercial production--but for personal I think there's a number of reasons you might opt for LED.

I'm not just basing this off knowledge of lighting, I am referencing personal experience here. LEDs work (if you have a decent board).

I would recommend, however, looking into EDFL lighting like Indagro or what-have-you, as these can be a sometimes better alternative to LED. Many of the same benefits, without all of the cons (though there are still some).

420Gator

420Gator

You folks don't think something like a good quality mini split AC would handle both temps and humidity?

To the OP, rock those LEDs! ROCK THEM! Also, even though they would take a LOT longer to run and finish, I'll suggest some Sativa-leaning lines, like, say... Lambs Bread or a Thai line. Probably not a landrace, but a strong cross.

To the folks who insist that LEDs can't match HID in terms of push, can you explain how it is that LEDs can (and do) burn corals? You know, the organisms that live under water, but use light in conjunction with symbiotic algae to grow and build coral reefs. How can those little ol' lights burn something that's submerged? Please esplain that. :)

because corals are pussies:p

totally agreed on sativas tho, golden advice. Id go with blue dream but like u said any sat dom will do better in high humidity

Top Bottom