I Believe 62% Humidity Storage Is Too Dry. Am I Wrong?

• Thread starter WeedBurger
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

WeedBurger

I have read, and read, and read, and read about this.

From what I can see, the consensus is that 62% is the ideal temperature for storing weed, and they even have Boveda humidity packs made just for that exact percent humidity.

Here's the problem:

At 62% my glorious soft, fluffy weed that is handed to me fresh from the dispensary immediately after delivery................ turns into a hard, dry, rough, jagged-edged piece of tree bark.

I store mine in an air tight container in a wine cooler so the temperature is a perfect 57-ish degrees. Nice and cool.

But with the 62% bovedas in the jar, and a digital humidity sensor showing 60 to 62%, the weed does NOT stay "soft" and fuzzy. Its extremely dry to the touch.

NOW ...

I am hardly an expert.

To me - i assume "FRESH WEED" to feel like a fluffy, soft fur. Maybe I am wrong about this? Maybe the outsides of the "bud" are supposed to feel harsh and dry, because the inside stays moist-ish ???

I actually put a 69% Boveda into the jar instead, and they "fluffied" back up to soft fluffiness again. But everywhere I read, at this percent, it will develop "mold".

Is it possible the recommended 62% might be a little too dry?

Thoughts?

G gnome

G gnome

I have read, and read, and read, and read about this.

From what I can see, the consensus is that 62% is the ideal temperature for storing weed, and they even have Boveda humidity packs made just for that exact percent humidity.

Here's the problem:

At 62% my glorious soft, fluffy weed that is handed to me fresh from the dispensary immediately after delivery................ turns into a hard, dry, rough, jagged-edged piece of tree bark.

I store mine in an air tight container in a wine cooler so the temperature is a perfect 57-ish degrees. Nice and cool.

But with the 62% bovedas in the jar, and a digital humidity sensor showing 60 to 62%, the weed does NOT stay "soft" and fuzzy. Its extremely dry to the touch.

NOW ...

I am hardly an expert.

To me - i assume "FRESH WEED" to feel like a fluffy, soft fur. Maybe I am wrong about this? Maybe the outsides of the "bud" are supposed to feel harsh and dry, because the inside stays moist-ish ???

I actually put a 69% Boveda into the jar instead, and they "fluffied" back up to soft fluffiness again. But everywhere I read, at this percent, it will develop "mold".

Is it possible the recommended 62% might be a little too dry?

Thoughts?
Its a matter preference. I actually prefer mine a lil dryer than what the 62% packs make it. If u like what the 69% packs do then by all means use em.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Soft and fluffy = the presence of moisture. So your 3.5 eighth has about .3g of moisture. Unsmokable weight you paid for. 69% packs are too wet. 62% is the idea

draco

draco

i have some mango haze that is five years old and is still quite flavorful - stored at 54%. i don't put it in jars until it has come down to 55%... using CaliberIII

with what i grow, 62% is too wet to smoke. 45 to 50% is where the flavor and potency is.

just my opinion of course.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I went from the 62% bovedas to the 58 as I feel the 62's are a tad too moist. All about personal preference really.

With the 62's I found I was having to leave some nuggets out to air for a couple of hours prior to tokin as the buds seem to burn much better having dried out a tad from the 62% levels.

The jury is still out on the 58's as I just made the change over and it will be months before I will see what difference it makes.

R

rascali

It is different for everyone, size of container, amount of material, shape of container, ambient climate, type of container, temp, personal pref's...
That's why they come in so many RH's - find what works for you.

Dunge

Dunge

I suspect that your Bovida is dry.
If you can feel any hard or gritty matter when squeezing the pack then it has dried out.
I should feel like a water jell.
The packs will re-hydrate if placed in a 100% humid environment.
A jar with water in it and some mechanism to keep the pack out of the water is what I use.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
i have some mango haze that is five years old and is still quite flavorful - stored at 54%. i don't put it in jars until it has come down to 55%... using CaliberIII

with what i grow, 62% is too wet to smoke. 45 to 50% is where the flavor and potency is.

just my opinion of course.
I agree, 50 to 55 % is my preference

xenon730

xenon730

I find the 62 wet And have stopped using any packs. I dry each jar overnight one night before providing though as i keep my jars as close to 63 as they'll stay until being consumed.

Freshone

Freshone

62 is good for storage for me,when you take some out to smoke it losses moisture pretty fast.I agree 62 is a little too high to burn right out of the jar but it's perfect real quick in my dry enviro.
Another quick thought is I dried and cured in jars for decades without ANY boveda packs,kind of like a fishing lure,does it catch the fish or the fisherman?lol.

StandingRock

StandingRock

I do 58 as well. I found 62 to be too dry. I really like to roast mine though.

below frigid

below frigid

If your putting it on a jar with a 62 boveda pack and it's still getting dry on you. The weed could have been over dried and then re hydrated before it was sold to you.

Leew421

Leew421

I will never put another boveda pack in my jar again. The packs remove terps from buds. The terps can't transfer back once they pass. It's too easy to open a jar and take a big smell and look. I would recommend against the packs 100%

Latest posts

Top Bottom