I Called Fluence..

• Thread starter PassTheJ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

PassTheJ

I called Fluence and got alot of information from them. Felt like sharing some of it..

1. THEY USE A 2.5 METER SPHERE... They have one in shop. If you live in Texas, you may walk in and look at it if you like.. Their specs are based on the sphere. Hopefully that clears things up with those who think they dont.

2. Some of the reasons why they're twice the price.. Warranty.. 2 extra years vs HLG and PLC.
Cost of manufacturing.. Unlike everyone that uses fixed sizes, they have spreadable, bendable, detachable bars for user preference. The cost is far greater on their end to build. Their light spectrum has more blues and reds and has higher intensity overall for all bands compared to HLG550s and plc 6.2.. They are more efficient then HLG 550s and the plc 6.2. I don't remember how much more he said but it wasnt that much for me to be impressed. There were alot more reasons, but they have to do with catering then quality and efficiency of the actual lights.

3. They upgrade their light every 6 months. This year it was water proofing connectors.. End of this year, a more programmable dimmer. They dont expect anything new anytime soon. Just improvements for the near future so dont expect to have the same effect as one would with a cell phone.

From everything I gather, their price has nothing to do with stupid consumers like some here have claimed. It's all about their marketing and who they market. They target mostly big professional grow shops. Their pitch is, Save thousands a year on electric with the most efficient and superb quality LEDs on the market hands down. Which really is THOUSANDS if you think about how much electric goes for using non led lights with a massive grow.

They're really good lights. Better then anything else on the market. But they're meant for specific growers who's benefits would far exceed that of a hobbyist. Their price is perfectly fine if thats the market your in and has nothing to do with consumer stupidity keeping them afloat.

Just felt like I owed ya'll some information after bugging everyone about it..

If you think I should have asked something specific, let me know. I'll call back later and ask. I'm still probably going to purchase them so I'll be calling them anyways.

sixstring

sixstring

.1425 umols/s or 2.08 umol/j
not the best at all ^^^^ close enough though if you put it up against a 750w gavita or 630w cmh it has an edge.but it falls short against hlg and plc,and a few others.hell i think spectrum king has them beat in efficiency lol. @PassTheJ did you get a price shipped to you with controller yet? im guessing 2k to your door with controller and power cord,plus hangers.
gavita 750w Comes with the new Gavita Pro 750W 400V EL DE lamp, 1500 μmol s-1(2.0 umol/j)
dimlux dual 315w cmh Highly efficient - puts out 1.9 micromole (umol) per watt of electricity
it may have a better spectrum then some led fixtures but i would say not better than the dual cmh with both colors installed. at least they have a sphere and didnt just use simple math or a shitty par meter.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

.1425 umols/s or 2.08 umol/j
not the best at all ^^^^ close enough though if you put it up against a 750w gavita or 630w cmh it has an edge.but it falls short against hlg and plc,and a few others.hell i think spectrum king has them beat in efficiency lol. @PassTheJ did you get a price shipped to you with controller yet? im guessing 2k to your door with controller and power cord,plus hangers.
gavita 750w Comes with the new Gavita Pro 750W 400V EL DE lamp, 1500 μmol s-1(2.0 umol/j)
dimlux dual 315w cmh Highly efficient - puts out 1.9 micromole (umol) per watt of electricity
it may have a better spectrum then some led fixtures but i would say not better than the dual cmh with both colors installed. at least they have a sphere and didnt just use simple math or a shitty par meter.

What’s your take on the new black dog 2’s with uv and ir?

K

kansabis

No one said they were bad lights or people bought them cuz they are stupid,I said overall most consumers do so out of impulse and don't research properly or determine actual necessity of purchases,they are good/great lights that are overpriced slightly but that's simply a majority opinion of some people here,it's not going to stop people who have the money and want a Spyder from buying one and I don't believe anyone here is trying to stop anyone from buying whatever they want to.

sixstring

sixstring

I'm not familiar with it,toss up a link to the specific model would like to check it out.there was a time right after I got my Mars panel I had wished I got a black dog.
No one said they were bad lights or people bought them cuz they are stupid,I said overall most consumers do so out of impulse and don't research properly or determine actual necessity of purchases,they are good/great lights that are overpriced slightly but that's simply a majority opinion of some people here,it's not going to stop people who have the money and want a Spyder from buying one and I don't believe anyone here is trying to stop anyone from buying whatever they want to.
Yeah don't get me wrong,I would like to see someone get one and document the grow here.i just feel like 2 bucks plus per watt is too expensive for any light.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Here’s some links. They make more powerful ones two but I have a ceiling height issue and am still leaning to the sun systems lec. Growers house has the best model for $377 each shipped now. My hps set ups are all 4 years old now.

https://www.blackdogled.com/products-led/led-grow-lights/phytomax2-200.html

https://www.blackdogled.com/products-led/led-grow-lights/phytomax2-400.html

Pacific had the 4x4 cob pre built for $750 if there are any left. Seems the best deal but much less specific lighting spectrum than black dog or fluence.

Homesteader

Homesteader

If they are anything like the Black Dog 1's, they are chinese junk....except the heatsink.....I hear they are even using Osram and Cree NOW.......
Does their wattage include their fans? Why would you need IR? Add more light if you need more heat. Can you turn off the UV? UV diodes are high wattage and is their any benefit in Veg?

To be honest, one of the biggest waste of $2k I ever made.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

If they are anything like the Black Dog 1's, they are chinese junk....except the heatsink.....I hear they are even using Osram and Cree NOW.......
Does their wattage include their fans? Why would you need IR? Can you turn off the UV? UV diodes are high wattage and is their any benefit in Veg?

To be honest, one of the biggest waste of $2k I ever made.

I like the ir because of the cold house and climate I live in. I might need a heater all winter to keep temps up with qb or cobs alone.

I use my hps growroom exhaust to actually supplementally heat my house. Propane is expensive.

Homesteader

Homesteader

There are easier and cheaper ways to raise the temps than IR diodes. NIR in the 730nm at dusk I can see but using it all day does nothing in my view other than make the dial spin faster. UV diodes have limited life and are inefficient.

Again the heatsinks are badass though, real badass.

How much of the UV is filtered with their glass I wonder.
The drivers were total shit though. I hope for everyone sake they use some quality this time.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

There are easier and cheaper ways to raise the temps than IR diodes. NIR in the 730nm at dusk I can see but using it all day does nothing in my view other than make the dial spin faster. UV diodes have limited life and are inefficient.

The drivers were total shit though. I hope for everyone sake they use some quality this time.

Got some suggestions to cover 2000 aprox watts of exhausted growroom heat that reduced my heating bill over $800 this year?

P

PharmHand

Plants DO actually use the ir portion of the spectrum for plant growth, believe it or not- it’s not simply heat. From uvb to ir and everything in between is all used for growth when multiple or all wavelengths are present. It’s a synergistic effect. No arrogance intended just sharin needles, I mean knowledge:)

Homesteader

Homesteader

Plants DO actually use the ir portion of the spectrum for plant growth, believe it or not- it’s not simply heat.
NIR is important for flowering. IR diodes are a waste of $$$ and unneeded IMO. Blackdog is trying to separate themselves by using their synergy lingo but timing in spectrum is everything. Just throwing the kitchen sink only produces waste and mediocrity. Why throw NIR during the daylight hours? It really makes no sense nor does UV in veg. I am not even a believer in UV for flower but Ill give it here for the sake of argument.

P

PharmHand

NIR is important for flowering. IR diodes are a waste of $$$ and unneeded IMO. Blackdog is trying to separate themselves by using their synergy lingo but timing in spectrum is everything. Just throwing the kitchen sink only produces waste and mediocrity. Why throw NIR during the daylight hours? It really makes no sense nor does UV in veg. I am not even a believer in UV for flower but Ill give it here for the sake of argument.
Uv makes for a sturdier structure and more resilient cuticle in any growth stage

P

PharmHand

Even Philips is recommending ir in their greenhouse SUPPLEMENTAL led panels. It’s being used in greenhouses worth 10mil plus, these guys aren’t gonna waste electricity when their profit margins are so very slim compared to canna- every dollar counts. There’s legit science behind it- it works

Homesteader

Homesteader

The commercial side is still a bit open. Many of the LEDs on the market cannot be used in commercial grows (depending). UL standard (I think) for commercial greenhouse is IP-66 but it is still being hatched out from what I hear and read.

They bought in bundle to save $$$ and get locked in when the tech changes quarterly. That is one of the downsides of being big.

Im trying to start my own small light business to save people from buying junk for six times its value like I did. Too much garbage is out there on the LED market.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom