I cracked open a jar today after 6 mos cure

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
The process of my long cure is based on keeping my stash controlled during cure at a Rh of 58 % and kept at temps of around 38 d F. The deterioration of thc to cbd is typically triggered by these factors, light, heat, air & time. Of these 4 factors I can control the heat air and temps, time not so much.

But even time I can slow it down to a point with using the vacuum sealing since with no fresh air to aid in the oxidation of the terpenes and thc. Sort of like freezing foods slows down the degradation of the item.

I have cured bud for up to 14 mos using the above method and I truly cannot discern any real changes in its smoke taste terps or stone. Colors do change a lot during this long a cure

My method, long dry time at 60% Rh typically 14 days with all sugar leaves left on until dry is complete. Final trim sugar leaves, use vacuum sealed mason jars, store at 38 d F , and don't open jars at all during the cure process. Be sure to use fresh clean jar seals when jarring no used seals.

The last part is crucial as every time you open or break the seal you are introducing fresh air to the mix which will lend to the further oxidization of the chemical compounds. Keep in mind you have to be certain that you have nailed it with the drying so you can be confident that no more additional burping is required.

The smoke after this is amazing. I will admit that I found the sweet spot to be between 6 mos and a year.

Wow, where did you go to college? I thought you were just a painting but apperently that’s just a side job.
Book worthy post here cactus, and I’m talking about how you laid the info out.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Wow, where did you go to college? I thought you were just a painting but apperently that’s just a side job.
Book worthy post here cactus, and I’m talking about how you laid the info out.
Wow thanks man. My college experience came from the streets, called school of hard knocks bro. Thanks for the props. Spread the love and pay it forward!!!!

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I've got some strawberry cough bits and pieces I put away about a year ago. They smoke so nice. Clean burn and crisp hit. Light flavors and aromas but still present. Each harvest I've been setting aside some choice buds for extended curing. Holidays are usually when I bust out the 6 month vintage.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
@jumpincactus been spitting out the wisdom on these threads. Always good to hear his words. Referencing facts and just plain good sense to help the growers along. Hard Knocks University alumni? Same here. What years? LMAO
:D:cool:

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
@jumpincactus been spitting out the wisdom on these threads. Always good to hear his words. Referencing facts and just plain good sense to help the growers along. Hard Knocks University alumni? Same here. What years? LMAO
If I didn’t know any better I would assume most of it was copy paste,:smoking:. But I know the cactus wouldn’t plagerize someone else’s wrk.

F

FutureGrower

If I didn’t know any better I would assume most of it was copy paste,:smoking:. But I know the cactus wouldn’t plagerize someone else’s wrk.

Man who cares I just am appreciative of the knowledge. If he did copy and paste then I'm grateful for that too, still taught me a lot :)

@jumpincactus keep it up brother i love the posts!

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Well all information we take from another source. But everything I shared was my own writing and thoughts.

When I do burglarize someone elses thoughts or ideas :DI do try to remember to give props and credit where it is due. Sort of like never using another breeders work as our own. And giving them a callout when using their genetics to make crosses and not claim as our own. :cool:

F

FutureGrower

Well all information we take from another source. But everything I shared was my own writing and thoughts.

When I do burglarize someone elses thoughts or ideas :DI do try to remember to give props and credit where it is due. Sort of like never using another breeders work as our own. And giving them a callout when using their genetics to make crosses and not claim as our own. :cool:

You write well brother, very easy to understand

SinCity

SinCity

All very well said....

None of this would have happened or will continue to happen without people like you willing to put our backs into researching and reviewing and writing at the highest standard. All hands on deck. And three cheers for integrity...

SinCity

SinCity

The process of my long cure is based on keeping my stash controlled during cure at a Rh of 58 % and kept at temps of around 38 d F. The deterioration of thc to cbd is typically triggered by these factors, light, heat, air & time. Of these 4 factors I can control the heat air and temps, time not so much.

But even time I can slow it down to a point with using the vacuum sealing since with no fresh air to aid in the oxidation of the terpenes and thc. Sort of like freezing foods slows down the degradation of the item.

I have cured bud for up to 14 mos using the above method and I truly cannot discern any real changes in its smoke taste terps or stone. Colors do change a lot during this long a cure

My method, long dry time at 60% Rh typically 14 days with all sugar leaves left on until dry is complete. Final trim sugar leaves, use vacuum sealed mason jars, store at 38 d F , and don't open jars at all during the cure process. Be sure to use fresh clean jar seals when jarring no used seals.

The last part is crucial as every time you open or break the seal you are introducing fresh air to the mix which will lend to the further oxidization of the chemical compounds. Keep in mind you have to be certain that you have nailed it with the drying so you can be confident that no more additional burping is required.

The smoke after this is amazing. I will admit that I found the sweet spot to be between 6 mos and a year.

ok, so you ONLY dry (albeit at dialed in Rh and temp)? then right into jars? no burping? i'm so impressed...

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
All very well said....

None of this would have happened or will continue to happen without people like you willing to put our backs into researching and reviewing and writing at the highest standard. All hands on deck. And three cheers for integrity...
Thank you Sin..............Unfortunately brother "integrity" is fast becoming a lost character trait. Just look at the WH in Wa DC. We are fast becoming a society of lies and deceit. We live in an alternate reality. Is it real or Memorex??????

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
ok, so you ONLY dry (albeit at dialed in Rh and temp)? then right into jars? no burping? i'm so impressed...
I use a humidistat in the jars after drying and burp a couple of days. Then once internal jar Rh is 58% I vacuum seal em and forget about it...…………..

SinCity

SinCity

Thank you Sin..............Unfortunately brother "integrity" is fast becoming a lost character trait. Just look at the WH in Wa DC. We are fast becoming a society of lies and deceit. We live in an alternate reality. Is it real or Memorex??????

Integrity is the rarest yet richest thing in the world...

SinCity

SinCity

I use a humidistat in the jars after drying and burp a couple of days. Then once internal jar Rh is 58% I vacuum seal em and forget about it...…………..

I think curing just got a lot less stressful...I'm super quantified at every other stage, and of course i keep a low RH and a mid-range temp in my dry rooms. But even a well-controlled room is much more variable than a jar! Now that i'm going back to my small-scale indoor roots, I won't have to contend with so much volume....

Can i push my luck and ask what size jars...? Is there a ratio of flower to empty glass i should keep in mind..?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
NICE! Now that's what I call dialed.
I super appreciate you sharing that....
you adopt this method and you will never look back. I know I didn't.

Goes to say why spend all that time on the front end of the grow with fine genetics and scrimp at the tail end where it matters most. :D

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I think curing just got a lot less stressful...I'm super quantified at every other stage, and of course i keep a low RH and a mid-range temp in my dry rooms. But even a well-controlled room is much more variable than a jar! Now that i'm going back to my small-scale indoor roots, I won't have to contend with so much volume....

Can i push my luck and ask what size jars...? Is there a ratio of flower to empty glass i should keep in mind..?
I use the big uns. But any size works depending on your stash size. Just remember not to pack them in too tight. Allow free movement of your buds . Foodsaver has an attachment you can buy that will vacuum seal either sized jar. I have both small mouthed and large mouthed. Works like a charm. :D

I also store them in a horizonal position. I don't like the way the weight of the bud column compacts itself by standing them upright. Make sense?

Last edited:
gwheels

gwheels

Thought I would post a few pics of some nugs that have been curing for a little over 6 mos.

They are from a strain called UltraSour by TH Seeds that were gifted to me last year.

UltraSour is supposed to be MK Ultra X East Coast Sour D.

I can remember the little tasters I tried some 6 mos ago before jarring. Let me tell ya the extended cure just brought out a smoothness and the sour D profiles enormously. Very tasty smoke indeed.

The nugs are dense and good sized overall. There was virtually no popcorn site. Branches were nice and thick.View attachment 423554 View attachment 423554 View attachment 423556

The potency level as compared to 2 week cured and the longer cure 6 mo time is difference between day and night. I was actual caught off guard by the ferocity of the way it came on. What a hell of a ride!!! Wish I had time to do longer cures but as you all know the show must go on :)
I find it funny that any would argue the cure does not make the flavor.
A good cure is what makes it taste so good and it smokes clean too.

I love Sour D. It is probably my favorite terpene taste next to whatever was in that malawi/panama because that shit tasted awesome.

I wish i could find a 6 month old jar....I have a mysterious 1 quart jar around someplace with a white rhino that grew well. OR do i

It is kind of nice producing my own. Now when i get high and hide my stash in a good place i can get it from the main stash until i uncover my genius hiding spot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom