I Gotta Have That Jazz My Man

• Thread starter ronvmpc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ronvmpc

ronvmpc

I've been pretty hesitant to make this thread but I got to know. Raised by a musician, all I listened to as a kid was jazz, latin jazz of all types and Funk. Even when I first heard rage against the machine, sound garden, nirvana, etc...(I grew up in the late nineties) I always went back to the old vinyl. And it wasn't constricted to jazz, but artist like New Birth, The Originals, The whatnauts, Malo, War, Roberta Flack, Cold Blood, Tower of Power, Chaka w/ Rufus, James Taylor, The Chi-Lites, MFSB, The Dramatics, Bill Withers ,The Whispers, Any thing motown (cause I love Jameson on bass) to name a few.

Here are some Jazz artists that i listened to on the reg:

Thelonious Monk, George Duke, Duke Ellington, Cal Tjader, Vince Guaraldi (his non-charlie brown stuff), Dave Brubrek, Stan Getz, Erroll Garner, Ron Carter, Brecker Bros., Miles Davis, Joey Defrancesco, Wes Montgomery, Pat metheney, Chet Baker, Charles Mingus, John Coltrane, Jimmy Smith, Herbie Hancock (made the ghostbuster theme song), Wynton Marsalis, Arturo Sandoval, Ornette Coleman, Lionel Hampton, Leroy Jenkins, Gato Barbieri, Bobby Hutcherson, Pancho Sanchez, Django Rheinhardt, Stanley Clark, Chic Corea, Freddie Hubbard, Billy Cobham, and my favorite bass player of all time, Jaco Pastrious. Not many people can pick the best musician to play an instrument but jaco was the best ever on bass.

There's so many more.

To all you real jazz cats, let's hear some feed back. Who do you like to listen to?

P.S. Tjader w/ Guaraldi. Damn good latin jazz for guys from the bay area.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Get down ron!

I dabble with a little jazz listening myself. I like Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespe, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Wynton Marsalis, and Chic Corea are familiar to me. I've seen Buddy Rich and Maynard Ferguson back in the day. Is Duke Ellington considered jazz? I like him for sure, Cab Calloway as well. I love their swingin style. I would much prefer to go to a lounge playing something like that, over any normal clubs. The Buena Vista Social Club is incredible as well.

The Roots are also some awesome musicians to see, even if they are not jazz.

-TF

ronvmpc

ronvmpc

Trich. If you've honestly seen buddy rich w/ ferguson I hope you know I honestly hate you. That man can play drums faster then most people, and that's with one hand. JEALOUS.

I've seen the Roots, and Roots co-mingled with erykah badu's band. Best show I've seen besides Stevie Wonder.

Wow Trich. I'm impressed. You've become my new favorite farmer.

G

gooey

Im down with Chic Corea, Charlie Parker, Coltrane, Mingus...gotta agree on the Buena Vista Social Club as being fucking awsome as well...good thread ron, thanks for sharing some more artists for me to check out..peace

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Buddy rich one performance. Maynard twice. My step dad's favorite. I used to play the trumpet myself for a while.

Used to see the Roots for Halloween at the House of Blues for a few years in a row. They are one of the only hip hop acts worth catching. Motherfuckin Quest Love!

-TF

ronvmpc

ronvmpc

Buddy rich one performance. Maynard twice. My step dad's favorite. I used to play the trumpet myself for a while.

Used to see the Roots for Halloween at the House of Blues for a few years in a row. They are one of the only hip hop acts worth catching. Motherfuckin Quest Love!

-TF

I saw the roots with Erykah badu in downtown sd a year back. Badu gets a little too confident with her singing sometimes but the roots where on fire, man. Modest musicians that know how to vibe of each other.

Guess jazz is becoming more of a lost art seeing how no one listens to it on a grow forum.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Art Blakey, Wayne Shorter, Cannonball Aderley, Milt Jackson, Ornette Coleman, Eric Dolphy, Max Roach, Thelonious Monk, Charles Mingus, Horace Silver, Sonny Rollins,
Miles Davis, Tony Williams, McCoy Tyner, Coltrane and many more!
Charlie Parker for sure, Charlie Christian too!

I love Jazz drums, nothing feels so free!

S

sokalkush

"Not many people can pick the best musician to play an instrument but jaco was the best ever on bass."

Never heard of Jaco b4 but thanks for the heads up! But as far as best musician to play an instrument?? How could you forget Art Tatum, the master pianist, an idol of Ray Charles. A wicked genius on the keys!

Best musician to play an instrument, is a very subjective phrase but to me Lester Young and Don Byas are the best on that tenor sax. Lotta other greats on the sax but those two men make me weep with their sounds lol..

How's about vocalists?!? loves me some Billie, Ella and Nina but best voice to me definitely has to be Aretha. Ohhh wheee that voice can make a grown man cry. Love, love, love the queen of soul!

Great taste in music Ron! Let's keep this thread poppin n keep the spirit of jazz and improvisation alive..

S

sfzoo

was turned on to jazz in college, mostly coltrane and davis. matter of fact, it was their collab album that really got me into it.
Since, i've been listening to Charlie Parker, the Mingus, Thelonious Monk...the big names mainly as my jazz ear isn't too sophisticated.

thanks for the list of artists!! checkin em out now!

E

E.T.

What about Roland kirk...? Gotta be one of my favs. Nice thread Ron!

waayne

waayne

Yeah I agree E.T. this is a cool thread
Grant Green and Kenny Burrell are a couple of my faves.

ronvmpc

ronvmpc

There we go. Some of the good ol' boys.

North. There's nothing like some Ella. A lot of Aretha's unknown stuff is unforgettable as well

Cannonball is amazing. I've just recently ventured into his vinyl. Art blakely drum solo's are poetic almost.

I try to hit the record shop once a week. What I found when searching through heaps of vinyl is when you find a dude high as fuck smoking a splif on his album cover, buy that shit. Erroll Garner's Gems. Amazing jazz album for you piano enthusiast.

SAM 0596

Where's all you latin jazz guys at?

E

E.T.

Check out mongo santamaria for some nice afrocuban. Really dig old school dizzy for some latin...

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Something Ive been listening to alot is the Original New Orleans Jazz band and Kenny Ball. I really dig the early stuff. Just tune Pandora or Grooveshark to the early jazz and get lost for hours. Kind of new to it but eating it up.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Used to go see Count Basie, back in the day, Etta James, shes more blues thoough

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Preservation hall Jazz band, wonder if their still around, Jazz Crusaders one of the best..

Hey Ronvmpc Love that vinyl. As you know can spend hours shopping for, and its a real deal...

G

gooey

word on the vinyl...love the sound vs digital...im trying to get more into collecting records...wish more artists put out vinyl with digital these days, lost art form, o well...peace

Top Bottom