i have a flowering time question.....

• Thread starter shitwinds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
shitwinds

shitwinds

i am curious about flowering times as quoted by seed companies.......

is it quoted from germination, or does the clock start ticking when pistles start showing?

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
just wondering, auto or photo? id say you would get a better estimate from grower videos online. or google diaries/journals of the type youre interested in.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Not sure about other places, but in the USA, indoor growers start counting when you flip to 12-12. Been that way for at least 45 years.

I'd also question the number of days many of the seed packs state it takes from 12/12 to harvest. It's almost always longer ... at least for me.

Madmax

Madmax

Not sure about other places, but in the USA, indoor growers start counting when you flip to 12-12. Been that way for at least 45 years.
I know that yous use it that way.and ive only had 2 grows under my belt but they have been waay out bro.
Just say for eg purple punch takes 7-8 weeks from flip my trics were all clear at that stage as they took 14 days to start flowering.so if i took those days off ..that means the plant takes 5-6 weeks and its ready.theres not many plant i know of that can b ready in 5-6 weeks from bud onset..right now im on day 75 with cloudy trics with a few amber..from bud onset it has been 8 weeks 5 days so pretty close .when you go by bud onset..same when ive grown outside as thats what you go by and they are pretty close..just my 2c lol..thats just how im seeing it..

growsince79

growsince79

I'd also question the number of days many of the seed packs state it takes from 12/12 to harvest. It's almost always longer ... at least for me.
If you flip a plant when its 2 weeks old, it takes way longer to start flowering than if it were 6 months - 5 years old. It might be 3 weeks before you see anythling. But the mature clone might start flowering the next day. I think the good seed companies base time on mature plants. The rest just lie, because who is gonna buy seeds that say 85-90 days.
So basicly, the recommended time is meaningless no matter when you start counting. Do you cut down your tomatos because the tag said 90 days? Harvest when its ripe.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

If you flip a plant when its 2 weeks old, it takes way longer to start flowering than if it were 6 months - 5 years old. It might be 3 weeks before you see anythling. But the mature clone might start flowering the next day. I think the good seed companies base time on mature plants. The rest just lie, because who is gonna buy seeds that say 85-90 days.
So basicly, the recommended time is meaningless no matter when you start counting. Do you cut down your tomatos because the tag said 90 days? Harvest when its ripe.
Never ... unless you're after green tomatoes.

I was pointing out that you really should go by what your eyes are telling you ... not what the numbers on the pack say.

shitwinds

shitwinds

i was asking about autos, but curious in general.......just wanted a ballpark for flushing, didnt want to start too early......i like more amber trichs, so i figured it would be longer than stated

thnx for the replies...

growsince79

growsince79

No i use it as a guide only
I use it to compare plants to each other. If I plant 2 seeds, grow 6 weeks, and flip at the same time, 1 might be ripe in 60 days from flip and the 2nd takes 73 days.

The first plant started flowering at 4 days, flowered another 56 days, and finished on day 60. The 2nd plant didn't start flowering until day 21, flowered another 52 days, and finished in 73. Whick plant is faster? If i counted from onset #2 is faster.

For me, the only counting that makes sense is from to flip.

growsince79

growsince79

Ill just keep going by onset mate ...all good 👍
I have a Colombian that was 66 days in the flower room before it got her first pistil. If its done after 8 more weeks, its not an eight week strain. To call it that would be bullshit, and I don't think most breeders would.

Top Bottom