I Have An Inverter Minisplit....keeps Freezing Up In Cold Temps.

• Thread starter fadetoblack1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

fadetoblack1

I have a 24,000 btu air con inverter minisplit.

When it is under 15 degrees outside I have trouble keeping my grow room under 85 degrees.

I understand there are "low ambient kits" you can buy that solve this problem. The problem is i keep seeing that inverter style minisplits will not work with low ambient kits?

any info/help would be greatly appreciated.

blazer

blazer

Low charge can cause freezing up for sure definitely something that would prob have to get looked at check your air filter also make sure you let it defrost completely before your A/C guy goes buy will save time

F

fadetoblack1

Low charge can cause freezing up for sure definitely something that would prob have to get looked at check your air filter also make sure you let it defrost completely before your A/C guy goes buy will save time

Just checked my manual. I guess my minisplit is not an inverter. Says it will give you problems under 19 degrees outside temp.

blazer

blazer

Yeah will need a low ambient kit for sure then rough on the compressors at low temps with out low ambient kits

F

fadetoblack1

Yeah will need a low ambient kit for sure then rough on the compressors at low temps with out low ambient kits

Are all low ambient kits equal? I typed my model into google and can not find any low ambient kits out there for it. Are they universal?

F

fadetoblack1

Can't seem to find any low ambient kits that are compatible with inverter minisplits. I have an aircon inverter.

I tried installing a low ambient kit and it almost burned up the motor.

Just trying to do anything I can to get this minisplit to cool properly in cold weather.

Thoughts ?

dieseldawg2480

dieseldawg2480

How old is the unit? Is the filter on the inside blower clean? How about the inside coil is that dirty or have any debre (dust, hair etc.) blocking the coil can u see the coil does it look blocked with any thing?

Now the outside condenser is their ( cotton wood, leafs,snow) or anything blocking that coil? When the unit is running is the inside blower blowing?
How about the outside condenser fan is that running?
If the coil is a block of ice u will have to wait unt that completely unthaws. U can take a blow dryer or heat gun to speed up the process, Ive even taken a hose and water to speed up the process. your going to have to wait until it completely thaws or its just goingto keep freezing that coil has to be able to be blow the air threw it to work.
has any of the line sets (copper lines to the inside and outside condenser been kinked or bent? at the connections joints near the outside condenser have any oil residue how about the inside unit? if the there is a leak it will have some kind of oil that's in the Freon showing a oil residue. check all that first

F

fadetoblack1

How old is the unit? Is the filter on the inside blower clean? How about the inside coil is that dirty or have any debre (dust, hair etc.) blocking the coil can u see the coil does it look blocked with any thing?

Now the outside condenser is their ( cotton wood, leafs,snow) or anything blocking that coil? When the unit is running is the inside blower blowing?
How about the outside condenser fan is that running?
If the coil is a block of ice u will have to wait unt that completely unthaws. U can take a blow dryer or heat gun to speed up the process, Ive even taken a hose and water to speed up the process. your going to have to wait until it completely thaws or its just goingto keep freezing that coil has to be able to be blow the air threw it to work.
has any of the line sets (copper lines to the inside and outside condenser been kinked or bent? at the connections joints near the outside condenser have any oil residue how about the inside unit? if the there is a leak it will have some kind of oil that's in the Freon showing a oil residue. check all that first

yes all of that is fine. It was 30 degrees here today and it ran great.

but once it drops below 10 it will start freezing up again...

looking for a compatible low ambient kit for this model.

blazer

blazer

Well again if it is a inverter which you need to find out for sure it would have low ambient kit in it already!
Doesn't sound like it is if it's freezing up Though!
What did you install? How did it almost burn up?
Did the motor smoke?
What parts you got that your trying to install, pics if possible!

F

fadetoblack1

Well again if it is a inverter which you need to find out for sure it would have low ambient kit in it already!
Doesn't sound like it is if it's freezing up Though!
What did you install? How did it almost burn up?
Did the motor smoke?
What parts you got that your trying to install, pics if possible!

the outside unit does not have a control board.

i tried to install this. http://www.megagrowers.com/low-ambi...IxY7pwjGm8JwDLEAJ_9jiLZUyByPJysAAgaAm8l8P8HAQ

the amps were not the same and it was messing with the fan. According to my AC guy.

miko

miko

Run cold air from outside instead. I am in a very cold place and my ac hasn't run in months and my rooms stays about 73-77 degrees.
I use a hurricane fan on a temp switch so it only runs when the room gets over 75....
Free cooling.

blazer

blazer

Your A/C guy should be able to get the proper fan cycler most likely a pressure switch to cut in and out your outdoor fan also a crankcase heater!
The Fan cycler will need to be specific on what your refrigerant type is and what pressure ranges they need to range in really recommend having a qualified person look at and install those parts

DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez

We're having the same problems. Our cool only machine can't operate under 33 and we have to watch it because it acts up even with the cold weather kit. The heat/cool units are freezing up on the inside units and have trouble when it gets below 5 degrees. We have several in line and just turn them inline to blow into each other when it's too cold. It sounds crazy but it works. Like someone else mentioned.. If your outside coils are freezing up ur pretty much out of gas. Gotta get the CORRECT low ambient kit. They don't make them for our heat/cool units unfortunately.

Top Bottom