I keep getting tastelss, odorless buds!

• Thread starter greenops
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

greenops

Hello fellow farmers,

I’m getting desperate. I had 2 indoor runs and one outdoor grow so far and I keep ending up with tasteless buds! I’ve been getting decent yields, the buds do look dank and the effects are there as well, but the buds just aren’t enjoyable to smoke.

I check the trichs to make sure they’re mature, I flush for 10 days and I cure for months. It’s not a case of having bad luck by growing a low odor pheno, as I’ve grown 5 x AK48s, 1 x Skunk#1 and 2 x Amnesia Lemons.

After ending up with tasteless buds for the first time I concluded that the mistake was that I’ve waited till branches started to snap (6 days) before putting them in jars.

I had two more AK48 plants on my balcony. When I harvested them I made sure that I jar the buds before the stems start to snap. I followed a drying/curing tutorial on the net which involves a hygrometer to determine the curing zone. This batch smells a bit nicer but nowhere near how buds are supposed to smell. I think that time the mistake was that the buds dried too fast (due to high temps).

After the outdoor grow I started another indoor run with hopes that new genetics would bring me dank buds. Everything went well, less stress, less newbie mistakes, cooler temps due to winter time. When I harvested I cut the plants at the base, to slow down drying. It’s been curing for a week now but I’m already sure that it will end up the same as the previous harvests.

One thing I’ve noticed is that in both indoor runs, the buds did smell dank up to week 6 - 7 of flowering then the buds lost their stickiness and smell, and started to feel dry to the touch. That didn’t happen in my outdoor grow, as they stayed sticky and had a dank aroma up to harvest day. At the time I thought that it was normal and the cure would bring the smell back.

Although the final product of the outdoor isn’t dank either, I think that if I had been able to let it mature (chopped early due to mold) and dry properly, I would have retained the smell. However the indoor runs lost their smell already during flowering… I can’t figure out why I hope somebody here can help me out.

Some info on my grow:
Medium: Pre ferted soil, Plagron (a recommended brand here in Switzerland)
Pots: 3 Gallons
Nutrients: Plagron Bloom, Plagron Green Sensation, Molasses
Cabinet size: 6ft x 3ft x 2ft
Light: 250w HPS in Aircooled Hood
Temperature: 79F – 82F
Ventilation: 130 cfm exhaust, passive intake, pc fan for circulation

I keep getting tastelss odorless buds
I keep getting tastelss odorless buds 2
I keep getting tastelss odorless buds 3
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I had a strain that didn't smell at all last year. It looked like fire, and was pretty good.. but no smell.

It could also be just timing. PLants do have a peak ripeness time when they smell best.

F

farmseeker

I had the same problem and read all the guides. I thought it was the strain, the humidity.. too dry, not dry enough.. Bought hygrometers.. You name it.. My problem... I was not letting them finish... now they go a coupe weeks longer than the first few times and they smell dank as hell!

G

greenops

For how long did u let them go? I chopped my first indoor run at 72 days. Some buds were 80% amber.

Nope, i dont think timing is the problem. It was a low odor grow during the early stages of flowering... but then they started losing that smell and the buds got drier.

G

greenops

Good point Fat Marty! Yea my outdoor vegged much longer. Honestly I didnt think about veg time being a factor when it comes to the quality. I vegged my first one for 35 days and the 2nd indoor 38 days. But its worth a shot to let em veg even longer

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
pm me for some free divine genetics seeds....they will be sure to blow your mind :harvest:

damnnnnn....

logic, you are too kind. I just got lucky enough to pay for some... LOL. Those fuckers were gone practiclaly before they hit the bay.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Good point Fat Marty! Yea my outdoor vegged much longer. Honestly I didnt think about veg time being a factor when it comes to the quality. I vegged my first one for 35 days and the 2nd indoor 38 days. But its worth a shot to let em veg even longer

I am pretty sure veg time has nothing to do with finish time.

FOr example: sea of green vs. tree grow. Same plant, different veg times. Same final product.

putembk

putembk

Don't think veg time has anything to do with your problem. I'm a little medicated right now so I might have missed this but you haven't mentioned the dry/cure process.
Most of my grows loose their sticky, dank smell later in flower but it should come back with a proper cure. If this is done wrong you can really effect the final product. I think you said you went to jars in about a week, again medicated, if that is the case you probably put wet pot in a jar. I try to time it so I don't go to jars for as close to three weeks as possible at 50% rh. The buds feel dry and have (most) very little smell or taste at this time. The jars will fix that. If your buds don't rehydrate try taping a wet q tip to the top of the lid and in a couple of days they will start to show signs of moisture. In a few days your buds will taste and smell dank. imo

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
Logic is right, the problem is your genetics. What you are used to smoking is mostly from clones that are from 1 in a million plants. Most plants from most seeds are not going to have the super dank smell you are used to. Try logics kind offer and see how those go. I was in same boat as you and wasn't till I popped my first ograskal beans a while back that I understood, it's the genetics! Ak 48 or whatever is not gonna cut it. Try a clone from an elite cutting or some super elite seeds and then get back to us!

Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for

JB

squiggly

squiggly

I want to pm logic for the smellies toooo!

In my world if it don't stank, it ain't dank. I know that's not always the case--but I definitely don't care for it if it wouldn't have pissed off my mom in high school. Haven't grown yet, but I'd hate to do so without a stinky reward.

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

pm me for some free divine genetics seeds....they will be sure to blow your mind :harvest:
Thats wsup. Logics on that pimp status.:pimp:
Very cool to see the generocity. :bow RESPECT+

putembk

putembk

Logic is right, the problem is your genetics. What you are used to smoking is mostly from clones that are from 1 in a million plants. Most plants from most seeds are not going to have the super dank smell you are used to. Try logics kind offer and see how those go. I was in same boat as you and wasn't till I popped my first ograskal beans a while back that I understood, it's the genetics! Ak 48 or whatever is not gonna cut it. Try a clone from an elite cutting or some super elite seeds and then get back to us!

JB

JB, I know you are right about the genetics but I think a couple of things were done wrong that could effect the final outcome. First, greenops mentioned high temps caused the buds to dry to fast? I have seen a harvest rushed by using a oven or microwave and the dank is destroyed. Next, going into jars in a week? I go to sacks and turkey bags at this point.
I would have hung them for a week at 50% rh in a cool dark space with a slight bit of air circulating on them. Then into sacks/turkey bags until they stayed crispy then to jars. If I went to in just a week I would have a hard time getting them to dry properly. Just a thought, If I'm all wet, let me know so I can learn as well.

Illmind

Illmind

i usually dry for 8-10 days depending on hybrid. bro i'd take the logic challenge!! i been trying to get me sum hells angels og x bubba but they sell out too quik.. good luk and pop better beans next time.

A

AzGrOw-N-sMoKe

If by the last few weeks your buds are oderlss an "dry" while still on plant your rh is too low, do you have a fan blowing the plants too cause with low rh it'll make it 2x worse.... also if you have air hitting them too much during the drying stage you can also dry too fast an cause the oderless effect.... ak47 is dankness an has plenty of the funk.... Az

G

greenops

Wow, that's an offer I won't refuse. Thanks a million logic really appreciate it! I'll shoot u a pm..

G

greenops

JB

Thanks for your input JB I'll give Divine Genetics a shot for sure. But honestly I'm still not convinced that I simply had bad luck with genetics... I mean I've grown out 8 feminized plants so far, from 3 different Breeder (Nirvana, Royal Queens Seeds, Barney's). I don't believe that the chances are that slim to find a keeper. Tho I still hope Divine Genetics will prove me wrong.

JB, I know you are right about the genetics but I think a couple of things were done wrong that could effect the final outcome. First, greenops mentioned high temps caused the buds to dry to fast? I have seen a harvest rushed by using a oven or microwave and the dank is destroyed. Next, going into jars in a week? I go to sacks and turkey bags at this point.
I would have hung them for a week at 50% rh in a cool dark space with a slight bit of air circulating on them. Then into sacks/turkey bags until they stayed crispy then to jars. If I went to in just a week I would have a hard time getting them to dry properly. Just a thought, If I'm all wet, let me know so I can learn as well.

I had high temps (75-77F) during drying on my first indoor and then the outdoor grow. My last grow I chopped last week, I hung the whole plants to slow down drying and temps are down to 70F. RH is 35%-55%. However, the plants felt dry outside after 3 days, i still let them hang for 4 to 5 days total. Trust me they felt dry. Maybe thats because my buds arent that big and dense cuz I only have 250w hps.

If by the last few weeks your buds are oderlss an "dry" while still on plant your rh is too low, do you have a fan blowing the plants too cause with low rh it'll make it 2x worse.... also if you have air hitting them too much during the drying stage you can also dry too fast an cause the oderless effect.... ak47 is dankness an has plenty of the funk.... Az

Good point AZ. The rh was 30-40% during flowering. Do u think it should be higher? I have a PC fan blowing under the light just above the canopy. I was also thinking about the fan, so I had the fan turned off more than usual after the buds got dry. But I guess once dry its done. And nope, I didnt have a fan for circulation during the drying stage, only an exhaust fan. And yea AK47 is hella dank, but I grew Nirvana's AK48.

Edit: Nope, rh is not the problem I just remembered my first indoor run the rH peaked at 70%, i was scared i'd get mold.

A

AzGrOw-N-sMoKe

Peaking an staying consistant are very different, somewhere between 50-60% rh is best from my experience.... Az

putembk

putembk

Good info. Some of my strains do loose some of the sticky feel, and dank smell but some don't. It always comes back after it has been dried/cured for 20 to 30 days. I do have a fan gently blowing at the bottom and top of the plants however. Is that to much circulation?

Latest posts

Top Bottom