I know free range is more humane, but... maybe next year

• Thread starter patiofarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
patiofarmer

patiofarmer

Hello all, new to the forum. Quick history. Back in the day i grew for 10 years under 2 1000hps lamps with my trusty 4 ft 16 bulb badboy t5 for veg. (it still works but my brother snagged it during my break).
Just started my 1st grow in 9 years about 6 weeks ago. This is my 1st experience with auto flowers and LED's because both have come so far during my almost decade absence from the scene and I want to screw up a couple grows so I can learn, hahaha. I started 9 auto flower seeds (2 green crack, 2 grapefruit, 1 tangie, 1 jack herer from fast buds, and 2 lost elephant and 1 orange bubblegum from twisted trees autoflowers) and a couple of couch photoperiod mysteries. A couple of them got literally cooked during germination when I set the paper plate with the paper towel down on the stove top when I was blazed and using the oven. Chalk it up to stoner mistakes. They mutated like crazy but I kept them around just to practice low stress training as most of my experience was topping with quick finishing strains for production. I moved the photos and the tangie and 2 green cracks to my patio 4 weeks ago, full sun from 11 to 7. They've had some crazy swings in temp/humidity since then. 1 green crack responded by flowering 2.weeks later, the other 2 have delayed and are just starting in the last few days. I will add pictures of everything tomorrow once the sun comes up because everything on my phone was too high res to upload.
The other 6 in the tent are all in week two of flower.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

That's quite the multi-cultural gang you got going there.
Do you have a 50 x 50 tent?

patiofarmer

patiofarmer

Should make sense a little more sense tomorrow with the pictures. As will the name of my post because my fun little experiment this summer is going to be using my dog's crate as a light deprivation greenhouse/trellis for a couple photos.

patiofarmer

patiofarmer

I've got another round of autos ready to start in the tent in about 3 weeks and I'll have some photos after that. Gotta finish everything by mid October for a move.

patiofarmer

patiofarmer

Anything overcrowded gets kicked outside. The other plants I neglected to mention out there are the unsung heroes of my garden. I have 2 cherry tomato plants and a jalapeno plant out there since a couple weeks before the real garden started. They are the scouts/cannon fodder. A trick I learned from an old hippie who only grew outside. Every year he put out a few decoys to find out which bugs were cranking that year.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Do you have an extra carbon filter and some sheet plastic? A temp tent somewhere out of the way.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Anything overcrowded gets kicked outside. The other plants I neglected to mention out there are the unsung heroes of my garden. I have 2 cherry tomato plants and a jalapeno plant out there since a couple weeks before the real garden started. They are the scouts/cannon fodder. A trick I learned from an old hippie who only grew outside. Every year he put out a few decoys to find out which bugs were cranking that year.
We grow cherry tomato's because I love them. But this year the birds are stealing them all from me.

patiofarmer

patiofarmer

That's my thinking on the bathroom most smells when I'm cooking or smoking unfortunately get upstairs. the bathroom is all tile with one small window. If I plastic wrap the walls and put a good fan in the window I might not even need an extra carbon filter. the whole thing is she can't know I'm growing indoors it was hard enough to get her to not complain about outside. She's an attorney even though it's legal now she's not gonna be comfortable with it and like I said she can't stand the smell. I will be moving mid October to my own place but she cut my rent in half for the last year I was unemployed so I'm not looking to piss her off.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

That's my thinking on the bathroom most smells when I'm cooking or smoking unfortunately get upstairs. the bathroom is all tile with one small window. If I plastic wrap the walls and put a good fan in the window I might not even need an extra carbon filter. the whole thing is she can't know I'm growing indoors it was hard enough to get her to not complain about outside. She's an attorney even though it's legal now she's not gonna be comfortable with it and like I said she can't stand the smell. I will be moving mid October to my own place but she cut my rent in half for the last year I was unemployed so I'm not looking to piss her off.
I hear you man. Never bite the hand that feeds.

patiofarmer

patiofarmer

Here is my plant training cage! The 1st plant picture is a green crack that was struggling indoors, and perked up immediately on the porch, its way ahead of the other green crack (last picture) the photo is tied down hopefully starting light dep in 2-3 weeks. All the others are the tangie.

20210617 165440
20210618 143048
20210615 151521
20210618 143120
20210618 143239
20210618 143243
20210616 185637
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Looks good! I would defoliate a bit on the bottom half of the plant. You need better air flow thru there.
I see one leaf in the last pic that looks like a bad case of heat stress, but without a closeup, its hard to tell.

patiofarmer

patiofarmer

Yeah instead of taking new pictures I just went through and downsized some I already had the heat stress pics are from the 1st couple days in the sun, waited for a little taco-ing before shade. as far as stress, it would be hard to nail it down to which type, haha. My local shops have had very sporadic supply of soil so I'm growing in a mix of 3 different kinds I've never used before, so ive had fungus gnats, super high and low soil ph out of the bag (found out 3 weeks in, haha) not knowing when to start feeding cuz idk the soil, etc. along with a hefty helping of grower error. If you learn from your mistakes I'm sending myself through a crash course. I'm experiencing auto flowers for the 1st time as well I know lots of people complain about them being sensitive and bitchy, but im finding them to be resilient. They are going to make me a better grower for sure because I don't have the crutch of deciding when they are healthy enough to start flowering and taking an extra week to fix something I did wrong.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Yeah instead of taking new pictures I just went through and downsized some I already had the heat stress pics are from the 1st couple days in the sun, waited for a little taco-ing before shade. as far as stress, it would be hard to nail it down to which type, haha. My local shops have had very sporadic supply of soil so I'm growing in a mix of 3 different kinds I've never used before, so ive had fungus gnats, super high and low soil ph out of the bag (found out 3 weeks in, haha) not knowing when to start feeding cuz idk the soil, etc. along with a hefty helping of grower error. If you learn from your mistakes I'm sending myself through a crash course. I'm experiencing auto flowers for the 1st time as well I know lots of people complain about them being sensitive and bitchy, but im finding them to be resilient. They are going to make me a better grower for sure because I don't have the crutch of deciding when they are healthy enough to start flowering and taking an extra week to fix something I did wrong.
That's how we learn. đź‘Ť

patiofarmer

patiofarmer

I'll send some current pictures of the tent when the light comes on in a few hours it's running 19/5 and shuts off for the hottest part of the day The autos loved the 20 hour light cycle right up until they hit flowering but they started looking a little tired at the end of every day so I gave them an extra hour of rest. Also makes it a little easier to folier feed and IPM cause they have an extra hour to dry off.

patiofarmer

patiofarmer

On the defoliating I am back in 4th because I'm only going off of external knowledge about autos. So many people say not to top them or defoliate much until week to a flower. Because it's an experiment I did top my one indica auto the Orange bubble gum I Orange bubble gum I'm pleased with how the shape came out I got 8 tops 6 good ones from just 1 topping and LST. The 2 original fan leaves stayed right in the middle like solar panels. The tent girls are defoliated more because they're farther along. If the one tangie and green crack outside are just putting out pistols now within the last week so I am getting ready to start yanking leaves on them but also I was thinking to maybe leave a few more on the outside girls because there's no space issue they can have sun hit every part of the plant. Another experiment to compare to the indoor girls. I have actually never grown outside because all my growing was in an illegal state before now.

Top Bottom