I may have overdosed a foliar salicylic acid application

• Thread starter phenotyper
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
phenotyper

phenotyper

So, I have a green crack teen that has been doing poorly because my veg area is full and I don't have room to up pot her just yet. Additionally, she seems to be the only one with a fungus gnat problem. So, after treating the soil, laying out some gnat strips and moving on with my life, I decided to run an experiment.

I wanted to see what the effect of 325mg of aspirin/liter of water would be on my already suffering plant, and her sister which is a much healthier plant. salicylic acid is supposed to cause a response in the plant and cause its immune system to bolster itself and end up with a phantom attack that results in a healthier plant --- or so that is the theory. I mix up some dr bronner's, floralicious plus, and 325mg uncoated aspirin (crushed and dissolved) and hosed those babies down.

Cue today, which was scheduled to be rotation day where my perpetual grow gets pushed a step down the pipeline. Well, I see the foliar bottle from yesterday sitting out and I'm like, "hey let's foliar everything about to go into flower". Yes, I completely forgot I added the aspirin.

In a little bit of a panic, I mixed up the above ingredients sans the aspirin and resprayed everything down the best I could.

My main concern is that I have heard that SA in high doses can cause male flowers. The LAST thing I would want to do is put a stressed plant into flower with raging hormones, but then again, this could have been harmless.

Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks for stopping by.

phenotyper

phenotyper

Since no one replied, I decided to chance it with my Chernobyl mom and put her into flower. I usually apply Bushmaster, but I will hold off for at least a week in order to see how things pan out. I'll report back either way.

U

Udyana Peace

phenotyper

If you're wanting to to apply salicylic acid per se you might want to consider a different source than aspirin tablets.

Aloe vera extract (aka juice or gel) contains high levels of SA at a very affordable price. On the West Coast the retail food store, Trader Joes, carries 1 gallon jugs of aloe vera juice for $7.00

For a foliar application you can safely go with 1/4 cup (2 oz.) to 1 gallon of water. Double that for hydrating your soil.

I use aloe vera gel squeezed from a aloe vera leaf as a rooting gel. I add some humic and fulvic acid, powdered organic seaweed extract and a couple of drops of liquid silica (potassium silicate) like Dyna-Grow Pro-TeKt.

Works every time.

HTH

UP

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I use aspirin, but I use 1 tablet (325mg) per two gallons of water, not per liter.

Have the plants done anything weird since you sprayed them?

phenotyper

phenotyper

UP, thanks for the advice! I will check out the gallon of aloe vera, sounds economical and better than dissolving tablet.

Seamaiden, no actually they are looking pretty decent. I just put a Chernobyl into flower two days ago who had been heavily coated. I'll be sure to update if anything funky happens.

K

Kobe24

this product works wonders....Asprin and water are not enough...you need some sort of wetting agent as well....Vacinate uses mollasses and something else along with the Salicylic Acid

phenotyper

phenotyper

I'll take a look at that Kobe, thanks!

I've been using Dr Broner's Mint Soap as my wetting gent at about 10 drops per liter. It seems to be accepted that mint keeps away insects, so I thought this would be a nice additional to my foliar.

Latest posts

Top Bottom