I Met Reeferman On Friday.

• Thread starter nurlord
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
nurlord

nurlord

Yo,

I met Reef for the first time yesterday at the Treating Yourself Expo. Very cool guy to talk to.

I figured some of you might be interested in some brief notes on the goings on.

- He’s been very busy which is mostly keeping him offline lately but he’s not ignoring anyone. He told me what’s been taking up his time but I’d rather not print that here.

- His plant food line is ready to launch. I actually bought a bottle before the Expo and so far have used it for one application.

-His latest release of seeds (Big Bertha, Happy Hindu etc) is now available if you’re looking ye shall find. It looks like for the most part prices have come down a little too.

- I had told him that I was already flowering some Harmony and he reaffirmed with me that he truly believes that Harmony is the best plant he’s ever bred. I’ve been smoking Reefs product since like 2002 or so, so when he says something like that I listen. The true genetics for Harmony are an Og Kush x Santa Marta (LP?) x Thai. He pointed out that the Harmony is not like Love Potion at all so don’t be scared off by the Santa Marta if you’re thinking the strains are going to be similar.

- For those looking to buy the Ultra Early Love strain he advised it’s meant to be grown outdoors not indoors. The finishing time is 6-7 weeks.

- As I believe he’s already mentioned here, he’s retooling his approach to feminized seeds. He has over 100,000 S1’s seeds that he’s not releasing because when the S1’s were made and tested they lacked vigour. He’s now decided to do femmed F1’s where he instead reverses one of the P1 parents and uses that pollen like he would male pollen in his F1 plants. He’s found that fems made this way plants keep their vigour. He believes that S1’s probably work best for polyhybrids as when you make an S1 out of inbred lines you tend to get a plant with lower vigour. His new fems are on course to be released this fall but as always keep your fingers crossed. Anything can happen.

- Quality control is of huge importance for Reef and Co and he wants to make sure his reputation in the regards is AAA.

- Hoa Bac (aka Sliver Flower aka Vietnamese Mindfuck) is in his opinion the best landrace he’s ever worked with (again a bold statement for a man with his catalogue of landraces). He believes that someone must be cultivating it because there are no hermies at all. He finds it hard to believe that a landrace can be growing in that part of the world and have a hermie free population. Not much veg time is needed. I think they can be flowered at about 8 inches and finish in about 12 weeks with a very psychoactive buzz.

- He told me a funny story on the Hoa Bac. A friend of his gave him a bag of the seeds and said “These are as good as anything you’re smoking now and as good as your strains.” Reef of course found that tough to believe. Reef’s buddy wanted to Reef to try a top notch Viet strain as the dude didn’t think the world was getting the best stuff from out of Vietnam. Anyway the dude keeps bugging Reef month after month asking “have you grown them yet? Have you grown them yet?” Finally Reef decided to grown out a few as he didn’t want to hurt his buddy’s feelings. Turns out the guy was right and the beans are very, very good.

- I told Reef that I really thought he was the best breeder ever. As an example I told him about how Cherry Haze, which tends to fly under the radar, was the so good and that I had friends who preferred it to Rez’s Sour D and many other flagship strains. Reef agreed that it was a very under appreciated strain and that he should do more to market it. I forgot to ask him if the true lineage was Cherry BombxPurple Haze or Cherry Bomb x Super Silver Haze. I remember it being originally listed as containing PH but I could be wrong. Everything I’ve seen recently says it’s CBxSSH

- Apple Pie fems!!!!!

- The way Reef describes the smell of Happy Hindu nearly made me hug him. I mean it sounds very, very exotic with a thick smoke that smells of incense and strong hash. I think I may have sprung half a chub imagining the smoking of that strain.

- He also told me a funny story about how they trained 15 plants to fill an entire grow room. The cops busted in thinking they had found the mother load but with only 15 plants filling an entire room there was nothing but a slap on the wrists waiting for the grower!

- I don't think I should have told him how bad a fucked up the Bodhi Saatva grow. I was like "Mine went real long and kept on growing" he said "They take 13 weeks", I said "Mine took like 113 days and they could have went longer" he said, "yeah people tend to grow those in Texas" I thought"I think I'll change the subject now"

We talked for what felt like an hour he told me a bunch of good stuff that I probably left out. One thing I will say is I hope at some point all that right wing stuff that pops up once in awhile can be put to bed. I didn’t get anything like that from Reef. I just saw a guy who likes his fellow human beings and really takes pride in his work. Everyone who approached him was treated with great respect. Hearing him talk about India was more than enough to make you understand that these guy has a real understanding of the world and that we’re all a part of the big picture.

- Peace

nur.

B

Bacchus

Good to hear that he is doing well. I have always enjoyed his work and re-work. I hope he continues on bringing new strains to the market for all to enjoy.

S

smellyballz

nice update! good lookin out nurlord

i cant wat to try those cherry haze!:)

S

SSHZ

IMO I'd wait for some grow reports before I bought anything of his....... I'm not saying they won't be great- just his recent 2-year track record is terrible. I'm guessing he's branching out from the seed game because he continues to have seed production issues.

B

brookky

Does anybody know if the new seeds are going to be avaible to the US?

Dr.stickerdick

Dr.stickerdick

I for one am not the least bit worried to get new offerings. Grow and behold. Peace

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

did you see him in the reeferman costume? i met him on the saturday :) really nice guy.

i didn't ask him a tonne of questions, but i'm trading in my 105 day apple pie for a 9 week cherry haze. i think he's reworked it, and it's supposed to yield fat colas and high like a haze. that happy hindu sounds awesome!

he mentioned that seedsman is his only official seed distributor. he has more stylish seed packs now too.

he told me that love potion nutes are made with salts from the dead sea (as opposed to china) and is what he's used for all of his growing - and his cup winners. a simple one part that's half the price of gh floranova (which i bought recently). he also doesn't believe in supplements.

he had posters showing massive greenhouses from which he selects promising cultivars. it can only do good things for his seeds!

nurlord

nurlord

did you see him in the reeferman costume? i met him on the saturday :) really nice guy.

i didn't ask him a tonne of questions, but i'm trading in my 105 day apple pie for a 9 week cherry haze. i think he's reworked it, and it's supposed to yield fat colas and high like a haze. that happy hindu sounds awesome!

he mentioned that seedsman is his only official seed distributor. he has more stylish seed packs now too.

he told me that love potion nutes are made with salts from the dead sea (as opposed to china) and is what he's used for all of his growing - and his cup winners. a simple one part that's half the price of gh floranova (which i bought recently). he also doesn't believe in supplements.

he had posters showing massive greenhouses from which he selects promising cultivars. it can only do good things for his seeds!

^I would have paid good money to see him in that suit! Well I'm running his formula now so we'll see how it goes with no supplements.

I've grown Cherry Haze. Actually I had a crop of Cherry Haze, Pink Kush, and Rez's Sour D IBL come down at the same time. Cherry Haze was very well loved, even amongst all those great strains. Very, very sticky. I stored some in a Voss water bottle and I nearly had to break the bottle. All the CH stuck together and wouldn't fit back out the opening, I would also agree that the yield was very very good. The colas reminded me of Apollo (11?).

The seed packs do look a lot nicer. The problem is when you take the plastic baggie out of the match book cover you basically have an unmarked bag of seeds. i wish they would label the bag so I don't have to . I do believe my Apple Pie was a more powerful and unique high when compared to the Cherry Haze but for the difference in flowering periods I would also go with the CH.

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

he has high hopes for cherry haze at the cannabis cup this year. why is harmony his best plant?

did you see any other seed companies that you liked?

nurlord

nurlord

he has high hopes for cherry haze at the cannabis cup this year. why is harmony his best plant?

did you see any other seed companies that you liked?

Can't speak for Reef but personally Cherry Haze while very very good isn't my favourite of his strains. That being said I do want to grow it again as I only grew out cuts off of one or two females last time. I'm also unsure if there are two different versions of CH. I mean some sites have it listed as Cherry Bomb x Purple Haze, and some sites have it listed as Cherry Bomb x Super Silver Haze. Reef has previously stated that SSH isn't his favourite haze so maybe that's why he likes the Harmony better.

Honestly man when I found out that there were no seeds being sold I really lost interest in the rest of the convention. I did pocket two of those Greenhouse Seeds grinders though.

D

Dubsta

I wish i could of showed up and i bet his Cherry Haze is some killer stuff, This Cherry Bomb Indica i got of his i dunno why its called cherry bomb INDICA cause shes pretty damn sativa, it should start to purple any time now, will finish with solid purple leafs.. I'm crossing it to a Herijuanna male it should be some killer stuff.. This is from Convex's Black Cherry Bomb Indica S1's..

DSCN0999 Large
DSCN1023 Large
DSCN1024 Large
buffbuds

buffbuds

the CBI that I grew had 2 phenotypes that I found out of 24 beans. The tall sativa pheno with the more sativa like buzz, and the shorty, with SERIOUS stank and a couchlock that can't be broken... that is definatly the tall one, ha. it yeilds better too.

Top Bottom