I need a profesional soil ph meter.

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
juggernaut

juggernaut

90% of my probles lead to ph so I don't take it lightle.
I am looking for a professional grade PH meter or top of the line commercial grade.
I looked at the o
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=686

A little pricey
http://www.sciencelab.com/page/S/PVAR/50-HI99121

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
im fairly new to using meters..have a hanna combo and dign it

BlueBlood

BlueBlood

Soil PH meters don't really work. If you read whitepapers of agriculture studies, they usually improv some way to estimate the soil PH depending on their particulars.

The best way, in my opinion, is to take equal parts by weight of the medium and distilled water, mix, strain, let the solids settle, then use a hydro pen.

It only gives you a sort of relative value, but at least its consistent and you can work with it.

P

Pimples

blue lab is high end

but affordable
Any pH meter in our "hobby hydroponics" industry is far from "high end". Blue Lab Combos are nice...i own one. But they are still "cheap" and not much different than Hannah...Millwaukee...Oakton..Hm....etc. The electrodes are all tue same. And for the most part they all are a crap shoot at best. Ive spent hundreds (no make that thousands ) over the last 2 decades dealing with absurd hobby meters and pens. For most....and for hobby cannabis gardening...they will do. But for quality and serious testing (and consistent reliability) you got to spend real bucks on a lab grade field meter or bench top model. Oakton....Hannah...etc. make those too but iam taking YSI or Myron. The good ones start at 500$ and thats not really the good good meters. This is an old post but iam a serious "hobby" cannabis farmer and i got tired of shitty pH readings from iffy electrodes a lomg time ago. People rave about Blue Labs as of late....just like Hannah back in the day. Blue Labs are nice...but FAR from high end.

Last edited:
ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Add, 2tablespoons of dolomite lime per gallon of soil, to your mix. Works well with bag soils.
Properly pH everything you water in. Water to 10% runoff everytime.
Do a mid season flush.
And be done with worries about soil pH.

Or buy a soil pH meter and chase pH.

Good soil has pH fluctuations that are deceiving. Ranging up and down as soil goes through wet/dry cycles. If your running into pH issues I would point to 3 possible areas to look into.

An unbalanced soil mix. Example: a "hot" soil using only guano products for N and P. Causing a low pH over time.

Overwatering

Overfeeding

Hope this helps.
Best of luck.
Peace

P

Pimples

I run a decent sized basement op and a greenhouse in the season. Have for. years. I rely on the pH readings of my nutrient solution tanks. Ive never lost a crop to a bad pH meter but ive come close. One time it took me weeks for a decent sized crop to "recover" from a shitty meter that was calibrated and cleaned but just a cheap hydro store junk. Almost cost me alot of money. If your tired of shitty meters but a weary of dropping serious coin try Myrons FET pen.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Any pH meter in our "hobby hydroponics" industry is far from "high end". Blue Lab Combos are nice...i own one. But they are still "cheap" and not much different than Hannah...Millwaukee...Oakton..Hm....etc. The electrodes are all tue same. And for the most part they all are a crap shoot at best. Ive spent hundreds (no make that thousands ) over the last 2 decades dealing with absurd hobby meters and pens. For most....and for hobby cannabis gardening...they will do. But for quality and serious testing (and consistent reliability) you got to spend real bucks on a lab grade field meter or bench top model. Oakton....Hannah...etc. make those too but iam taking YSI or Myron. The good ones start at 500$ and thats not really the good good meters. This is an old post but iam a serious "hobby" cannabis farmer and i got tired of shitty pH readings from iffy electrodes a lomg time ago. People rave about Blue Labs as of late....just like Hannah back in the day. Blue Labs are nice...but FAR from high end.

ISFET MINI LAB PH meter. Silicon tip (not glass) rugged, stable, stores dry, one drop calibration.

P

Pimples

Yep...ISFET pens by Myron and a few others are the bees knees. Microchip processor...can store them dry like you mentioned...much more rugged and durable. The glass bulb electrodes at the hobby hydro stores are not that good. Even blue lab. They work but are delicate...need replaced often (they all go bad eventually) and seem to fritz out just at the most critical times you need them to act rite. Keep them clean....calibrated regularly....and store them in pH storage solution (kcl) and pray. Lol.

P

Pimples

And the liquid drop colored check bromothymol blue vial dealys...notoriously inaccurate. And with all the dyed colored base nutes and additives like coffee black humics and seaweeds....forget it.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Yep...ISFET pens by Myron and a few others are the bees knees. Microchip processor...can store them dry like you mentioned...much more rugged and durable. The glass bulb electrodes at the hobby hydro stores are not that good. Even blue lab. They work but are delicate...need replaced often (they all go bad eventually) and seem to fritz out just at the most critical times you need them to act rite. Keep them clean....calibrated regularly....and store them in pH storage solution (kcl) and pray. Lol.

My bluelab combo ph electrode lasted me 3 years till I replaced it. Was still working but thought it was time. Would only ever be .1-.2 off if that. I always stored it wet though. Maybe their quality has gone down as of late but they used to be really good. Honestly that is where I draw the line on meters. 500 bucks? I would just get the pool drops to double check my meter for 7 bucks.

P

Pimples

Depends on the scale of the setup and what your trying to accomplish i suppose. 500$ aint shit for real deal pH meters. Try 3-4 grand for super accuracy. Really not needed for growing...even big time greenhouse setups...but they do use them in medinum...tissue and nute analysis.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
I payed $250 for my ISFET PH meter 8 yrs ago. Never a problem. Would never buy a cheap glass probe meter again.

Top Bottom