I need help! Soil Ph is too low

• Thread starter EMC2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
EMC2

EMC2

Looking for some help. Trying out organics instead of my usual synthetics and I've ran into an issue.

I used sub cools method for the most part. I turned it once a week for a month. On day 34, I measured the pH and it was perfect at 6.5. After, I let it sit in the barrel for an additional month without water/turning. I now need to use the soil for a project so I went back yesterday and the soil pH was only 4.6. What can I do to fix this issue? Below is my soil mix

ProductQuantityMeasurement
Pro-Mix Ultimate Organic Soil - 8bags - 28 liters or 12 lbs or 1 cu. ft.
Gold Label Coco - 1bag - 50 liters or 38.6 lbs or 13.2 gal
General Organics Ancient Forest Humus- 1 bag - 14.1 liters or 0.5 cu. ft.
Super Worm Poop - 3bags - 9 lbs
Espoma Bone Meal - 1bag - 4.5 lbs
Vitral Earths Guano Mix 7-7-2 - 1 bag - 4.4 lbs or 2 kg
Espoma Organic Blood Meal - 2bags - 3.5 lbs or 1.58 kg
Espoma Perlite (small pellets)- 1 bag- 1 cu. ft.
Espoma Rock Phosphate -0.5 bags - 7 lbs
Monterey Epsom Salt - 1 bag- measured cup 3.5 lbs
Espoma Garden Lime (Dolomite) 1/2 measured cup
Azomite 3/4 measured cup
Humic Acid 3 pinches or two tbls
Hoffman Dehydrated Super Manure 4-2-3 1 5 lbs or 2.27 kg
Espoma Gypsum 1/2 cup
Espoma Greensand 1/2 cup
Dr. Garth Alfalfa Meal 1 cup
Espoma Kelp Meal 3/4 cup

EMC2

EMC2

you can add sweet lime or dolomite lime @2tablespoons per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot. This will help. Your recipe isnt the same as subcools as you left this ingredient out. Best of luck.

Oyster shells also stabilize soil ph

Thanks for the feedback. Do I need to re-cook it some what or should it be good just mixed into the current soil?

soserthc1

soserthc1

Mix in the oyster shell and stir it up a bit and wait a day and the ph should rise up now as far as subs actually recipe I have never used it but I have made some hot out of range soil and corrected it with dom lime and oyster shells been a minute thou

S

ssteely71

I see you do have lime, but what is the rate you used it? Your recipe has gold label coco in gallons, what is it in cubic feet? Also The soil will adjust its own pH once you start using it. It is ok for organic soils pH to swing as the soil cycles through dry and wet phases. And once your bacteria become more active they will control pH to some degree. Best of luck.

dilligaf

dilligaf

Thanks for the feedback. Do I need to re-cook it some what or should it be good just mixed into the current soil?
I use one of revs old soil blends and have never checked ph..paid $90 for ph meter years back...never worked..but as I understand it dolomite lime needs to be cooked a couple of weeks first

Tnelz

Tnelz

Dolomite does not need to cook. However it takes a week or two to really get active. If ur pH is to low u can top dress with dolomite at about a tbls per gallon. Best way to get it going a little faster is to water a top dress in with a microbial tea. Imo anyway. In the future just mix it into ur pot before planting. But nothing bad will happen if u top dress but it's less effective! Good luck bro!

Top Bottom