I need simplicity!!

• Thread starter Concreteguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Concreteguy

Hi folks....I have been reading online blogs and all information I can find on the proper soil to use for growing, and am ebarassed to admit i have not heard of most of the things people say to use, such as coca coir, and other nutrients, soil additives. I live in a small place and specialty gardening stores, etc. are few are far in between. Where does one get these kinds of things? Are they found fairly commonly? Can I just use a high end potting soil combined with feed nutrients? Please help!!

Devilsharvest

Devilsharvest

Soil is a growing "medium" and so is coco.

Soil has nutrients in them, which the plant will use as it grows. After time the nuts. will be deminished.

Just start with some pots with soil and do some experimentations with the amount of water you give them. Starve one just to see how far you can go, and to see how strong this plant is.

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
If there aren't any speciality nurseries near you, just use the net to order coco type mediums and nutrients.

devious d

devious d

OR THERES PLENTY OF READY MIXED SOILS WITH THE RIGHT PH, EVEN BQ DO BASIC PH TESTERS AND WHITE VINEGAR IS A CHEAP PH DOWN IF YOU CANT GET THE PROPER ONE EVERY THING IS AVAILABLE ON LINE AND GROW SHOPS ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE NOW (well in the uk) so happy growing:smoke ps with coco your stepping into hydroponics for which you will need better nutrient and ph testing equipment

B

bonbonbondia

It is a weed, it'll grow in just about any type of dirt. My first grow, I grew two successfully in just cheap $1/40lbs bags of topsoil. Of course you don't get the best results that way.

There is one rule I would say when shopping around for soil. Don't get any of the potting soils that have the time released fertilizers! Sadly this includes most of them you will find at the stores.

H

herby

For soil I used black gold with good results and now am also running the coco with nutes regimen. I like em both but I have to say coco is very easy to use. Just follow the nute schedule and you will be fine and raise healthy plants.

http://www.canna-hydroponics.com/products/product_overview.html

theres a link so you can read up on canna there is also a section there for dealers so you can try and locate one near you.

P

ProGroWannabe

Here's just one of MANY online sites you can look into

B

bonghammer

I'm on the same quest, man. I used MG last few times..first batch killed alot of my plants..second grow most of the nutes were out so I've just been reusing the soil for the past six months. I live in the middle of nowhere and can't fin d anything besides miracle grow or something else with stuff added to the soil.

W

wellmedicated

What about miracle grow moisture control?Is that bad because it wont dry out enough?

G

Guano

All you need are Peat,perlite & wormcastings...most regular nursery or garden shops carry these items.Don'y buy MG or other soils which contain osmocote or other time released feed in them.They will cause more problems than they're worth.The simplest soil to use would be:

Soiless Mix #1:
5 parts Canadian Spaghnam Peat or Coir or Pro-Moss
3 parts perlite
2 parts wormcastings or mushroom compost or home made compost
Powdered dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.

Or, if you use Pro Mix or Sunshine Mix...

Soiless Mix #2:
6 parts Pro Mix BX or HP / Sunshine Mix or whatever
2 parts perlite
2 parts earthworm castings
Powdered dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.

Z

zombywolf

Yes, you can use a high end potting soil and basic nutes to produce an acceptable crop. Make sure that the potting soil is of a light variety-includes spag moss and vermiculite and perlite. You can use a basic powder fert like Peters or Jack's Classic-Jack's is better. Never use Miracle Grow or anything for African Violets.

Top Bottom