I need some extra odour control.

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
juggernaut

juggernaut

I have a 1709 cfm max exhaust fan on top a 2500cfm carbon filter and I'm still having problems. I can smell it outside and inside.Humidity was pretty high for a few days but it's around 45% now and it's no different.

Just wondering if I have any good solid options to clean the smell up.

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
More fans and filters? That has worked for me in the past...

PB

Natural

Natural

seriously? ..damn dude
Why isn't there negative pressure..is your intake too fast?
One thought..you can start with installing another can and fan and just sit it in the grow space to "scrub" the air.

K

KWolf

Not an expert here and don't know what situation you're growing in, but is air able to leak out some other way than through the fan/filter? I started looking around for gaps in my future grow location, found one against an external wall at the skirting board which needs something to fill it. Considering getting an energy audit done with a pressure test before I start buying hardware...

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
negative pressure FTW!

If you aren't running a totally sealed room, you need to be pulling air through the room and out 24/7. Example:

Room sealed pretty good when doors are closed. need a fresh air intake somewhere, preferably on opposite side of the room where your exhausting fan is. The exhaust, is the carbon filter with the ducting going out of the room. If you have a 10" fan, use an 8" hole.

This means that no air can escape the room without first going through the carbon filter. When I dry my shit, I use a carbon filter that exhausts straight out the house. As long As I have an open window or vent somewhere, Air cannot escape (no smell), but if I close all the vents windows etc... then the shit stinks it up bigtime.

You can also make yourself a little lung room. If you like I can go in to more detail..

K

KWolf

What's your humidity and filter age? I found this, which may help :

4 - Smell is leaking out of my grow room – This happens when you room has a positive air pressure created when you have more air coming through your intake fan than being removed through the exhaust. To combat this you need to decrease intake and increase your extraction. Remember: if you use a carbon filter it will reduce the efficiency of your fan by up to 25%.

7 - My carbon filter is not working – This happens when the humidity runs too high, above 75% the activated carbon will not be work effectively. Remember that most activated carbon has a life span that ranges between 6 to 18 months so if it has been in use for a while and has stopped working then it may need replacing. Also (see 4).

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
You don't need an intake fan. Your intake should be passive. all you need is an exhaust fan and a passive intake (A hole with a filter to keep the dust and bugs out)

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

ona really helps when things get dicey. go for the pro flavor, smells like urinal mint but goes away quick.

if you're venting, have you considered ozone? Cap, do you just use yours for the AC exhaust?

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Neg pressure is a must as stated above, if ur like me Ona is an invite to someone that recognizes that smell. Have u checked out . A fellow fatmer recomended it in another thread that i cannot find.

Confu.

juggernaut

juggernaut

sorry the carbon filter and max fan just scrubs the air in my room.

To cool my lights I bring air from outside.

2 10'intake ducts
they reduce to 8"
each 8" duct runs thru my magnum xxxl reflectors-3 lights each side
then they "T" together into a 12"
into my max fan 12"1709cfm
then out the roof.

Sorry about not giving this info earlier
Also it is a sealed room using co2. I'm running a bottle but I'm going thru a bottle every 2 weeks. Guessing some must be leaking thru the lights. I need to get a CO2 generator.

The smell in the room is strong so if I get that solved the rest should fall into place.

but...I'm going to tape the lights.....what tape should i use?

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

leaks from the hoods could be it. what about your AC, mini split or something else?

Confu, some of that vaportek stuff sounds like ona, but maybe less recognizable scents?

K

KWolf

It all makes more sense now. The CO2 will be increasing the pressure inside the room, so any gaps or weak points will leak odor not soaked up by your carbon filters. As a temporary measure I would probably stop the CO2 to stop the pressure differential, then, at least until the odor goes away, vent through a carbon filter T'd into your roof exhaust.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Neg pressure is a must as stated above, if ur like me Ona is an invite to someone that recognizes that smell. Have u checked out . A fellow fatmer recomended it in another thread that i cannot find.

Confu.
You have a point, no doubt, about the smell recognition, but there are many flavors of Ona. It's also used in hundreds of other applications, and was long before the cannabis industry discovered it.
BUT you're right; someone just might recognize and associate it with a grow, if they saw a grow that used it. My exhaust goes through my roof and the wind disperses it quickly. I use Ona in a pinch, and a block once saved a buddy in his car- cop at driver window and 2 lbs on backseat. Ona block on dash prevented "further questioning" {a la Rodney king}……… hahahaha

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
leaks from the hoods could be it. what about your AC, mini split or something else?

Confu, some of that vaportek stuff sounds like ona, but maybe less recognizable scents?
I onlu have seen Ona the blue one and the green one ( linen scent i think). I jus want something that smells diffrent. Mabe jus overly paranoid.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I onlu have seen Ona the blue one and the green one ( linen scent i think). I jus want something that smells diffrent. Mabe jus overly paranoid.
:-) a good sativa can do that... just testament to your skills bro!

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
ona really helps when things get dicey. go for the pro flavor, smells like urinal mint but goes away quick.

if you're venting, have you considered ozone? Cap, do you just use yours for the AC exhaust?

my ac exhaust is not stinking anymore, I think by blowing it in to the attic it was actually pushing in to the room below somehow and then creatign a positive pressure. Since I have exhausted the ac straight to the outside. No smell now. PLus I put an OZONE generator in the exhaust duct just to be safe.

Top Bottom