i need suggestions on a good microscope

• Thread starter knubs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't use Windows, so being married to it just to get compatibility with a scope or camera ain't in my game plan. :/
I'm loving my
Pentax PTX62216 8.5 X 21 mm Papilio Binoculars
I dunno about mite eggs but I have a bad back and using these standing straight up, I spotted mite damage on lower leaves--I had no idea there were mites in my grow. Cost about $105 at amazon mkt.
Hey... that's a good idea. I've got a nice set of Nikon binos my husband got me that are 10x25mm (IIRC), a trail scope but I don't see why it can't be used that way, too. Cool idear, mang!

seaslug

seaslug

No, these are special close-focus units. They focus from 1.5 feet to infinity (I guess, I haven't taken them outside). Pentax also makes a 6.5 x 21 model in this series.

Delerium

Delerium

Salutations Delerium,

Real-time monitoring is a feature you'd get with selected deluxe cameras but Eye-Fi (WiFi) SD memory cards will remove wiring in the less expensive models as well, but this ain't garanteed to be as direct i believe.

Beware, it doesn't always prove fully compatible:

:D

That is really awesome, so if the camera is compatible with wifi sd card it will display on the back of the camera and my pc?
That is smooth. I think it would be better than trying to look through a microscope squinting trying to get the magnification right , low light levels, and that vertigo feeling you can get.

Delerium

Delerium

Salutations Seamaiden,

No problem, take a closer look at these 2 other models listed below then you'll notice they are specifically said to support "Mac OS 10.6 & up" on the AmScope web site, with equal resolution using the very same sensor, apparently:

10x-20x-30x-60x-stereo-microscope-1-3m-usb-camera-15.gif

AmScope Item# SE305-AZ-MT

10x-20x-30x-60x-stereo-microscope-1-3m-digital-camera-15.gif

AmScope Item# SE305R-PZ-MT

I suspect AmScope simply fails to include Mac OS when describing the model i previously provided as an example:

20x-40x-80x-stereo-microscope-w-usb-image-system-30.gif

AmScope Item# SE306-PZ-USB

Which is a shame because that one offers 80x magnification while costing less...

That is a nice setup 2 for desktop. Running Mavericks but I have a Win 8 laptop controlling my electronic controllers.

K

knubs

i like the idea of using money for scope comparisons. the micro printing on a $20 bill is perfect.
here are some pics i took with my $30 ebay scope... there are 2 zoom settings so i decided to take a pic for both.

Scope1
Scope2

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Salutations Seamaiden,

No problem, take a closer look at these 2 other models listed below then you'll notice they are specifically said to support "Mac OS 10.6 & up" on the AmScope web site, with equal resolution using the very same sensor, apparently:
How about anything that works with Linux? I don't do Macs, either! I'm all about DIY & cheap-to-free, thus am now using either Android (phone/Tablet) or Linux Mint. I'm using Petra now.
That is really awesome, so if the camera is compatible with wifi sd card it will display on the back of the camera and my pc?
That is smooth. I think it would be better than trying to look through a microscope squinting trying to get the magnification right , low light levels, and that vertigo feeling you can get.
If THAT'S the case, then the image files should be viewable via Linux. Excellent! :D

Delerium

Delerium

What about a filter when the lights are on?
I use my iPhone now and shoot it through Method Seven Glasses to eliminate the yellow.

K

kolah

I bought one from radioshack for 15 bucks. It has a 30-60 and 100x magnification with a small light as well. it also sits upright on a firm base. I dont use it often but ut does come in handy to zoom in on bugs, fungi, etc.

I use a Radioshack loupe 5-10-15x (10 bucks) for viewing trichromes. I combine all three lenses and use it at 30x for best views of tris.

Reactions: boo
leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
@Egzoset Glad it was of help and I hope you like what you get. Thanks for the props and putting in your part.

K

knubs

I bought one from radioshack for 15 bucks. It has a 30-60 and 100x magnification with a small light as well. it also sits upright on a firm base. I dont use it often but ut does come in handy to zoom in on bugs, fungi, etc.

I use a Radioshack loupe 5-10-15x (10 bucks) for viewing trichromes. I combine all three lenses and use it at 30x for best views of tris.

i have a box of old cheapies and they suck. they need to be able to zoom just a little further in and stay in focus. i would love to be able to find a decent hand scope or a handheld digital one that would work though. i really dont want to spend $400+ on a scope that will have one temporary use. i would like to find one that is under $100... i don't necessarily need a full on lab scope or some expensive crazy camera, i just need something that physically see a broad mite egg. i know they have cheaper scopes that can do it. my cheap scopes get very close to what i need, but they wont quite let me zoom in far enough to see if i am looking at a capitate sessile trichome or a broad mite egg... in the end i would like to be able to examine my microbe brews, but for now it's not my biggest concern. i just want to make sure my crop is totally clean before i go to flower soon.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I decided to sticky this, as there's a lot of really good information in here now and I feel it's worth it.

K

knubs

Salutations Knubs,

If all you need is an optical microscope with the digital capture feature optional only then perhaps something like this would seem more appropriate:

Actually i wish it were available at my local Walmart!...

;)

i don't require the digital capture feature, but it would be nice. the functionality is definitely more important though.
i looked at the amscope and it seems near perfect. i would prefer something that has some sort of variable zoom, but if i can't one then i will probably just get the amscope. thanks Egzoset!

K

knubs

my main goal is to be able to see broad mite eggs, simple as that....everything else is extra. i assumed there would be more options for basic digital scopes that are like mine but not quite -as- crappy, but i guess not. i apologize that i dont really know what options are available for what i want, but that is why i am posting.... i like my digital scope, if i could find something a hair better than that then that is all i need. i see people all over posting pics after they get a broad mite problem, and i know most of these people have some pretty basic gear. i was hoping with all the people that have had broad mites that there would be bunches of people jumping in with first hand experience of what they have used, but apparently i asked this all on the wrong forum. i probably should have asked on icmag just because that's where the front line for broad mite battling use to be, but i like the farm better..

so if i can get a basic scope that will let me see hatched/unhatched eggs (that is my definition of a 'good' microscope) or even just definitively eggs for that matter then that will work. i wish to start experimenting with more organic remedies for BM's and i would love to be able to add pictures into my journal of notes, but if that is going to not be cost effective then i don't need that ability. within the next year though, i would like to be able to publish a detailed informative guide to fulling eradicating BM's from marijuana, so in the end i just need to be able to see what i am fighting and know if i am winning.

as for my ebay scope, it is a $30 white usb one that came with a stand and was not branded. it was suppose to be "200x" .... here is a trich shot on the most zoomed out setting.
Drohaze

neverbreak

neverbreak

i would recommend the followin one bro.

got it myself, it's awesome! seriously a good scope for the price n really got that expensive. bein trinocular means ya can hook up a camera to it and then sync it to a computer so ya can view everythin yer lookin at on a large screen instead. plus take high quality images.

neverbreak

K

knubs

i would recommend the followin one bro.

got it myself, it's awesome! seriously a good scope for the price n really got that expensive. bein trinocular means ya can hook up a camera to it and then sync it to a computer so ya can view everythin yer lookin at on a large screen instead. plus take high quality images.

neverbreak

have you ever had broad mites? if so how well could you identify the eggs with that scope?
also is there any chance you could check out a $20 bills micro printing with your scope and post a pic if you have the camera attachment? if you dont have the camera attachment then can you check out a $20 bill and let me know how it looks zoom and clarity wise compared to my pics on page 2?

Salutations Knubs,

OKay, here's another bet. Originally found via DigiKey:

Google Images: Aven "Mighty Scope" "26700-209" "5M USB Digital Microscope"

This reminds me of the Veho, perhaps you have one similar to that already.

that is probably a lot better than my scope. if it actually has a true 200x zoom that should be plenty.

this is a scope like what i have.

neverbreak

neverbreak

have you ever had broad mites? if so how well could you identify the eggs with that scope?
also is there any chance you could check out a $20 bills micro printing with your scope and post a pic if you have the camera attachment? if you dont have the camera attachment then can you check out a $20 bill and let me know how it looks zoom and clarity wise compared to my pics on page 2?

never had broadmites fortunately, but it does have remarkable zoom.

unfortunately i no longer actually have the scope in my possession, so can't help with the test. sorry bro. all i can say is that i was very impressed with the clarity of the images and lens in the camera.

neverbreak

H

haole

A dinolite is a decent brand that comes in a basic model for around 150$ with stand. Here is the one I have:

good enough to see and id springtail larvae, which are quite microscopic.

Better models have some sweet features like digitally stitching together a series of images to give a broad range of focus despite the high zoom.

Top Bottom