i need suggestions on a good microscope

• Thread starter knubs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

knubs

this see
A dinolite is a decent brand that comes in a basic model for around 150$ with stand. Here is the one I have:

http://www.dino-lite.com/products_list_minute.php?product_number=AM2011 Dino-Lite Basic

good enough to see and id springtail larvae, which are quite microscopic.

Better models have some sweet features like digitally stitching together a series of images to give a broad range of focus despite the high zoom.

is there any chance you could do the $20 bill micro printing test and post some pics?

K

knubs

well i bought the AmScope H100 microscope and it came with the wrong objective lens... i will report back when they send me the right one.

K

knubs

well AmScope turned out to be cool and helpful on the objective lens issue. i already have my new one and they sent me a prepaid shipping label to return the old one with.

now this scope is working great and i think it was the perfect choice!! i was able to clearly look at capitate sessile trichomes and easily identify that they were not broad mite eggs. i got the model with the 10x objective, and i got a 10x eye piece and a 16x eye piece. this means i can be browsing at 100x with a graduated eye piece and if i really want a better look at something i can just drop in the 16x lens really quick and go to 160x.
this scope is pretty cool. i like its simple design and effectiveness. there are also more lens's available for it and cameras available for it.

also i found NO broad mite eggs anywhere in my garden. i am pretty happy about that. i was pretty sure i had them gone now, but i am always paranoid... i spent hours picking leaves and scanning them.

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

my main goal is to be able to see broad mite eggs, simple as that....everything else is extra. i assumed there would be more options for basic digital scopes that are like mine but not quite -as- crappy, but i guess not. i apologize that i dont really know what options are available for what i want, but that is why i am posting.... i like my digital scope, if i could find something a hair better than that then that is all i need. i see people all over posting pics after they get a broad mite problem, and i know most of these people have some pretty basic gear. i was hoping with all the people that have had broad mites that there would be bunches of people jumping in with first hand experience of what they have used, but apparently i asked this all on the wrong forum. i probably should have asked on icmag just because that's where the front line for broad mite battling use to be, but i like the farm better..

so if i can get a basic scope that will let me see hatched/unhatched eggs (that is my definition of a 'good' microscope) or even just definitively eggs for that matter then that will work. i wish to start experimenting with more organic remedies for BM's and i would love to be able to add pictures into my journal of notes, but if that is going to not be cost effective then i don't need that ability. within the next year though, i would like to be able to publish a detailed informative guide to fulling eradicating BM's from marijuana, so in the end i just need to be able to see what i am fighting and know if i am winning.

as for my ebay scope, it is a $30 white usb one that came with a stand and was not branded. it was suppose to be "200x" .... here is a trich shot on the most zoomed out setting.
View attachment 373525
New oic
I'm hoping somebody can help me with the scope i just got... picture quality is bunk or i'm not doing something right??

I think i saw it on the first page and went with it. The 30$ scope you have has a way better image than mine. When i tried to take a tric shot off a nug it was really blurry. I don't have 5-600 for a scope... i just want to confirm if have broads or not. Thanks all

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What's wrong with that photo you got? Sure looks good to me.

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

What's wrong with that photo you got? Sure looks good to me.
Doesn't seem as clear as some of the pics i've seen here... I can't ID if i got eggs??? Something wrong with my kids... stunted and nute‎ deficiencies... I'm going to be tied up for a few hours, can i send you a pm and take a look at a few pics? You always seem to have a good idea of what's wrong!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Doesn't seem as clear as some of the pics i've seen here... I can't ID if i got eggs??? Something wrong with my kids... stunted and nute‎ deficiencies... I'm going to be tied up for a few hours, can i send you a pm and take a look at a few pics? You always seem to have a good idea of what's wrong!
You can, but you'll get more responses, including from those who've actually experienced broad mites (I keep an eye on the threads and such, so far no direct experience) as well as myself if you put up a thread. :)

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

He said he doesn't know about mite eggs? But spotted mite damage.... So can these actually spot eggs? Mites are much harder to detect than eggs i thought?
i don't know man, i just thought it'd be more helpful to provide a link to any product someone touts and as that had not been provided in this case i thought i'd do it myself, ...i like the looks of these binoculars and will probably get a set but i won't be looking to use it to spot mites or their eggs, for that i'm still in the market for a decent microscope.

...i have to admit that neither is very high on my priority list at this time so while i consider myself 'in the market' for both, i'm still very much in the 'shopping' stages, lol.

peace, bozo

seaslug

seaslug

Update: the stipling I thought was mite damage was likely early Ca deficiency, I think . . . although there were a couple webs strung between plants early on. The binoculars are excellent for watching intersex nanners and seeds develop. (One of my females experienced drought in midflower.)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I thought I was misreading the whole thing with the binos. You're really using binoculars to view up close? How are you doing that?

seaslug

seaslug

Optics. I dropped out of college physics at this point but two models from Pentax focus down to 1.6 feet (half a meter).

O

OBeeOne

hello everyone, i am trying to get some recommendations on good digital microscopes. i want one that will let me clearly distinguish between a hatched and unhatched broad mite egg. i currently have a cheap usb scope off ebay and a hand full of different handheld scopes. currently i am not happy with any of them...
so if anyone has a scope that they love, please let me know what kind it is.
For a prettydamned good quality microscope on the cheap try these two suggestions: Get an old webcam and remove (unscrew)the lens and flip it around! Then use your computer monitor to view or... Another one I use all the time is the lens out of an old slide projector (the main long lens) there are a couple of lenses actually mounted in a long plastic lens enclosure! Remove this enclosure and in the end that would be facing you if you were showing a film place a spotters scope to look thru. Look thru spotters scope thru the projector lens and kaboom! I have a cheap spotters scope (cpl of bux) and the projector from a thrift store for 4 bux. Not sure of the power but its as good or better than the pic of the mite^^^^ up there! Both my spotters scope and the projector lens have focus but once adjusted its amazing for a 6 dollar microscope! Cheers!

zeKemyst

zeKemyst

If you can afford it then I suggest getting a good stereoscopic microscope, like this

over a compound microscope.

The former are much more fun and you can get attachments for high magnification - not as high as a compound microscope - but will be fine for your needs unless you're wanting to resolve things like individual chloroplasts. They have much better depth of field also

B

Burned Haze

Thanks for the above information and suggestions. But i need to finalize my choice so I don't pick something out of range or waste of obvious money.

* Is amscope a good brand for this or just example scope?

* Amscope: They have a bunch of different versions and different use scopes, I would love to hear a exact model or what range at least So i don't fuck myself by buying wrong $300-500 scope that can't even see mites or a lot of work . Anyways being a noobie on this topic and owning 3 $20-$50 and they can't see mites easily or at all.

-BH

Last edited by a moderator:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I cannot say, but I can bump you! I believe Amscope is a decent manufacturer, though.

W

whocares

Im saving for a good scope. Pumped to get one.

I use a 3x magnifier attachment that clips on my phone. And my phone camera has 4x zoom. Is that enough to see russets? Im not sure if that equals 7x zoom or if its 12x.

Top Bottom