I Need To Set A A Huge Drip System. Please Help.

• Thread starter MendoGiantZ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

Hey everyone. About to set up my drip system for the year and it's probably my least experienced part of the job. How do I create even pressure to every plant and not clog my emitters. I was gonna get a 3000 gallon tank and buy a pump with large volume so I can get good water pressure. It's a large garden.

I need to set a a huge drip system please help
GrowingGreen

GrowingGreen

Hey everyone. About to set up my drip system for the year and it's probably my least experienced part of the job. How do I create even pressure to every plant and not clog my emitters. I was gonna get a 3000 gallon tank and buy a pump with large volume so I can get good water pressure. It's a large garden.
This is what use for 16 plants all you would need is a bigger res

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

Mendo can i ask your spending budget ??? i just put in SDI system sub surface irrigation i think that is what you should look at possibly doing it after this harvest when we look at all almond farms and what there doing its all sub surface Its expensive but savings come back tri fold less water usage , moisture monitors etc and you can run it all on solar power :) like i am

IMG3205
IMG3205

The Terps

The Terps

build a nice perimeter wall and a massive pond and just flood and drain. But if you get a nice inline pump and a sprinkler timer box you can split it into zones. that way you have enough water pressure all over. If you make your zones the right size say 5-10 plants each you'd have more than enough pressure to clear any debris in the line and evenly water.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Can't speak to automation or zones or the like but as for filters look into Arkal brand disk filters (got mine at dripworks.com) They're made to grab larger, organic debris out of the lines.

Also, if you go to the manufacturers website of the drip emitters you're planning on getting there should be a chart showing what micron # filter to use so they don't clog.

MSH

MSH

I've been studying this quite a bit these last few days because I'm about to setup a system myself. To keep an even pressure in a garden that big it's best to use a multi zone sprinkler timer an divide the garden in to multiple zones. You can also use something along the lines of Octabubblers, they have built in pressure regulators. As far as combatting clogs you will need an inline filter and I think the bigger the GPH on the emitters the less change you have on them clogging up.

There are a few guys on here that are really experienced in building drip systems and hopefully they will help you out, good luck!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
My advice is don't assume that the pressure coming out of the tank is good. It can often be too much pressure, which will blow your lines, especially as it gets hot (if they're above ground the risk is even greater).

mack 10

mack 10

Solar panel is sweet.
use bigger bore pipe and pressure regulators.

Digging out a pool is a great idea.
I saw a other cat use an excavator to dig the pond in winter an let it fill with snow, but your in Cali, no?

Whatever you decide make sure you have a good filter before the drip line.

str8smokn

str8smokn

These are good inline filters ,just for debris. If you use a paper or fiber filter it will filter out your nutes also I would think.
I'm not sure what size your wanting to do the feed pipe,but they make all sizes.. And as long as you don't end your feed pipe at a dripper ,run your feed pipe just pass it and then cap it. That should equalize the pressure.
Hope it helps.
What kind of pump ,and holding tank will you be using?
STR8

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

I am gonna get a three thousand gallon tank that is gonna be on a float valve from the garden hose that comes from the well. I am gonna use my 1200 gallon tank for fertilizing. There is a place for a filter after the water comes out of the well but I took it out because I wanted to get as much pressure as I could when I hand watered so it would take less time. I am gonna put the filter back in so the water in the tank stays really clean. The guy helping me bought me a 400 dollar pump and said it does about 12 gpm. He said I could spend a lot more on the 22 gpm pump but he thinks it's better to get a more expensive timer and do more zones. The pump he got me does really good amounts of volume which he said is really important. He reccomended doing 8 - 12 grow bags per zone. We're gonna set up 9 zones and have them get watered early in the morning. I think I'm gonna do 1 " poly to run from the timer to each zone. Then do 3/4 inch Spurs to the grow bag. I'm not sure what to do for the actual emitters. Blaze recommended using the netafim and he is pretty experienced so I'm leaning towards going that direction. My plumbing guy likes using 3 spray emitters. So many choices. Still haven't decided

The Terps

The Terps

I was just joking about the pound flood drain just thought it was funny. Whatever brand you get for emitters just go through with your pocket knife and cut off the little "snag" of plastic from the mold where it will catch debris. Most won't have the snag but some are bad and a quick nip with your knife and it will last for years. I've used rain bird netafim and octabubllers I keep buying bird cause it's most available and quality is decent

cachimbo

cachimbo

Call me I will guide you and keep you together .I dripped 268 acres annually and understand economic ways where are you??

Cachimbo

Last edited by a moderator:
cachimbo

cachimbo

I have no problem spending money on things that are worth it but I'm not gonna be at this property forever so ponds and super permanent fixtures aren't really ideal
Using your pressure outlet take the time to fill a five gal bucket...You should see in the neighborhood of 7.5 gpm ~=450 gph depending on the source pressure.
I use pressure compensating venturi self cleaning drippers 2gph and 1gph for that flow use 3/4" Dia main poly and all run outs are 1/2".... at every plant location use a 1/8" male/male transfer...never insert a pc drippers in the main or runout the barb will break off... use the transfer and 2- 3 feet of spaghetti with the dripper at the end look for one pp
.as a farmer learn to improvise. For a Line punch you will always be losing. Use a broomstick. DRive a 2 in nail in the end and cut to 3/8" all done
...for filter use 140 mesh y strainer . I use DIG battery operated propagation timer... mine is programed to run 7 days a week 0545-2230 cycling as I need her ...
right now all outdoor valvs are off and she is on every 33
min for 31 sec in that period in the Gh cost is about timer.$120.00 As any
For injection use a Venturi off the pressure Line with the filter right aft

Before....drippers are Sunspot barb fittings as are all connections here possible I have used all systems to wet and feed with and this is my best since 1978 you can call a rep but stick with Wyatt supply in sunspot drippers and the Dig battery operated pripagation timer
If it ain'the broke don'the fix it

Top Bottom