I need to understand humidity problem

• Thread starter PjMaC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Two for a 4x8? Ok I get that now. My house sits around 25-30% in winter.

I really am working on the exhaust. I have an inkbird temp/humidity controller, a carbon filter, and an ac infinity fan in my cart lol.
That's all a great start, those are important items for your tent. My temp controller is Bayite brand and rated up to 15 amps. They look a bit different than inkbird but perform the same task ...

How many square feet is your humidifier rated for

P

PjMaC

That's all a great start, those are important items for your tent. My temp controller is Bayite brand and rated up to 15 amps. They look a bit different than inkbird but perform the same task ...

How many square feet is your humidifier rated for
The specs say medium to large room with medium being 400 and large being 600. It's this one.
Screenshot 20220121 192221 Samsung Internet

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Since you mentioned a few posts back that you're operating on a budget, buy what you can as you can. It's better to buy quality items even if it takes you longer to get everything you need.

With that said, even though your rH isn't ideal you should still be able to manage a decent grow. Low humidity won't kill them, and later on they will automatically help raise the humidity as they fill your space and begin to transpire.

The VPD chart guidelines should ultimately be your goal, but in the meantime your plants will still survive.

@PK1 suggested a wet towel. You can also put a fan blowing on a bus tub or similar filled with water. There are hacks that will get you by until you have the funds to purchase more equipment. The exhaust vent system should be high on your list of priorities though. It will help draw the air from the room into the tent.

P

PjMaC

well no wonder..
that’s not good for growing at all..
have to spend more than that, buy a good one to do the job needed..
i got something similar to that and its not usually enough, but make a towel wet and hang it. Problem solved 😂
This all goes back to if I had proper ventilation and controllers to maintain the environment in my tent, I wouldn't have this bad of a problem even with my junky humidifier which could do a better job with the proper setup. Especially since the wet towel is so last year 😆

P

PjMaC

Since you mentioned a few posts back that you're operating on a budget, buy what you can as you can. It's better to buy quality items even if it takes you longer to get everything you need.

With that said, even though your rH isn't ideal you should still be able to manage a decent grow. Low humidity won't kill them, and later on they will automatically help raise the humidity as they fill your space and begin to transpire.

The VPD chart guidelines should ultimately be your goal, but in the meantime your plants will still survive.

@PK1 suggested a wet towel. You can also put a fan blowing on a bus tub or similar filled with water. There are hacks that will get you by until you have the funds to purchase more equipment. The exhaust vent system should be high on your list of priorities though. It will help draw the air from the room into the tent.
I'm picking up what y'all are putting down. Thank you all for taking the time to help me out.
I imagine it gets aggravating seeing questions that wouldn't be asked if people would get the basics right that would avoid the problem. I understand the problem better now.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

With the heater off and the vent open, humidity is dropping.

I guess we have our answer there. Cost of running a humidifier is likely less than a space heater. Ideally, you would want to heat the room with your heat pump like you do for the rest of your house. Is night time temps 68 or do you lower the house temperature at night. If it's a constant 68-70 in the room without the space heater, consider a couple of reptile lights for heat and UV.

P

PjMaC

I guess we have our answer there. Cost of running a humidifier is likely less than a space heater. Ideally, you would want to heat the room with your heat pump like you do for the rest of your house. Is night time temps 68 or do you lower the house temperature at night. If it's a constant 68-70 in the room without the space heater, consider a couple of reptile lights for heat and UV.
Never thought of a reptile light. It's funny because I was at a pet store a few counties away to get the dogs some xmas presents, and this girl was there with her dad.
She was getting a chameleon that her dad had ordered 4 days prior. This kid was excited lol. She had been in there everyday asking the woman who runs it every question in the world about her chameleon lol.
Anyway... when I was there, she was discussing if she needed ir or uv for her lizard. Turns out she didn't.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Never thought of a reptile light. It's funny because I was at a pet store a few counties away to get the dogs some xmas presents, and this girl was there with her dad.
She was getting a chameleon that her dad had ordered 4 days prior. This kid was excited lol. She had been in there everyday asking the woman who runs it every question in the world about her chameleon lol.
Anyway... when I was there, she was discussing if she needed ir or uv for her lizard. Turns out she didn't.
UV/IR both play a role in your grow. The reptile lights would be on the timer with your LED lights so their role is day time heat and an expanded light spectrum.

Edit: I'm not sure you would really need the extra speed controller if you're running it through an Inkbird. An inline fan speed controller is sufficient and use your inkbird as the temp controller.

GanjaFarmer24

GanjaFarmer24

I just got done doing a budget grow last year. 32x32x60 tent, a 150 watt led, 4" inline fan w/carbon filter, a couple 3 gallon mop buckets and some bagseeds. Got 3 oz dried per plant. It is more stressful tho.

freezeland2

freezeland2

UV/IR both play a role in your grow. The reptile lights would be on the timer with your LED lights so their role is day time heat and an expanded light spectrum.

Edit: I'm not sure you would really need the extra speed controller if you're running it through an Inkbird. An inline fan speed controller is sufficient and use your inkbird as the temp controller.
I run something similar. I run a small commercial fan as a exhaust. It is controlled by an inkbird IHC-200 humidity controller. I don’t use their temp controller. I am running an oil filled space heater. The thermostat on that heater has been fairly reliable so I haven’t had the need for separate temp controller. I am running two cool mist humidifiers 24/7. I wish I could plug them into the inkbird humidity controller but I’d have to rewire their switches. Don’t feel like messing with it. My environment is pretty stable at 78-82 air temp and leaf temps 75-77. RH is trending 58 - 60%. The room is 4x8 with an HLG Scorpion over 4 plants. Working well thus far. Getting ready to set up a tent in another room. Time to dial in another room, lol. Fun times.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
I'm in a similar situation. I'm in a 12x12 (approx) basement room with 3 tents (4x4, 3x3 and a 4x2). There was no way i could keep the humidity up in the winter for the temps required (80 ish). I was dealing with 30% and below. There's no way a small 'cool mist' style humidifier could add any useful humidity. It might only raise the RH by a few %. If your heater is up to the task, get a humidifier that can handle the situation.

That said, I've grown for years in fairly low humidity. Just expect things to be a little bit slower and feed accordingly.

P

PjMaC

Thank you all for the help. I guess I was thinking my humidifier was enough to do a small room. I can see now from the info y'all provided that I was wrong.
30-40% is the best I can expect until I get my grow space set up with the proper equipment. I'm going to buy the fan I put up ^^^, a carbon filter, some duct work, and then a humidity controller. I will try that out with my tent closed and see if there's any improvement.
At worst, humidity only goes up a little more, but at least I'll have a better controlled environment for my plants.

GanjaFarmer24

GanjaFarmer24

Try a spray bottle filled with water and mist your plants a little. As it evaporates it will raise your RH. Just don't do it in late flower as you'll get bud mold.
Rain on a sunny day, look for a rainbow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom