i need your expert opinion xD 1st time grower

• Thread starter paranoidperson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
quirk

quirk

I have another suggestion for you. I've been growing for a number of years now and my wife (my wife does most of the work) and I use a moisture meter to determine when to water. We think of it as an "SOP" ... a standard operating procedure. We use one of these. Here in the USA they run roughly $10.00.

View attachment 1233773
Using those same meters, the built in holes of my Airpots make it easy to double check the moisture content at different levels.

Moisture Check
Last edited:
quirk

quirk

mine are really this back? man i didn't think that they were so much behind, can you tell me more about what can cause slow growth? my temps range from 20-22 celsius at night and max at 26-27 at light on, humidity might be on low side at 49 to 60% my lamp is a viparspectra p1000 at 55% light power, 20/4 light cycle, soil as i said, biobizz allmix
I'm not proficient at diagnosing problems that I haven't experienced and I'm not familiar with the Biobizz Allmix. I can say your max temps and the low humidity are part of the problem. The light is a true 100W and is set to 55% or 55W. Is it within 18"? Misting is great to increase humidity, but root development requires a combination of moisture and oxygen. Moist, not wet, with plenty of air pockets. You can't overwater a well draining mix. You can water too OFTEN keeping the mix saturated thus driving out oxygen. If I hold your head underwater for five minutes, the water doesn't kill you, the lack of oxygen does. Just like us, roots gotta breathe.

TSD

TSD

Using those same meters, the built in holes of my Airpots make it easy to double check the moisture content at different levels.
I assume you water more often in air pots? Might have to try them sometime. Tried fabric, wasn't a fan, but I went too big. You like the air pots?

TSD

TSD

I was just stating how I do it, everyone has thier way. At 11 days old, they should be able to handle being saturated if the soil and environment is proper. Mine are 15 days old and have been saturated twice, I have roots stating to poke out the bottom holes in a couple spots of my (3/4) gallon pots and they are healthy, working on thier 4th set of leaves and tiny inner nodes are sprouting. You really just have to learn from experience and do what works for you in your particular environment. Here s my 15 day old Black Cherry Punch, feminized photo.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

do they look good to you? one is do si dos auto, and the other is lsd auto and they are 11 days old :) thx for your time

View attachment 1233275
View attachment 1233276
View attachment 1233277
View attachment 1233278
View attachment 1233279
View attachment 1233280
Hi
It is crucial not to overwater at this stage ,overwatering is the #1 mistake growers make, I wouldn't soak them or the root won't breathe,don't let them dry out and you will be fine. As they get bigger you can add more water and eventually you can thoroughy water the pot and let them dry out and repeat. Later on if you see leaf tips brown you are watering too much,if they wilt you're not watering enough,maintain the balance and good luck.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I was just stating how I do it, everyone has thier way. At 11 days old, they should be able to handle being saturated if the soil and environment is proper. Mine are 15 days old and have been saturated twice, I have roots stating to poke out the bottom holes in a couple spots of my (3/4) gallon pots and they are healthy, working on thier 4th set of leaves and tiny inner nodes are sprouting. You really just have to learn from experience and do what works for you in your particular environment. Here s my 15 day old Black Cherry Punch, feminized photo. View attachment 1234023
No one is criticizing what you're doing. There's a huge difference between 3/4 gallon pot and a 3 gallon pot. If you have good root growth, they can take more water. Rock on, friend ... and enjoy the "fruits" of your labor. It's a weekend so I'll be enjoying mine ...

TSD

TSD

No one is criticizing what you're doing. There's a huge difference between 3/4 gallon pot and a 3 gallon pot. If you have good root growth, they can take more water. Rock on, friend ... and enjoy the "fruits" of your labor. It's a weekend so I'll be enjoying mine ...
Yes definitely, 3 gallon is big for seedlings, but doable, but definitely better to start smaller till you get the hang of watering.

quirk

quirk

I assume you water more often in air pots? Might have to try them sometime. Tried fabric, wasn't a fan, but I went too big. You like the air pots?
I'm a big fan of the airpots because of their versatility. You can reduce a five gallon to a three gallon or combine fives to make a ten or larger. They have the built in holes for training, they drain well, develop a great root system, easy to lift and easy to clean. I use the fabric as well, but have to install grommets and the root system, while robust, isn't as extensive in my experience. That being said the yield is less than an ounce difference when I've grown the same strain simultaneously with the nod going to the airpots. As far as watering, in my grow environment it's the same.

IAdjustable Airpots
Pipe cleaners
Airpot
P

paranoidperson

I'm a big fan of the airpots because of their versatility. You can reduce a five gallon to a three gallon or combine fives to make a ten or larger. They have the built in holes for training, they drain well, develop a great root system, easy to lift and easy to clean. I use the fabric as well, but have to install grommets and the root system, while robust, isn't as extensive in my experience. That being said the yield is less than an ounce difference when I've grown the same strain simultaneously with the nod going to the airpots. As far as watering, in my grow environment it's the same.
Yes definitely, 3 gallon is big for seedlings, but doable, but definitely better to start smaller till you get the hang of watering.
Hi
It is crucial not to overwater at this stage ,overwatering is the #1 mistake growers make, I wouldn't soak them or the root won't breathe,don't let them dry out and you will be fine. As they get bigger you can add more water and eventually you can thoroughy water the pot and let them dry out and repeat. Later on if you see leaf tips brown you are watering too much,if they wilt you're not watering enough,maintain the balance and good luck.
I'm at day 15 and they grew a bit, end they even started smelling gooood xD look at them and tell me if they look good to you
Screenshot 20220411 212203 Gallery

Screenshot 20220411 212238 Gallery

this is plant 1, the smelliest
Screenshot 20220411 212207 Gallery

Screenshot 20220411 212232 Gallery

and this is plant 2, smells a bit less but still, is one day younger than the other one
also I don't know if I can start feeding, bc the soil is heavily fertilized from the start, ill be using bio bizz trypack, I've already mixed 1ml of biogrow and 1 of biobloom in 1.5l of water, recommended is 1ml of each in 1 lt so I went on a safe and low side for nutrients, concentrationwise

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I'm at day 15 and they grew a bit, end they even started smelling gooood xD look at them and tell me if they look good to you
View attachment 1234999
View attachment 1235000
View attachment 1235001
View attachment 1235002
and this is plant 2, smells a bit less but still, is one day younger than the other one
also I don't know if I can start feeding, bc the soil is heavily fertilized from the start, ill be using bio bizz trypack, I've already mixed 1ml of biogrow and 1 of biobloom in 1.5l of water, recommended is 1ml of each in 1 lt so I went on a safe and low side for nutrients, concentrationwise
Look pretty young to start feeding especially if you say your soil is heavily fertilized already. I would just add water and wait for them to ask to for food. Perhaps experiment with one plant

quirk

quirk

View attachment 1234999
View attachment 1235000
View attachment 1235001
View attachment 1235002
Looking good.

M

Mrwickspiff

i saw a post that they suggested doing this for the first 10 days, only spray the top then switch to normal watering, and i was to switch to do what you suggested, btw they are a bit less than 3 gallon plastic pots, they have holes on the bottom side, i even tapd small holes whit a nail on the bottom for aereation, so okay, im going to stop and do as you guys suggested, thx alot xD
Your good the way your doing it trust me when u start to see more nodes than increase the water make sure you always PH it to 6.2-6.7!nothing above nothing below I aim for 6.5

Latest posts

Top Bottom