I started my first compost,any pro tips?

• Thread starter Michigan.Out.Of.Doors
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Last night I picked a spot a little ways in the woods between some trees,I set up 3 pallets in the shape of a staple.reinforced with logs and tied a tarp to cover my soil I dug up,I threw in some moss and mushrooms growing nearby for some fungal diversity but what do you guys recommend I feed my pile,I also dumped a little bone meal in just because

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

If you live close to the ocean you could collect seaweed f.ex. or put a few fishes up in there.

I have not built soil myself yet but Reading a bit here and there.

There is good literature about the food web in soil.

You could also add worms but there is no rush to do that, I think.

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

If you live close to the ocean you could collect seaweed f.ex. or put a few fishes up in there.

I have not built soil myself yet but Reading a bit here and there.

There is good literature about the food web in soil.

You could also add worms but there is no rush to do that, I think.
Don't live by the sea but I'll add all the organisms I can

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Leaves or anything you mow, catch it and mulch it is fastest. Manure, dried is best. If you live near any woods or forest, the stuff under the latest layer of leaves. Any kitchen waste, someone said no meat something to do with worms. But I keep a scrap bucket that goes out each evening. Cover with cardboard, it rots easy but makes a good cover and let's you know when to flip. It will draw worms and the good bacteria and such, just feed it lots of brown and green.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Homesteader has a great thread about making native organisms, but really and honestly what your doing is not thermophelic compost which is the method most used, thermo meaning heat the heat breaks down organic matter and theres a whole science about temps, turning and watering at set temps. You need percentages of brown and green inputs to compost properly not to mention a large pile. its goes on and on like that when your really doing that stuff. Vermipost is making compost using worms, thats the easiest and most accesable method of most folk in my opinion, straight forward, make tubs or a burm put worms and feed scraps into the bedding harvest later on down the line.
What your doing may break down a lil bit or turn into nice nutrient rich black stuff but is not really compost.
Why pallets in the woods with random gathered stuff? Compost can go down on your counter with Bokashi only 20 bucks on inoc for it!
Whats your mission, whats the goal?
Manure by the truck load is chap and easily sourced locally, you pile it up and it gets hot and breaks down, with a bit of turning and water in a few months its beaut!!!
worms is a 20 purchase and some newspaper soil and food scrap away
You need to look up Vermi, Thermo, and Bokashi and decide what fits your goal.
What ever you do order up some Effective Microbes or EM and give it a healthy dose!
remember, proper planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance producing a plethora of purple pounds of pot!!!!

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Homesteader has a great thread about making native organisms, but really and honestly what your doing is not thermophelic compost which is the method most used, thermo meaning heat the heat breaks down organic matter and theres a whole science about temps, turning and watering at set temps. You need percentages of brown and green inputs to compost properly not to mention a large pile. its goes on and on like that when your really doing that stuff. Vermipost is making compost using worms, thats the easiest and most accesable method of most folk in my opinion, straight forward, make tubs or a burm put worms and feed scraps into the bedding harvest later on down the line.
What your doing may break down a lil bit or turn into nice nutrient rich black stuff but is not really compost.
Why pallets in the woods with random gathered stuff? Compost can go down on your counter with Bokashi only 20 bucks on inoc for it!
Whats your mission, whats the goal?
Manure by the truck load is chap and easily sourced locally, you pile it up and it gets hot and breaks down, with a bit of turning and water in a few months its beaut!!!
worms is a 20 purchase and some newspaper soil and food scrap away
You need to look up Vermi, Thermo, and Bokashi and decide what fits your goal.
What ever you do order up some Effective Microbes or EM and give it a healthy dose!
remember, proper planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance producing a plethora of purple pounds of pot!!!!
It's not really anything now but eventually I'm looking to expand it to be larger and more effective,this is just a temporary start to my compost

growsince79

growsince79

Last night I picked a spot a little ways in the woods between some trees,I set up 3 pallets in the shape of a staple.reinforced with logs and tied a tarp to cover my soil I dug up,I threw in some moss and mushrooms growing nearby for some fungal diversity but what do you guys recommend I feed my pile,I also dumped a little bone meal in just because
Fruit and veg peels, old unwanted weeds, wood chips, chicken shit, and dry leaves.

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Fruit and veg peels, old unwanted weeds, wood chips, chicken shit, and dry leaves.
I saw somewhere that ash is good,just wood ash or wood ash from joints be good since it it organic,maybe resin?

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

A big ol pile of s**t and some worms will really get your party started long story short. If you into sourcing high quality cheap stuff look into your local agriculture like, fruit or grain you can get cheap or free windfalls, you can get cheap super good barley and wheat straw for cheap. In my neck of the woods i got windfall apples by the truck load for FREE!!! Just gotta elbow grease it up, any ag has by product, much by product can be composted

Homesteader

Homesteader

I prefer having a pile of compost that chickens are allowed to scavenge through. I don't worry about what goes in. Meat, milk, paper towels....whatecer my kids don't eat. You should see my chickens devour a carcass. Strange that cousin Roo is their favorite meal although watermelon would give them second guesses

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

A big ol pile of s**t and some worms will really get your party started long story short. If you into sourcing high quality cheap stuff look into your local agriculture like, fruit or grain you can get cheap or free windfalls, you can get cheap super good barley and wheat straw for cheap. In my neck of the woods i got windfall apples by the truck load for FREE!!! Just gotta elbow grease it up, any ag has by product, much by product can be composted
What are your main composting items that really get the ecosystem booming?

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

I prefer having a pile of compost that chickens are allowed to scavenge through. I don't worry about what goes in. Meat, milk, paper towels....whatecer my kids don't eat. You should see my chickens devour a carcass. Strange that cousin Roo is their favorite meal although watermelon would give them second guesses
Oh yes yes yes,gotta love chicken shit,the poop doesn't smell good but the results when growing are astonishing

Snaggleroots

Snaggleroots

I would buy a microscope.They are your biggest soil building tool.I would look on youtube for tips or possible classes on using a scope and what to look for.

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

Michigan.Out.Of.Doors

I would buy a microscope.They are your biggest soil building tool.I would look on youtube for tips or possible classes on using a scope and what to look for.
I definently want too,but I'll have to save for a while they tend to be pricey lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom