I think I have a hermie…

• Thread starter Sensemilla
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sensemilla

Sensemilla

Hey!!

Hope everyone had a power weekend.

I’m still learning how to grow this plant and apologies if my question sounds silly, I’d appreciate any help.

I have a couple plants that I think have hermied. I had a couple power outages (government related) during my lights on period. I was also running 2 flowering tents at one time and had to open up both tents for a week (maybe more) because the weather was ridiculously hot and the temps inside the tent were pushing 34’C. Opening up the tents up helped get the temps down to 27’C.

I also started noticing some leaves were tacoing, especially on the untopped plants that were taller than the ones I topped (I was experimenting on the two methods to see the difference). I thought maybe my light intensity was a bit much so I turned them down from 600w to 200w. I’m thinking maybe the strain doesn’t like too much intense light 🤷‍♂️ or possibly magnesium deficiency but then I would see a bit of yellowing between leaf veins or is that wrong for me to assume? I was running my lights at 600w in a 2.3m 1.5m. I was told by the guy at the horticultural shop to crank up the lights in flower.

I also found one or two nanners on one of the plants in my one flower tent and as soon as I noticed them I realised, I could have a problem. I thought I’d let them finish off as they were in week 7 and wanted to finish the flush so I could at least have something to smoke 😆.

In my other tent, I first started noticing the tips of the pistols change colour in week 4 and progressed as the weeks went on. I’m now in week 6 of flower and I’m pretty sure, judging by the pics that they have turned. Im thinking I chop and salvage what I can or just start over.

This strain is super frosty and would like to run it again to see the difference. I’m pretty sure they hermied due to stress related issues but how would one know if it’s a genetic trait of the plant. I’m guessing if I run them again and do my best to control the power/light situation I faced in the last grow I would be able to see?

A little more information.

I’m growing in coco/perlite mix.
I water 2x per day morning then 10 hours later.
I feed at PH 6.0-6.2
EC 1.8
Water temp 23’C
Temp: Day - 27-28’C, Night - 20-22’C
RH: 45-55%
Thanks so much for any advice 🙏🙏

I think i have a hermie
I think i have a hermie 2
I think i have a hermie 3
I think i have a hermie 4
I think i have a hermie 5
I think i have a hermie 6
I think i have a hermie 7
B

Bdubs

Look at the Calyx’s at the lower parts of the plant. Are they flat/squashed? If so, early sign.

Premature Browning of the pistils is a sign of pollination.

If new growth is yellow, double check it isn’t a banana. Typically sacks will form at the base of growth at the main stems, where new shoots like to grow from. Bananas protrude from the bud sites. But I am not ruling out sacks in the bud sites.

After week 6 drop temps to low 70s if possible. She is way too hot at 80-82 without CO2 in plethora. Those new growths popping out is because the temps are high and she is still growing vigorously.

It is possible that prolonged temps or a heat wave would cause her to herm. Especially at 34 degrees C. That is enough heat to herm her quickly.

I have seen first hand hermaphrodite from temps reaching 90. Even for just a day or two and it will cook her alive and herm. At that temperature, I am sure your soil temps were off the charts too.

Hermaphrodite is a combination of stresses at the same time. 2 or more typically. The plant needs to feel she cannot make it to be pollinated by another plant so she does it for herself. And if she thought she wouldn’t make it, she will save herself.

Early harvested cannabis, especially at the 6 week time frame, you will have bud that will give you a migraine and the high will only last 2 hours. I harvested a 6 week hermaphrodite plant and she found the trash real fast.

B

Bdubs

Soil temps above 75 would be your second stressor that could have pushed her, if she is hermed. Not only is the top side hot, she noticed her root zone warming up exponentially.

At 93 degrees and 55 RH, you are at 2.38VPD. Stomata is closed all the way up and she no longer transpires. She will retain water and not drink or eat. Basically starving and dehydrating herself. She needs VPD of 1.5 maximum in flower.

Take a look at your leaf stems. They are super thinned out. Potassium toxicity can cause this. If you have a lockout of it, she isn’t eating properly on top of stomata closure and transpiration stops. Lots of info but I hope it helps.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Soil temps above 75 would be your second stressor that could have pushed her, if she is hermed. Not only is the top side hot, she noticed her root zone warming up exponentially.

At 93 degrees and 55 RH, you are at 2.38VPD. Stomata is closed all the way up and she no longer transpires. She will retain water and not drink or eat. Basically starving and dehydrating herself. She needs VPD of 1.5 maximum in flower.

Take a look at your leaf stems. They are super thinned out. Potassium toxicity can cause this. If you have a lockout of it, she isn’t eating properly on top of stomata closure and transpiration stops. Lots of info but I hope it helps.
93 is HOT, I hate VPD but it is representative of the water a plant must uptake to maintain the transpiration rate of the leaves, so this girl is getting pushed HARD, would not be surprised at all by nanners.

Sensemilla

Sensemilla

93 is HOT, I hate VPD but it is representative of the water a plant must uptake to maintain the transpiration rate of the leaves, so this girl is getting pushed HARD, would not be surprised at all by nanners.
Look at the Calyx’s at the lower parts of the plant. Are they flat/squashed? If so, early sign.

If new growth is yellow, double check it isn’t a banana. Typically sacks will form at the base of growth at the main stems, where new shoots like to grow from. Bananas protrude from the bud sites. But I am not ruling out sacks in the bud sites.

After week 6 drop temps to low 70s if possible. She is way too hot at 80-82 without CO2 in plethora. Those new growths popping out is because the temps are high and she is still growing vigorously.

It is possible that prolonged temps or a heat wave would cause her to herm. Especially at 34 degrees C. That is enough heat to herm her quickly.

I have seen first hand hermaphrodite from temps reaching 90. Even for just a day or two and it will cook her alive and herm. At that temperature, I am sure your soil temps were off the charts too.

Hermaphrodite is a combination of stresses at the same time. 2 or more typically. The plant needs to feel she cannot make it to be pollinated by another plant so she does it for herself. And if she thought she wouldn’t make it, she will save herself.

Early harvested cannabis, especially at the 6 week time frame, you will have bud that will give you a migraine and the high will only last 2 hours. I harvested a 6 week hermaphrodite plant and she found the trash real fast.
Awesome. Thanks so much for the detailed response. I chopped her and will run her another round and drop my light intensity as I found that that was also picking up the temps a bit.

Sensemilla

Sensemilla

Didn’t find and balls but a couple days after this post I started seeing nanners 😢. Next round I’ll try run her with less light and drop my potassium nutes because I was pushing it a little. Thanks again for your response

Sensemilla

Sensemilla

Thank you for your reply homie. I appreciate the support on this forum as always

S

SnoopingAsUsualI

does not look like hermie, I mean they all have trichomes and if they were hermies - you'd find the "bananas" below the buds, like at the edge of the main stem and the branches

Sensemilla

Sensemilla

does not look like hermie, I mean they all have trichomes and if they were hermies - you'd find the "bananas" below the buds, like at the edge of the main stem and the branches
A couple days after I posted this I found the nanners. I’m sure it was caused by the heat wave I went through or possibly pollinated

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
A couple days after I posted this I found the nanners. I’m sure it was caused by the heat wave I went through or possibly pollinated
Nanners would be from stress and they instantly pollinate they don't have to wait to open up. It's the plants last ditch effort to reproduce which is its main goal in life

Top Bottom