I Think I'm Doing The Curing Process Wrong

• Thread starter travism000
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

travism000

Hey so, second grow and I suspect I'm curing wrong. I wait for plants to get amber trichomes, chop whatever is amber to my liking, then I hang in this little closet in my grow room, kept at 75-81 degrees with humidity at 48%-54%. So I leave it for 5 or 6 days and then they lose that wet feel and I can bend them without them snapping. I throw it in jars 2/3rd full after dry trimming. I toss my digital hygrometer. Here is where I am confused. Everyone says that my RH should be 60-70% and it should increase when kept closed. My hygrometer says it is 53% or 54% and it never increases. I thought that you open your jars to lower the humidity once a day, but opening doesn't appear to have any affect after an hour on humidity. Am I misunderstanding or is my hygrometer not workijng?

Dan789

Dan789

So Travis, the overall humidity inside the jars may not change, but the concept is to bring the internal moisture to the surface of the bud where it can then be evaporated via, my favorite a paper bag. My process once you get them off the stems, is jars, then bags, then jars to check moisture level, when you get them to the 62% level then they're ready for longer term storage, without possible mold problems.
As far as the hygrometer working or not back that up with some of the colored dots on paper that change color at different humidity levels. Hope this helps.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I hang branches with only fan leaves removed,
I go 60 degrees at 60%rh for 14 days complete darkness.
throw them in a 5 gal bucket with a good seal lid..
In and out till I dont feel them getting moist anymore,
for the most part 3 days to a week is all..
then I bag it up and throw it in the bottom drawer of the fridge till congestion....

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

It sounds like they're too dry your hygrometer should read closer to 70 when they go in jars. Like 67-68 is better. Then burp until about 61-62. Like was said above once it's too dry the curing is done.

T

travism000

That's odd considering this happens after 5-6 days of drying in 50% humidity. So I should be jarring them sooner, which would be counterproductive because I'll be trying to prolong the drying?

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

That's odd considering this happens after 5-6 days of drying in 50% humidity. So I should be jarring them sooner, which would be counterproductive because I'll be trying to prolong the drying?
no u should dry them slower.. If you cant raise the rh to 60 then hang the plant whole to slow the drying process... It will help it retain the smell and taste qualities....

Leew421

Leew421

You should check the leaf stems and not the bud stems. The leaf stems are the key to a good dry out. If they snap it's time, if they bend you need to wait.

Top Bottom