I wanna buy a grow box - Which of these is best??

• Thread starter motojonas
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

motojonas

So I'm looking to buy a prebuilt grow cabinet and I found these 3 possible ones on ebay

574219589453.png

This one looks somewhat alright but the description doesnt say much - It says 24" tall but doesnt say how wide or deep it is, or anything about the fans or lights really - just that theyr'e 100 eqv cfls....so im guessing it has like three 23 or 27 watters..... Price is 229 on ebay

Number 2 the nug box

Main%201.jpg

Main%202.jpg

This one has more info on the auction - its 36x20x15, has three 55 watt fluoros, so 165watts and a 130Cfm fan and timer. Im not sure if the lowryder has a timer it doesnt say on the auction. This one has what looks like a decent manual too, but it is made of cardboard so idunno.its alot bigger though . Price is 239.00

And number 3 the one fifty

150.jpg

This one looks the nicest but its shorter than the nug box its 28 x 16 x 23 so its 8 inches shorter but wider. It has a 150w hps which has more lumens than the nug box - it doesnt sayhow many. Only thing is i kinda doubt it runs very cool with an hps in that small a box... itried one years ago in a crappy ass box i made and it got way too hot... says the fan blows 80 cfm.. i dont think it would stay cool. Its also the most expensive.. Would be like $390 with shipping... I think it might be over my budget - It says you can grow up to over half a pound in it - but i don't believa that...

Right now im kinda leaning towards the nug box .. looks like it has the most growing potential to price ratio... What one would you guys recommend?

convex

convex

Have you considered a small grow tent and a real lamp?

Cheers

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

remember its not about size, its about light
more light=bigger yeild
that being said i like number three
cheaper and more light? cant go wrong
are any of these vented? gunna have to cut a hole in the side if they arent

M

motojonas

Thanks for the input fellas- Thought of makin my own, but i dont have tools, and im no good with em either.... Jagle-- what would it cost to build a box like one of these? Could you gibe me a breakdown just for shits n giggles?

Anyway, thought of a tent, but thats bigger than I wanna go for my first grow. Plus the money... 75 at least for the tent... hps ballast..bulb...hood....powerful fan...timer... extras... and were takin over $400 bucks... and I don't really want such a big setup..COnvex

N yeah they're all vented.. number 2 has the highest power fan

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

kinda did a budget in my head real quick and your $400 number is probally pretty legit
props to you for planning ahead i see success in you future
dont see alot of first timers laying out the numbers like this

the thing i like about building your own is its easier to invest in the future
the $400 you spend now will be spent on materials that can be used for years to come
with the ghetto little tent you got off ebay, ur guna be ready to throw that thing away after two runs

B

bonerface

Dude making something from scratch is way better then any of those. Cardboard box for a plant that has to be watered? That just sounds like an issue waiting to happen, at the end of the day its paper lol. Can you say Fire hazard?

I've seen lots of nice homemade rigged boxes. Im sure you could make the above work but it seems like such a waste. Find an old file cabinet, desk with drawers, dresser, the possibilities are endless. Grab a t5 and screw the cfls, grab cheap axial fans, and light proof it. The t5 will destroy those cfls and its money much better spent in my opp.

look for pics on google of others boxes. Its not too complicated and you will be much happier in the end. Check the walmart and target furniture sections they have crap like this all the time. Good luck

Top Bottom