I would like to help you if you are having DWC issues

• Thread starter theNedster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
theNedster

theNedster

I happened to quickly glance and see a few threads about DWC problems. I don't grow DWC anymore because my plants always fall over lol. But, I have done many a DWC run and wanted to offer what help I can to anyone having trouble. Here are a few basics I learned.

1. You cannot have too much air. Let me put it another way. You can't have too much air. Bubbles = success in the DWC game. I would say this is the leading cause of problems in DWC.
2. Don't mix too hot - 600 PPM's in DWC should get you big buds, even on a heavy feeder.
394E38F3-F286-4BD3-9388-A6F2EEFD9A53_4_5005_c.jpeg
Tweak if required.
3. Change the water often Don't just top off. Every week you should change the whole deal out. Get that scum out of the bottom.
4. Make sure you top off during the week so you don't have roots going dry at the top of the bucket as water evaporates.
5. Check your PH periodically during the week. If it shifts, your plant can't take up nutrients. Shoot for 6.2 - 6.5.
6. Flush a DWC at least 5-7 days.

Phill

Phill

Well put I’d like to add beneficial bacteria
Water temps need to be low plants best take up nutes in DWC at water temps around 68 and SCROG SCROG SCROG

theNedster

theNedster

Well put I’d like to add beneficial bacteria
Water temps need to be low plants best take up nutes in DWC at water temps around 68 and SCROG SCROG SCROG
You said it! Top heavy ladies lean hard!

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I double scrogged for the first time, worked pretty well too. Never even had one bud fall over, also used silica to prevent that, and they were massive. My veg res also lasts 2 months before change, huge capacity so that helps.

Slinger

Slinger

I’m finishing a grow and I can’t believe how tall the plants got. They grew up past the lights.
I guess I let them veg too long. Because of this I’ve had to tie them up to keep from tipping over.
I was thinking maybe a bigger net pot would help. I think mine are 3.75”. Anybody use the 6” net pots that are built into the lid?

theNedster

theNedster

I’m finishing a grow and I can’t believe how tall the plants got. They grew up past the lights.
I guess I let them veg too long. Because of this I’ve had to tie them up to keep from tipping over.
I was thinking maybe a bigger net pot would help. I think mine are 3.75”. Anybody use the 6” net pots that are built into the lid?
Yes I always use those. But heavy buds may still topple. That's why I gave up on DWC for my own needs. I could only do it with a scrog, and it's impossible to move the buckets around and very difficult to change the solution unless you have it elevated with a drain.
Some strains really stretch too. I have found some reliable strains that basically give me a predictable stretch with my growing style. They basically double in height when flowered. I just did one clone that was a gift from a buddy and it was a lanky gal, shot way up about three times her height and I had to stick it in the corner. I believe it's s Sundae Driver cross.

Y

Yande

First post here. Second DWC grow. Quick question. Can I "recycle" my old nutrients? (Canna Flowers A+B) Would they have any beneficial effects if I pour them on our vegie and or flower gardens, diluted with H2O of course? Is it literally too good to be pouring down the drain?

Slinger

Slinger

I’m not familiar with Canna nutes but I pour my spent nutrients into my garden with no ill effects.

WhatsHeDoingToday

WhatsHeDoingToday

Im on my 3rd dwc grow and have learned a few things along the way. I drill 3 holes in my upper lip of the net backets in a triangle format then 3 holes that align with those in the net baskets but into the lids supporting the net baskets and use zipties to hold them tight to the lid. Pretty much anchors things down. Then I use a few yoyos on the main stalks of the plants to keep them positioned vertically as they grow. attacheing them with a velcro strip so it doesnt pinch the stalks... Then before you move to flower, lollipop the lower third and hang a scrog screen using 4 pulleys and when you go into flower the plants stretch and growth surges, I weave my highest protruding growth through my scrog screen as it grows each day just weave it along the screen horizontally. once it is weaved throughouly you can raise the scrog an inch at a time until the stretch has completed its growth burst. the buds will grow towards the light but will have support from the scrog and if they start to lean after that just use a yo yo with a velcro band and gently wrap is some what loosely around the stem to support the bud. Worked pretty well my last grow but it takes time so if you want a lazy grow with low maintenance then this may not be for you. But it did work well for me and was a lot of extra work...

Y

Yande

Hey all.
I wonder what those yellow things are for WhatsHeDoingToday?

My problem.
I have two different Haze varities within the one DWC system. Amnesia Haze (AH) and Hazy Jones (HJ). Never again will I mix strains.
As you can see the HJ (left) is struggling and has been for the past 53 days (and before actually) since I flipped the lights 300W LED around 19" on the HJ and 16 on the AH.
Humidity is through the roof @ around 80% and not much I know of can fix it easily and cheaply. Perhaps that is the problem, but only on one plant? La Nina down here. Temp stable at 26C - 78F
I have one air stone in the Res, there used to be two, but moved one into the HJ pot, so it now has 3 air stones and 2 in the AH Pot run from 2 different machines..

I've tried a number of remedies to perk it up, but it is not happy. Never has been.
I've added Epsom salts, Calmag both within the Res and as a foliar spray before lights off.
I regularly add H2O2 (Hydrigen Peroxide) to annul pathogens etc.
I did have a nute burn and still think I am feeding too heavily, using Canna Nutes A + B @ around 800PPM. PH 5.8 +- 1.
Going on my last grow (2 x Amnesia Haze), they have about 3 weeks left as they are notoriously slow in finishing.
Any thoughts anyone?
Thanks in Advance.

Hazes Jan 18 2022 IMG 6629

Hazy Jones Jan 18 2022 IMG 6632

WhatsHeDoingToday

WhatsHeDoingToday

yoyo's attach to zip ties at top of tent frame and support stems and keep plant from leaning to one side. Also, can be used along the rim of the pot to tie down plant for sativa that stretch to close to lights during flower stage. A scrog is helpful and in combination really allows you to control the taller strains, hazes, etc...that are sativa. Regarding your grow make sure you have ample amounts of light especially during flower and get the light closer down to the top of your canopy like 12" to 18" and ensure there are minimal light leaks during your dark period... I dont see the entire growspace so I cant really determine if your lighting is adequate. Maybe check on your roots to see how they are doing? Since you are attempting to go sterile, you may have some root rot taking hold. I'd check into going live with something like Hydroguard to help prevent the roots from getting root rot. Got any pics of the roots? Good luck with your grow...

wally

wally

I happened to quickly glance and see a few threads about DWC problems. I don't grow DWC anymore because my plants always fall over lol. But, I have done many a DWC run and wanted to offer what help I can to anyone having trouble. Here are a few basics I learned.

1. You cannot have too much air. Let me put it another way. You can't have too much air. Bubbles = success in the DWC game. I would say this is the leading cause of problems in DWC.
2. Don't mix too hot - 600 PPM's in DWC should get you big buds, even on a heavy feeder. View attachment 1197280Tweak if required.
3. Change the water often Don't just top off. Every week you should change the whole deal out. Get that scum out of the bottom.
4. Make sure you top off during the week so you don't have roots going dry at the top of the bucket as water evaporates.
5. Check your PH periodically during the week. If it shifts, your plant can't take up nutrients. Shoot for 6.2 - 6.5.
6. Flush a DWC at least 5-7 days.
Hi Nedster
Thank you for your post. Very good tips. It is a bit scary as it seems I could kill plants rather suddenly.
I have sourced some 3 in bulkhead fittings and 3 inch pipe, 13 gal res and 4 - 8 gal buckets. I want to do fallponics (pA hydroponics) and hopefully build for 300 or so. I grow in soil now and want to experiment with hydroponics. Looks like Canna Aqua would be a good nukes to use. Any other advice would be appreciated. I am in week 3 of flowering so it will be a few months before I have it built.
Thank you,

AeroponicApparatus

AeroponicApparatus

Hello fellow DWC growers(& former DWC growers)
I'd just like to join the conversation, and let everyone know what im running for informational purposes. Any input would be gladly appreciated. Currently I am 20 days from my germination(the day I wrapped them in a paper towel). I accidentally started a Photoperiod Fem (Pistachio) along side an Autoflower Fem(Mazar Dodgers). Both seem to be healthy at this point(pictures provided). The first week I ran my PPM @ 400-450. Now, being into my third week(& third water/nutrient exchange on the 2 gallon reservoir) I now run them at the manufacture suggested 33-50%, which I run 50%. I use Cutting Edge Solutions along with 100%Ozarka Distilled Water. Average temp of water is 69-74°F. Currently, the average PPM 840-900 with no signs of fowl play. My lights are two dual panel 60W at about 20 inches from my taller plant (The Autoflower). Lights are set to 18/6 due to the Pistachio not being an Autoflower. The PH flucuates from 5.8 to 7.0, I do my best to keep it around 5.8, but I cannot baby sit them all day, so it climbs to 6.8-7.0 before I supplement with Organic Distilled White Vinegar(I have two, two gallon tanks. I supplement & circulate, then lift the plants over to the supplemented tank). I repeat this process at least 3 times a day to keep the plants in a viable acidity. I have a Blue Lab automated PH Controllet on the way, so I can keep the PH at a constant 6.0 without worrying about them all day, that dose the plants with Cutting Edge Solutions PH Down product. Air is well circulated, and I sing the plants to bed every night 😄. Here are some shots. Thank you for reading, and any advice in advance!!
P.S. First grow ever, trying my best.
Mazar Auto (Top) Pisatchio (Bottom)

Last edited:
jokerdro

jokerdro

Hello fellow DWC growers(& former DWC growers)
I'd just like to join the conversation, and let everyone know what im running for informational purposes. Any input would be gladly appreciated. Currently I am 20 days from my germination(the day I wrapped them in a paper towel). I accidentally started a Photoperiod Fem (Pistachio) along side an Autoflower Fem(Mazar Dodgers). Both seem to be healthy at this point(pictures provided). The first week I ran my PPM @ 400-450. Now, being into my third week(& third water/nutrient exchange on the 2 gallon reservoir) I now run them at the manufacture suggested 33-50%, which I run 50%. I use Cutting Edge Solutions along with 100%Ozarka Distilled Water. Average temp of water is 69-74°F. Currently, the average PPM 840-900 with no signs of fowl play. My lights are two dual panel 60W at about 20 inches from my taller plant (The Autoflower). Lights are set to 18/6 due to the Pistachio not being an Autoflower. The PH flucuates from 5.8 to 7.0, I do my best to keep it around 5.8, but I cannot baby sit them all day, so it climbs to 6.8-7.0 before I supplement with Organic Distilled White Vinegar(I have two, two gallon tanks. I supplement & circulate, then lift the plants over to the supplemented tank). I repeat this process at least 3 times a day to keep the plants in a viable acidity. I have a Blue Lab automated PH Controllet on the way, so I can keep the PH at a constant 6.0 without worrying about them all day, that dose the plants with Cutting Edge Solutions PH Down product. Air is well circulated, and I sing the plants to bed every night 😄. Here are some shots. Thank you for reading, and any advice in advance!!
P.S. First grow ever, trying my best.
Mazar Auto (Top) Pisatchio (Bottom)
Hey sorry for the bump on an old post, but I'm looking for somebody that has experience with CES in DWC... I cannot find a good PPM , I'm mixing up nutrients to 80% (then diluting) and trying to shoot for around 500ppm for my plant that has just started producing 5 finger fan leaves... but It seems like It keeps locking out and my ph is fine, It shows signs of calcium and nitrogen deficiency so i'm just not sure... anyway you could list the ppm range you shoot for during the different stages of growth?? i'm using the whole line up with mag amp & plant amp

Top Bottom