I would recommend this be Sticky'd in all of the forums...

• Thread starter him
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Should this get stickied all over the damn place?

• I'm too high for this shit, i'll decide later...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
H

him

I know it should be posted in the security forum, but i know not everyone browses through all of the forums all the time, so i figured I'd put it here where I visit it most often.. I already use pretty much all of the tools listed on this article to stay "anonymous" when i'm online, and the burnnote messages are pretty cool :) , I hope its not against the rules to post links, but i would highly reccomend the mods/Admins make an exception and at the least post the links for guys/gals to get some of these programs, it makes the old school proxy tunnel look like a gradeschool trick.. so here is the link that lead me to the programs i didnt know about http://techland.time.com/2012/05/04/8-tools-for-the-online-privacy-paranoid/?iid=tl-main-mostpop1

and here are direct links to the ones i use/like I'll just copy the description for the programs and paste it under the link to them

Disconnect
Disconnect is a suite of free browser extensions that prevent third parties from following you around the web. You can download the Disconnect extension for Chrome, Firefox or Safari, or select from anti-tracking tools specifically for Facebook, Twitter or Google. Disconnect also offers an informational tool called Collusion for Chrome andFirefox , which reveals who’s tracking you online.
SafeShepherd

If you’re worried about showing up on people search websites such as Intelius and Radaris, SafeShepherd can wipe those databases clean. The free service removes records from services that don’t require a fax or snail mail request. A premium service, which performs more thorough records removal and includes a personal customer service representative, costs $14 per month.
When you want more security than your browser’s private sessions will allow, Cocoon goes even further. The Firefox browser add-on routes traffic through proxy servers, thereby protecting the user from tracking cookies, spam and viruses. Cocoon also offers a standalone iPhone and iPad browser . The free version includes advertisements, but you can make them go away for $5 per month.

http://hotspotshield.com/
HotSpot Shield

HotspotShield is a virtual private network , which provides anonymous browsing, malware protection and secure connections to websites. As the name suggests, it’s ideal for connecting to unsecured Wi-Fi hotspots, especially if you need to send financial information or make an online payment. The desktop software has a free, ad-supported version, while the iOS version (Android coming soon) costs $1 per month after a 7-day trial. (Here’s a tip: If you want to completely remove HotspotShield or any VPN service from the iPhone, you must go to Settings, then General, then Profile, and remove the VPN profile listed there.)
Tor
https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en
More than just a product, Tor is a system for staying anonymous online. On desktops, you can use the Tor Browser Bundle , which bounces communications through network relays that make you untraceable. There’s also a Tor-capable iPhone and iPad browser called Onion Browser and an Android app called Orbot . (With Orbot, you must also download Firefox for Android and the Proxy Mobile add-on . Rooted phone users can also use Orbot to make all data transmissions anonymous, even from other apps.) The downside of Tor is that it can be slower than other services, but it’s a good self-contained way to stay completely anonymous.
And my Favorite BurnNote..
https://burnnote.com/#/
Just because you’re being cautious about privacy doesn’t mean other people are.
Burn Note
allows you to send self-destructing messages–such as passwords you’d like to share–so you don’t have to worry about them lingering in someone else’s e-mail inbox. It’s not the only self-destructing message service, but it has the most comprehensive
privacy policy
I’ve seen.
With burn note, you can send an email to any email address, and set atimer so the note/email automatically deletes itself after however much time you want it to..and once its gone its gone..you can also set apassword on the already self destruct mesage that only you and the recipient knows, so even if someone manages to hack into their email they still wont be able to access the message...

anyways, Like i said i know this should probably go in the "security" section, but i know more people will see it if i post it in here..mods/Admins if I were you I'd Make a sticky with this info on the front page.. these are some very useful tools :)

B

bckwht

Anyone else using these? I'm not super tech savvy myself so how difficult will it be to set these up?

H

him

theyre all actually pretty easy to use, TOR and Cocoon both only work with firefox or internet explorer, but still are awesome programs :),

B

bckwht

i will def check them out! ive been looking for an easier way to stay discreet on the net with all the new info shit going on (not new i guess)

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz would reccommend you get a grip. Paranoia will destroy ya.

Resinable

Resinable

So if you wanted just to use one of these pieces of software or one security scheme that provides a high level of security from a trusted source (and also one that did not make surfing super slow) what would you all recommend?

Or conversely what would be a good group of two or three security programs to employ that would work synergistically?

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Tor would be a great place to start, even just to support privacy principals in general. Nothing paranoid about real threats, these are not delusions were talking about..

Unfortunately surfing speed will be affected, although depending on your setup, nowhere near as cumbersome as when they started it.

Top Bottom