Ice Box for A/C?

• Thread starter RMCG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sirsmokealot

i was air cooling 3 600's and tried using 2 6 inch Ice boxes and 1 8" ice box daisy chained together using a 8" vortex fan and a 1/2 hp chiller (outside of room) as a room ac and it could not keep my temps in check. Only other thing that created heat in room was deheuy...chiller ran non stop, my electric bill that month was over 1K and now I have 3 Ice boxes as big paper weights, luckily the hydro store let me test out the chiller so I was able to return it... I'll stick to normal AC's from now on...Three ice boxes cost me $400, the 1/2hp chiller would have been $500 i think, then you got the rez and pumps- $50...so $950 couldn't cool roughly 2500 watts. Now i got smart and bought a 2 ton window banger for $500 from HD and have 6 1K's in there, no problems.

R

RMCG

I'd like to find a 1/2HP chiller for 500$.

Sounds like it was undersized.

Were you running a remote res? what size?

Want to sell a 8" paper weight cheap? :mmm

M

Mystre.Pharmer

i was air cooling 3 600's and tried using 2 6 inch Ice boxes and 1 8" ice box daisy chained together using a 8" vortex fan and a 1/2 hp chiller (outside of room) as a room ac and it could not keep my temps in check. Only other thing that created heat in room was deheuy...chiller ran non stop, my electric bill that month was over 1K and now I have 3 Ice boxes as big paper weights, luckily the hydro store let me test out the chiller so I was able to return it... I'll stick to normal AC's from now on...Three ice boxes cost me $400, the 1/2hp chiller would have been $500 i think, then you got the rez and pumps- $50...so $950 couldn't cool roughly 2500 watts. Now i got smart and bought a 2 ton window banger for $500 from HD and have 6 1K's in there, no problems.

thats sucks! what brand chiller was it? you say the 1/2HP chiller couldnt cool roughly 2500 watts, your absolutely right! it cant. even a great quality one like the 1/2HP Arctica Commercial series titanium aquarium chiller wouldn't be able to, the size chiller is too small.

1/2HP 115V Arctica Chiller Specifications:
* Recommended aquarium size: 250 gal.
* BTU: 6,000 BTU/h
* Amps: 5.1
* Dimensions (WxDxH) : 21" x 14" x 15"
* Flow Rate: 480 - 800 gph
* Inlet / Outlet Size: 1"
* Weight: 55 lbs.

1,000 watts is about 3,600BTU of heat. that multiplied by your approx 2,500 watts: 3600x2.5= 9,000 BTU and a 1/2 HP Chiller is rated at 6,000 btu. so its obvious that scenario wouldn't of worked. When doing water cooling its important to take everything into account and take the extra time to figure out all the math. sorry it didn't work for you, i love the way my system works.

glad to hear its all worked out tho, a 2 ton window ac for $500 not bad.

I'd like to find a 1/2HP chiller for 500$.

Sounds like it was undersized.

Were you running a remote res? what size?

Want to sell a 8" paper weight cheap? :mmm

haha i thought the same thing when i read his post :) ill take em :)

-Mystre

F

fatman

Hey fatman. yes, i know an A/C dehumidifies as well. but that's a good description for people who don't know

lol is that paragraph a recommendation for me? I would never put a window A/C in a sealed room. lol. . that's silly. No it is you that is being silly dude. Have you seen my set up? Why would I wish to see your system dude, your mere descriptions allow be to form an evaluation. The evaluation does not idicate a quality system. you think saving $100 dollars is that big a deal when i spent as much as i did? Dude I really don't care if you like to waste monet buying and using sad products. and anyway one of my dehumidifiers cost under $100 dollars on sale (extra 20 i think otherwise, and its a good quality too, both are well built). I doubt that very much dude. And again what you use in your own sytems matter little to me, but no one else should be led to believe your system is a high quality system dude, as it is not. your saying I can get a GOOD QUALITY window A/C unit for $33.33 dollars! No I never said that dude. Are you mentally lame are just inventing lame arguments and grasphing at straws here. awesome! sign me up for one for my office. (to be fair though i think i paid $160 (at most) for my analog hydrofarm dehumidifier (when you buy as much as i did at once, you get a pretty awesome hydro store discount lol)Wow first $100m, now $160. That might explain how you pulled that $33 number out of your heini dude.
why go cheap on your cooling!? I would never pick up a cheapo window a/c (or any cheapo A/C) and depend on it for my crop. There is nothing cheapy abut it dude. Airconditioner are just not expensive. what about when it breaks? i can run cold city water through my iceboxes if something horrible happens to my chiller (heaven forbid!) I would just need to close some valves and open some others and tada! cold water and A/C without a chiller. Having back up fail safes is comforting when people depend on you. Dude air conditioners are not rocket ships. A fan will eventually burn out. That requires about 30 minutes to repair dude.

Since earlier you seemed to know how A/C works... the object of using water to cool is because: One, water is more efficient at extracting heat than air is. No water can hold more heat energy than an equivalent volume of air. It is mor costly in this situation y to move that water tham the volume of air needed to transport that same amount of thermal energy. With the air being cheaper to move in large volumes the chiller with a small extractor is lower in efficiency per cost to operate. Dude your using an chiller that is less efficient than a common window air conditioner already, the your lowering the efficiency even more by adding a secone even less efficient air to water radiator to transfer thermal energy. Ie your system is less efficient. Period. suchyou seem fairly intelligent so you should know that. I know you are wrong in your opinions dude. and secondly to have that water move the heat somewhere else more convenient. why would an A/C be more efficient for me? it would be WAY more inconvenient and would of been more expensive to replace or add another A/C to the house. Window air conditioners are simple and easy to install dude. You think I exhaust my heat into my house or something? Probably. Dude I said before I don't care what you do, I am merely saying it is not efficient as it is not efficient. I am simply letting others know there are better alternatives to your system for most applcations. i'm a little confused i think you might of read something wroung. Yes you do seem to be confused about a lot. and yes, My lights are MUCH closer to the plants than probably any air cooled persons set up is. my plants can touch the glass (they don't touch it though) and not be to hot! although they would get light burn from my 1k bulb lol. it's what running a perfect environment is all about. Wow, just using 1000 watt lights alone proves your susytem is far from a [erfect growing environment. It am nd allthe other sad choices also show t your system is not a an efficient system and obviously not a great set up orenironment.

things aren't always cut and dry. every situation is different maybe some people are stealthy, or some are located in a weird or small spot. not everyone is comfortable wiring stuff or putting things together themselves. they make products that have warranties and designed for specific functions for a reason. You beng real fuuny now!!!! but good idea, although i would never do it. ChillKing i think makes chillers that are converted window A/C units. Yes but they are grossly i over priv ced and lack things like a refrigerant chiller, a site glass a quality evaporator control valve and a head pressure controller. They are worth about 1/3 of their retailed costs.

LOL NOT "absurdly wasteful energy" you don't understand my set up fully, and that cool. I never really, even in my journals, explain/talk about what my basement is set up like or even what the door to my grow looks like for that matter lol. I own but i never take security lightly. I may be legal but it doesn't protect you from thieves. my set up is a lot more efficient than your thinking... i dont have to deal with the heat twice that would be moronic. like putting a big A/C unit in a basement to cool a room only to have to use the houses A/C to cool the basement A/C lol that makes no sense (u should put the bong down j/k hahahaha who am i kidding, pack another one ;) )

My system is awesome, and I love it. A sealed room isn't for everyone tho (nor is perpetual, which is what im trying now... its hard to have everything in order on time and rooted etc. etc.). it takes a lot of work to build and planning. I can get over 2 lbs a light and I still have room for improvement! and that's the truth :) (i still have nutrient things to dial in, i wanna switch brands here soon too) having perfect control over your environment makes it easier to grow a real quality product. people (including myself) depend on my buds for medicine, I want to be able to give em some good medicine.

lol when you actually start growing, you'll realize that spending an extra $200 bucks or whatever your trying to say i did, is worth the peace of mind! definitely. I use dehumidifiers to dehumidify, know why? its what they were designed to do, and i know they will do what they are supposed to. dealing with bud rot or powdery mildew isn't something I want to ever deal with. so spending a couple bucks ain't no thing when it keeps you from worrying.

My electric bill is just under $300 a month. that's with my grow, and a two bedroom 3 bath house. electric stove (and we cook ALL the time too AND bake a lot too!) T.v's, 1 desktop gaming pc (lotsa watts there) and a laptop, and a whole house A/C to boot. that's not bad in my opinion for growing ~2lbs a month AND 2 people living here. I give my meds out for a VERY ridiculously low reasonable price, and free if they can't afford it at the time. i'm not in this for the money. I love growing and smoking myself :)

lol this post got long lol oh well.

Happy Pharming!
-Mystre.Pharmer

Dude, you are funny. Not very bright but funny.
As far as stealth: what is it in a window airconditioner use that shouts out mj being grown here?

Converting an air conditioner to a quality chiller can be done by any appliance repair shop that works on air conditioners, refigerators and refrigerators. From inside or outside the converted air conditioner looks like an air conditioner. The only visible difference is that there are two pieces of tubing running into the converted air conditioner so that water can flow into and out of the heat exchanger. As i mentioned earlier, with ahead pressure controller added to contril the condebsor fan the unit can be used down to 41 below. There are thousnads of reef keepers using such set ups. IE shops really do not care why you want a chiller as long as they get paid. If they are strange and ask, say it is to cool a reef aquarium, pay by cash and use a persons name and address you do not like on the receipt. DUH!

M

Mystre.Pharmer

I ask if you seen my set up cuz you made some assumptions. its cool tho. no need to stop by. Your comment about pulling somthing out of my ass about the dehumidifiers, if you actually read it instead of looking for things to troll about you would know that I have TWO dehumidifiers and the BIGGER ONE actually cost me less than my analog dehumi, and i said both prices "to be fair"...

also your assumptions are based on the numbers i posted as the example... those are high estimates to be safe, its always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to controlling temps, my room doesn't run at those btu's that's the absolute over estimated max if everything was on at once, and on turbo (which that dehumidifier isn't on so that's even less)

also, cheap air conditioners and cheapo dehumidifiers break down all the time. but please lets not argue about it, i have tons of friends and family who regret buying cheap things like that because they either didn't do what they said they would or only lasted one summer.

I run a sealed room, obviously I'm going to use more electricity than a room that isn't a sealed environment. I have to get rid of all the heat while keeping it sealed and constant hardly fluctuating CO2. its the style room i grow in, and its going to create consistent results very easily. some of us are actually legal med card holders who need the benefits from this herb, I'm not always able to do everything so making things consistent and easy is better.

But the amount of cooking that happens here on an electric stove and oven and computer basically always on and a tv and a gaming system or two, regular house stuff for two people plus the air-conditioner to keep us cool not to mention my "inefficient" grow. Im happy paying a dispensary priced ounce (like 300? i dunno, haven't been in one) on electricity and have 2 lbs instead. (not to mention all that free electricity that came with it ;) ) and i get to give out meds to people who need them, thats pretty great too.

If they are strange and ask, say it is to cool a reef aquarium, pay by cash and use a persons name and address you do not like on the receipt. DUH!

and there you go, I bet that sums you up about right...

Dude, you are funny. Not very bright but funny.

glad you can peep some of the dry sarcastic humor. doesn't carry over in text very well usually ;)

Peace.

-Mystre.

S

sirsmokealot

i'm pretty sure it was an active aqua chiller, someone had returned the chiller, but it was basically brand new, still my hydro store couldn't sell it for a new price, hence the $500 price tag. I was using a 32 gal trash can wrapped with insulation, tried it inside and outside of the grow, all my 1/2" lines going to and coming from the IB's were insulated. I would be able to get the water down to 55-58 lights off then they would creep up over 70 lights on. I tried selling the IB's on craigslist about a year ago and they were so new i didn't get a single offer. I like the idea of water cooling, was just so much easier to get a big ac in my case...

M

Mystre.Pharmer

i'm pretty sure it was an active aqua chiller, someone had returned the chiller, but it was basically brand new, still my hydro store couldn't sell it for a new price, hence the $500 price tag. I tried selling the IB's on craigslist about a year ago and they were so new i didn't get a single offer. I like the idea of water cooling, was just so much easier to get a big ac in my case...

oh, that splains the price :) thats funny about craigslist, the IB's are pretty new still and not used too much. you still have em? :)

BTW how often would you say your a/c turns on?

-Mystre.Pharmer

S

sirsmokealot

Yeah the IB's have just been in storage for almost a year now. Not sure how often the ac actaully comes on, cause the fan part is always on, then the compressor cycles on when the temps come up. Will check on that next time i go by my spot.

F

fatman

I ask if you seen my set up cuz you made some assumptions. its cool tho. no need to stop by. Your comment about pulling somthing out of my ass about the dehumidifiers, if you actually read it instead of looking for things to troll about you would know that I have TWO dehumidifiers and the BIGGER ONE actually cost me less than my analog dehumi, and i said both prices "to be fair"...

also your assumptions are based on the numbers i posted as the example... those are high estimates to be safe, its always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to controlling temps, my room doesn't run at those btu's that's the absolute over estimated max if everything was on at once, and on turbo (which that dehumidifier isn't on so that's even less)

also, cheap air conditioners and cheapo dehumidifiers break down all the time. but please lets not argue about it, i have tons of friends and family who regret buying cheap things like that because they either didn't do what they said they would or only lasted one summer.

I run a sealed room, obviously I'm going to use more electricity than a room that isn't a sealed environment. I have to get rid of all the heat while keeping it sealed and constant hardly fluctuating CO2. its the style room i grow in, and its going to create consistent results very easily. some of us are actually legal med card holders who need the benefits from this herb, I'm not always able to do everything so making things consistent and easy is better.

But the amount of cooking that happens here on an electric stove and oven and computer basically always on and a tv and a gaming system or two, regular house stuff for two people plus the air-conditioner to keep us cool not to mention my "inefficient" grow. Im happy paying a dispensary priced ounce (like 300? i dunno, haven't been in one) on electricity and have 2 lbs instead. (not to mention all that free electricity that came with it ;) ) and i get to give out meds to people who need them, thats pretty great too.

and there you go, I bet that sums you up about right...

Darn you found out I have been using your user name to make equipment buys and bulk fertiler buys!!!!

glad you can peep some of the dry sarcastic humor. doesn't carry over in text very well usually ;)

Peace.

-Mystre.
Ba da, ba da boom.

R

RMCG

I think we now see why fatman gets banned from forums...
:punch

M

Mystre.Pharmer

hey fatman, i noticed in your profile it says you do Air Atomized Chamber Aero. do you use those Stainless steel ones? like the ones that have anti-drip features for high pressure? what kinda system do you do with em? I've been wishing there was good info on high pressure aero. journals never seem to be complete when people do HP Aero. oh yea, do you use a accumulator tank?

F

FileError404

Fatman, disputing that water cooling isn't more efficient than air cooling is hilarious...or retarded, take your pick.
We all like constructive critique because it helps us get better at growing but just spouting non sense and trying to start a fight is frowned upon on the farm... go play at RIU if you need an opponent...

M

mrdizzle

RMCG, I think you can do what your thinking with the 8inch, I would try for two 8inch IB though, maybe put one on the end, some ridged ducting to the other one with a fan pushing through them, I think so long as your hood as cool then there isnt much left for the chiller to take care of. If you can get a bigger chiller,try a 1/2hp, I dont think you will regret it, and it will probably end up costing you less in the long term. I know jbj ones are UL listed, I think they are the only non cmmerical ones

J

jerrybigbird

i built mine with a heater core from a chevy nova and a couple of coffee cans hooked the heater core to a water pump with garden hose, dropped the pump in an insulated cooler and i make ice blocks in my freezer. i wanted to chill the air coming into my lights (1000w x 2). the problem is the damn thing gets so cold it gets wet with condensation, so im afraid to put it before my lights cause i dont wanna suck cold water condensation onto hot lightbulbs....... any suggestions????

R

RMCG

Your water is too cold.

I think HI suggests keeping the water @ 65 (or atleast above dew point)

Water temp should be 10* lower than your ~desired~ air temp.

Why are you precooling the air in front of your lights? Where is that air coming from? The room or pulling it from somewhere else?

Why don't you want it on the end to negate the heat from the bulbs?

I would be nervous if its in front of the bulbs AND you are having condensation issues.

Can you snap a pic of your heater core setup?

B

Bobby Smith

Either his water is too cold or his humidity is too high.

BTW, I started a thread very similar to this one at another site a while ago and there's lotsa good info - anyone interested can PM me and I'll send you the link (not sure if it's kosher to paste it).

If it is, just lemme know and I'll plop the link down.

R

RMCG

Either his water is too cold or his humidity is too high.

BTW, I started a thread very similar to this one at another site a while ago and there's lotsa good info - anyone interested can PM me and I'll send you the link (not sure if it's kosher to paste it).

If it is, just lemme know and I'll plop the link down.

paste away.

If it doesn't get ***** out, I think you are safe.

Top Bottom