Ice Cold Water Flush?

• Thread starter Gamechanga12
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sugarbooger

Have to disagree with you on that. I know the function flushing performs. The only reason to flush is if the plants have been overfed. After two weeks of no feeding there are no nutrients left to process if this is done right (not overfed). There is no need to flush if you are using the correct amount of nutrients. The first 3 or 4 times I grow a strain ill flush by mixing enough water to soak media and still have a gallon of run thru, test the run off, poor it thru again and again until the ppm stops rising and compare that ppm to my nutrient schedule. Like I grow black widow a lot and am usually (always) feeding 1000 to 1200 ppm week 5-6 flower. If I flush and the ppm of the flush read 4000 or some shit I'd smh and adjust my nutrient profile the next grow accordingly, but if it's about 1000-1200ppm (usually pretty well below that) I'm good and wont feed but maybe half that if she shows deficiency in week 7 and 8 and then never phosphorus (a few ppm if necessary but not on the widow) because that's what makes the smoke harsh. I only feed about once a month adjusting the ppm to the size of plant, light watts, whether I'm running c02, plant health etc. I'm aware of what to many nutrients (especially phosphorus) do to the smoke, and to the time it takes to cure. Again I do flush on an unknown strain the first few times to get a handle on that particular strains nutrient intake. If the plant uses all the nutrients (and finishes breaking them down while curing) there is no need to flush. Not saying it's detrimental I just don't do it. That's just how I learned to do this from an absolute pro grower who I guess is in the .1% (I guess) of growers who don't flush. I'm no "New farmer" or smoker at that, and would bet my next three harvests that my organic (bottled/soiless, 1000w hid) buds don't have any, trace elements and damn sure no radioactive particles present. I'm 100% confident in that.
Nutrients are like food calories, the right amount is the right amount anything more and the plant stores it like we store fat (more calories doesn't translate into bigger muscles) They especially like to store phosphorus and is why over ferted product burns like a fucking road flare. So once I have a nute schedule tuned in she burns all the "calories" before I finish her, therefore no need to flush. I'm not saying anyone is wrong or doesn't finish a top notch product, I just know I do using this methodology with great success. I only harvest sweet sugary candy I guarantee it.

Midnite Tokr

Midnite Tokr

Have to disagree with you on that. I know the function flushing performs. The only reason to flush is if the plants have been overfed. After two weeks of no feeding there are no nutrients left to process if this is done right (not overfed). There is no need to flush if you are using the correct amount of nutrients. The first 3 or 4 times I grow a strain ill flush by mixing enough water to soak media and still have a gallon of run thru, test the run off, poor it thru again and again until the ppm stops rising and compare that ppm to my nutrient schedule. Like I grow black widow a lot and am usually (always) feeding 1000 to 1200 ppm week 5-6 flower. If I flush and the ppm of the flush read 4000 or some shit I'd smh and adjust my nutrient profile the next grow accordingly, but if it's about 1000-1200ppm (usually pretty well below that) I'm good and wont feed but maybe half that if she shows deficiency in week 7 and 8 and then never phosphorus (a few ppm if necessary but not on the widow) because that's what makes the smoke harsh. I only feed about once a month adjusting the ppm to the size of plant, light watts, whether I'm running c02, plant health etc. I'm aware of what to many nutrients (especially phosphorus) do to the smoke, and to the time it takes to cure. Again I do flush on an unknown strain the first few times to get a handle on that particular strains nutrient intake. If the plant uses all the nutrients (and finishes breaking them down while curing) there is no need to flush. Not saying it's detrimental I just don't do it. That's just how I learned to do this from an absolute pro grower who I guess is in the .1% (I guess) of growers who don't flush. I'm no "New farmer" or smoker at that, and would bet my next three harvests that my organic (bottled/soiless, 1000w hid) buds don't have any, trace elements and damn sure no radioactive particles present. I'm 100% confident in that.
Nutrients are like food calories, the right amount is the right amount anything more and the plant stores it like we store fat (more calories doesn't translate into bigger muscles) They especially like to store phosphorus and is why over ferted product burns like a fucking road flare. So once I have a nute schedule tuned in she burns all the "calories" before I finish her, therefore no need to flush. I'm not saying anyone is wrong or doesn't finish a top notch product, I just know I do using this methodology with great success. I only harvest sweet sugary candy I guarantee it.
Idk, I've done both, and will never not flush again. I've had the priveledge to sit with some old growers, (I'm no young buck either, been smoking 35+ years, growing 10, and have kids old enough to drink lmao) with combined growing experience if over 75 years, and got to compare our wares. There's made mine look PATHETIC since just one of these old growers has been growing religiously for past 40+ years, these gentlemen are serious about their grows, critiquing others grows and smoke, but very good at lending knowledge, and helping out. We discussed flushing dos and donts,, and other growing topics. Everyone said they flush. You can always tell a difference in the ash they say, as they pointed out subtle differences in the way all our buds burned. It was a humbling experience chilling with these grandpas of growing as they advection called themselves. They disagree over many, many things, as I quickly figured out, lmmfao..... Like EVERYTHING except when and how to harvest. On this they were very clear, after dark, no lights, proper flush. I guarantee these gentleman did not over feed their crops as well, as they run several hundred plants at a time, both veg and flower. These are the guys I long to turn into. Lmfao. Not saying your way is wrong, but I guarantee these grandpas would know the difference between flushed and unflushed weed within first hit or two. Also they told me if you ever want to grow for dispensaries, more and more places are requiring that you flush your weed, and now list ppm of trace elements present. They also restrict the use of certain nutes as well, and other additives, and require the solvent used to be listed and some other crazy crap, so that the "purest" medicine is produced. They said there is no point making cancer meds for example, that have carcinogenic substances or unhealthy trace elements in them, that could adversely effect people. I'm going off their knowledge, and my personnel taste when I flush, as unflushed weed, tastes like ass in my opinion. But as previously stated, if flushing did absolutely nothing unless you over fed your ladies, medical, commercial, and pro growers would not do it, period. It also wouldn't be required by state health boards with medical weed. Latest nutes to be banned by authorities for the use in medical marijuana are PGR's, commonly marketed as flower hardeners, and a product called Eagle-20. Tests have shown these are TOXIC when burnt, flushed, or non flushed, these are TOXIC and all weed grown with these nutes is going to be labeled unfit for human consumption. Any grower should stay on top of what states with medical marijuana are requiring growers to do, and not to do, and grow their crops accordingly, even if for their own use only. Once again, not knowing anyone's style, just stating some good for thought. These people covering their states medical marijuana don't just make regulations to make regulations they make regulations to prevent their patients with the purest cleanest product available. And for that reason following their guidelines as well in every grow is best interest in my opinion otherwise why grow it just go by the crap you can get from the corner dealer

S

Sugarbooger

I hear you man. I respect your knowledge and take it seriously. Where I'm at currently I don't have anyone with experience based knowledge to converse with and really miss it. I got a job in london working with a guy I knew when I was a kid and followed him to oregon, cali, and finally colorado, just gardening and had to move home to take care of a family member and this isn't talked about freely. I got on here to try to catch some seeds and decided to be social. Thanks for shooting your knowledge I've enjoyed it.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Everybody has their ideas about Flushing. I don't flush, I don't do 48 hours dark before chop. Why you ask? Because i'm one of those old hippies that's done all of the so called hippy science routines and i get to laugh at myself for all the dumb shit we did back then.
My feeds are never over 550 ppm or 1.1 ec. Never, even in full bloom ! Learn how to balance nutrient requirements to your plants needs and you'll see you don't need high amounts of nutrients to achieve good growth and yields.
I've been growing since 1971.

Midnite Tokr

Midnite Tokr

I hear you man. I respect your knowledge and take it seriously. Where I'm at currently I don't have anyone with experience based knowledge to converse with and really miss it. I got a job in london working with a guy I knew when I was a kid and followed him to oregon, cali, and finally colorado, just gardening and had to move home to take care of a family member and this isn't talked about freely. I got on here to try to catch some seeds and decided to be social. Thanks for shooting your knowledge I've enjoyed it.
I'm lucky enough to have gone to high school with a gentleman, Jesus, 20+ years ago......wow....anyways he moved to Colorado when the buzz began they were legalizing smoke and started at ground level growing, extracting etc. His father did, and still does grow here in my not smoke friendly state.... thru those 2 I'm lucky to have a network of knowledge that has gotten me pretty good. Not as good as these old heads, wait, older heads?? But I'm getting there. Also easy access to great genetics, and feminized seeds. Although those are easy enough to make once you have a lady growing you'd like female seeds from.

S

Sugarbooger

I'm lucky enough to have gone to high school with a gentleman, Jesus, 20+ years ago......wow....anyways he moved to Colorado when the buzz began they were legalizing smoke and started at ground level growing, extracting etc. His father did, and still does grow here in my not smoke friendly state.... thru those 2 I'm lucky to have a network of knowledge that has gotten me pretty good. Not as good as these old heads, wait, older heads?? But I'm getting there. Also easy access to great genetics, and feminized seeds. Although those are easy enough to make once you have a lady growing you'd like female seeds from.
Yeah man , I really really miss colly. I lived in a little place called evergreen when I was there, it was heaven on earth dude. Ill get back as soon as I can. Moving back to prohibition central was hard (although my skills are worth ALOT more :) I got really depressed for awhile and growing really raised me back up. It's a great thing. Yeah learning from the 'old guys' that are established in the industry put me on the fast track. My buddy sends me literature and shit all the time that is so so legit. Information that makes sense and actually does something to improve my work. Shit like compilations of nutrient profiles from pros for any strain you would want to grow. I researched for years before finally going to work with him and never had access to the kind of clear information and knowledge like I gained with him. It's almost like the industry keeps real information under wraps (I'm sure they do especially the fuckhead nute companies.) These forums are great and probably the best way for a new grower to learn and troubleshoot. There is always something new to learn and I feel like sharing knowledge is a responsibility in this brother/sisterhood. Especially for people like me and you who inhabit prohibition states. Happy 4/20 man.

Midnite Tokr

Midnite Tokr

Yeah man , I really really miss colly. I lived in a little place called evergreen when I was there, it was heaven on earth dude. Ill get back as soon as I can. Moving back to prohibition central was hard (although my skills are worth ALOT more :) I got really depressed for awhile and growing really raised me back up. It's a great thing. Yeah learning from the 'old guys' that are established in the industry put me on the fast track. My buddy sends me literature and shit all the time that is so so legit. Information that makes sense and actually does something to improve my work. Shit like compilations of nutrient profiles from pros for any strain you would want to grow. I researched for years before finally going to work with him and never had access to the kind of clear information and knowledge like I gained with him. It's almost like the industry keeps real information under wraps (I'm sure they do especially the fuckhead nute companies.) These forums are great and probably the best way for a new grower to learn and troubleshoot. There is always something new to learn and I feel like sharing knowledge is a responsibility in this brother/sisterhood. Especially for people like me and you who inhabit prohibition states. Happy 4/20 man.
Fuck yea brother, happy 4/20!! I harvested 80.4 grams last night to make some live resin today for the holiday. Orange cookie live resin. Mmmmmm mmmmmm gooooood. My state had medical weed, voting on rec weed soon. I'm trying to get into growing and processing here, got paperwork from state but we are the most expensive state to set up shop legally in. $10,000 to apply for a growers license, one licensed, you need to pay $200,000 for your permit. We have legal advocates trying to lower this, but idk if my state will. It's like they wanted to make it so god-awful expensive that nobody would attempt to do it. A dispensary license will cost you close to three-quarters of a million dollars in licenses and permits, any need to have proof that you have a million dollars sitting in the bank in disposable Revenue to even get a dispensary. They also require a full-time pharmacist and a full-time physician from the second your dispensary opens its doors to customers up until the minute it closes its doors to customers. Really really really difficult to do anything legitimately in my state at least until they get their heads out of their asses

S

Sugarbooger

Send me a job app when you get in man :) Capitalism is, always has been and always will be the obstacle. My state just burned a bunch of hemp because the thc levels were to high (not in a paper) which tells you the level of regulation where I'm at. I'd like to meet the ignorant fucks who thought it necessary to destroy a perfectly useful ag. crop because of that.

Devlin1242

Devlin1242

Nope, not at all. It's called cold water flushing, been doing it for years lol. Also, the periods of darkness before harvest is mostly a fluke. Studies on thc production in flowering cannabis shows thc levels/trich production barely affected by 24-48 hours dark. What does happen during this time is breakdown of chlorophyll, that's it, which your proper cure will do for you. Also, what this dark does is loosen up, fluff up your buds, making them less dense, and causing plant to stretch. If you were plant looks better after 24 to 48 hours of Darkness it is because it was suffering from too much light beforehand and needed a break. Cold water flushing is done by adding ice to your flush, or placing in fridge for an hour or so before use. Never heard of the bucket thing before. Seems counter productive as when ice melts, it will raise humidity in tent, something on last few weeks of flower, you certainly don't want.
Actually from experience it doesn't make buds fluffy. What makes buds fluffy is not cutting out water a week before harvest

RookieBC

RookieBC

Flushing is done if you over feed or not. What flushing does is removes all nutes and their associated salts from your grow media. This forces your plant to cannibalize itself for the NPK it needs to survive. What that does, is mellow out your smoke dramatically. Tests on non flushed buds habe shown traces of pretty nasty things you don't want in your body. Aside from nutrients being present, there was also radioactive particles found, although not sure their ppm, the ppm of the trace elements was significantly higher in non flushed bud. There is a reason 99.999% of pro growers flush their plants, and that's because it makes a big difference in burn ability, taste, smell, and smoothness. Weed ash shod be white, and fluffy. The herb should stay lit, and have an even, smooth burn. If your weed ash is heavy, dense, and anything but white like cigarette ash, what you are seeing is nutes, salts, and other varied nasties you didn't flush out. So helpful tip in life, and cannabis cultivation is watch your ash. Hahahaha
They did a scientific study in February and said everything you are talking about is not true even one bit they found nos difference in anybody those categories.

vegasweedman

vegasweedman

H

how long have you been following the grow boss?

C

Cocoindoors

They did a scientific study in February and said everything you are talking about is not true even one bit they found nos difference in anybody those categories.
I saw the video. It made me feel better about all the craziness behind the bro science. I will not flush and just maintain healthy plants thru harvest and dry and cure to scale.

josefrahl

josefrahl

The only flushing study I could find - https://www.rxgreentechnologies.com/rxgt_trials/flushing-trial/

Does a few things people say, but not all. Biggest 'broscience' is about taste and smooth smoke. I know there are a few more studies just on both, and all came out like this with unflushed cannabis being smoother smoke with better taste. It's never by an ungodly margin, but consistent. I'll look for the links on the others, and update if I find it.

I'd like to see other studies if anyone has a link. Definitely got me curious since there is no peer review I could find.

Mugwort

Mugwort

Seems like a waste of ice. Why over complicate an easy transition to harvest? Honestly lowering rh to 30% before cut for a day or two would be more beneficial imo. This causes the plant to pull everything from the roots and "die on the vine"
“Waste of ice”… dat is funny!

Mugwort

Mugwort

You went to schooo with Jesus and he grew mota? Holy shit!

XxTheWolfxX

XxTheWolfxX

There is no magic pixie dust when it comes to growing cannabis or any other plant. Your not unlocking some super secret hack by doing all the sadistic shit to your cannabis plant the last week or two to "shock" it into the fairy godmother. I've been growing since the 90s, I've heard and done it all, the quality of the end product has more to do with the first 85 percent of your grow, then the last week or two. The last week or two is when you want to back off light intensity to 50-60 percent and keep your LST below 75 degrees to protect the delicate and volatile terpines and cannabinoids. That's not to say that 1 out of a thousand plants might react a certain way to stress or shock in a favorable way, but generally any added stress or shock is not a good thing.

Top Bottom