Ideal temp co2?

• Thread starter sgt. schultz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

BBQ tanks run out much faster and the back and forth aggravation cancels out the hernia tanks. I think I get more then 20% at 81-82.

I like to keep my claims in the possible range as I have had to many people try CO2 and fuck it up, because they don`t have all essential elements under control. I do get more than 20% but I have been doing this for a little while and setting expectations when starting out is important. Just my view from selling to the average grower. When everything is spot on you can get 30 to 50% more with CO2 but most people will never see that. My BBQ tank is good for 10 days than time to change, can get the tanks anywhere and everyone has a BBQ.

Been growing awhile now but I just added a co2 generator. I feel pretty comfortable where I have everything set. 85* and 55 humidity with co2 set to 1000 ppm 900 on 1100 off. My plants are taller ..and a lot more full.. I've been supercropping to try and fight the stretch at 2 weeks into flower. No trellis this round.. Stakes and fishing line w/paper clip hooks :) fingers are crossed. I hope I got it dialed in right. I've read so many threads saying 80*-90* and 65-70 humidity for better co2 uptake. My ac units are UV equipped but I've had pm before and I don't want to fight that shit..

I have run high humidity with my CO2 but have been doing some serious reading on the effects of CO2 on plants and now I`m thinking 40 to 50% max and also closer to 90 in temp. Have not found enough to say yup that`s the way but enough for me to try it. I have always had great success running high RH 60 to 75% and 85 degrees. I`m still learning and some of the stuff goes over my head so got to re-read and smoke one and think about it.

One of the things that happens in a CO2 enriched room is the plants don`t form as many stomata on the bottom of the leaves. There are a number of other things that change but I`m just getting into that part. I would not change anything I`m doing unless I get more out of my plants so I`ll let you know how 1500ppm of CO2 and 40 to 50% RH works out for me. I`m doing my second run at the elevated temps to see if I can replicate the last run which was excellent.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I like to keep my claims in the possible range as I have had to many people try CO2 and fuck it up, because they don`t have all essential elements under control. I do get more than 20% but I have been doing this for a little while and setting expectations when starting out is important. Just my view from selling to the average grower. When everything is spot on you can get 30 to 50% more with CO2 but most people will never see that. My BBQ tank is good for 10 days than time to change, can get the tanks anywhere and everyone has a BBQ.

I have run high humidity with my CO2 but have been doing some serious reading on the effects of CO2 on plants and now I`m thinking 40 to 50% max and also closer to 90 in temp. Have not found enough to say yup that`s the way but enough for me to try it. I have always had great success running high RH 60 to 75% and 85 degrees. I`m still learning and some of the stuff goes over my head so got to re-read and smoke one and think about it.

One of the things that happens in a CO2 enriched room is the plants don`t form as many stomata on the bottom of the leaves. There are a number of other things that change but I`m just getting into that part. I would not change anything I`m doing unless I get more out of my plants so I`ll let you know how 1500ppm of CO2 and 40 to 50% RH works out for me. I`m doing my second run at the elevated temps to see if I can replicate the last run which was excellent.

Let us know how strong you run your nutes in that environment, to avoid burn.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I have never seen or read about any marijuana plant having weight gains going over 1200 ppm. For me I keep my ppms of nutes and co2 the same. JK

well you just heard it here, but here is the rub, my room size is 2700sf and I have one CO2 controller for the whole room, I want to make sure the other side of the room is getting the same as the rest of the room and yes I have air movement in the room but as soon as the controller senses 1200 ppm it shuts off, but the 1200 ppm is just around the controller not on the other side of the room, so to compensate and get all the room up to 1200+ ppm I run at 1500 ppm.

All plants have their sweet spot for CO2 but most C3 species can handle 1000 ppm + easy.

Let us know how strong you run your nutes in that environment, to avoid burn.

I run anywhere from 450 to 500 ppm when I flip and go as high as 750 to 800 than last 10 days 450. I also harvest about 1 week earlier than normal with CO2.

J

Jalisco Kid

Seeing for me is running controlled experiments more worthy is reading about it from a university study. Otherwise I would be hanging my plants upside down so the thc will flow into the buds. Or i would have stopped my floral spraying years ago. JK
Davis did a study on co2 enrichment. I am sure it could be googled.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Seeing for me is running controlled experiments more worthy is reading about it from a university study. Otherwise I would be hanging my plants upside down so the thc will flow into the buds. Or i would have stopped my floral spraying years ago. JK
Davis did a study on co2 enrichment. I am sure it could be googled.

The benefits of carbon dioxide supplementation on plant growth and production within the greenhouse environment have been well understood for many years.
Carbon dioxide (CO2) is an essential component of photosynthesis (also called carbon assimilation). Photosynthesis is a chemical process that uses light energy to convert CO2 and water into sugars in green plants. These sugars are then used for growth within the plant, through respiration. The difference between the rate of photosynthesis and the rate of respiration is the basis for dry-matter accumulation (growth) in the plant. In greenhouse production the aim of all growers is to increase dry-matter content and economically optimize crop yield. CO2 increases productivity through improved plant growth and vigour. Some ways in which productivity is increased by CO2 include earlier flowering, higher fruit yields, reduced bud abortion in roses, improved stem strength and flower size. Growers should regard CO2 as a nutrient.
For the majority of greenhouse crops, net photosynthesis increases as CO2 levels increase from 340–1,000 ppm (parts per million). Most crops show that for any given level of photosynthetically active radiation (PAR), increasing the CO2 level to 1,000 ppm will increase the photosynthesis by about 50% over ambient CO2 levels. For some crops the economics may not warrant supplementing to 1,000 ppm CO2 at low light levels. For others such as tulips, and Easter lilies, no response has been observed.
Carbon dioxide enters into the plant through the stomatal openings by the process of diffusion. Stomata are specialized cells located mainly on the underside of the leaves in the epidermal layer. The cells open and close allowing gas exchange to occur. The concentration of CO2 outside the leaf strongly influences the rate of CO2 uptake by the plant. The higher the CO2 concentration outside the leaf, the greater the uptake of CO2 by the plant. Light levels, leaf and ambient air temperatures, relative humidity, water stress and the CO2 and oxygen (O2) concentration in the air and the leaf, are many of the key factors that determine the opening and closing of the stomata.
Ambient CO2 level in outside air is about 340 ppm by volume. All plants grow well at this level but as CO2 levels are raised by 1,000 ppm photosynthesis increases proportionately resulting in more sugars and carbohydrates available for plant growth. Any actively growing crop in a tightly clad greenhouse with little or no ventilation can readily reduce the CO2 level during the day to as low as 200 ppm. The decrease in photosynthesis when CO2 level drops from 340 ppm to 200 ppm is similar to the increase when the CO2 levels are raised from 340 to about 1,300 ppm (Figure 1). As a rule of thumb, a drop in carbon dioxide levels below ambient has a stronger effect than supplementation above ambient.

Figure 1. The effect of carbon dioxide on net photosynthesis.
CO2
During particular times of the year in new greenhouses, and especially in double-glazed structures that have reduced air exchange rates, the carbon dioxide levels can easily drop below 340 ppm which has a significant negative effect on the crop. Ventilation during the day can raise the CO2 levels closer to ambient but never back to ambient levels of 340 ppm. Supplementation of CO2 is seen as the only method to overcome this deficiency and increasing the level above 340 ppm is beneficial for most crops. The level to which the CO2 concentration should be raised depends on the crop, light intensity, temperature, ventilation, stage of the crop growth and the economics of the crop. For most crops the saturation point will be reached at about 1,000–1,300 ppm under ideal circumstances. A lower level (800–1,000 ppm) is recommended for raising seedlings (tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers) as well as for lettuce production. Even lower levels (500–800 ppm) are recommended for African violets and some Gerbera varieties. Increased CO2 levels will shorten the growing period (5%–10%), improve crop quality and yield, as well as, increase leaf size and leaf thickness. The increase in yield of tomato, cucumber and pepper crops is a result of increased numbers and faster flowering per plant.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/00-077.htm#when

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

References, I have about 300 more if you like and I also have reports from the big players and Universities and governments bla bla bla

If you have not tried it, learn about it, than try.

By the way my upside down tomatoes did very well this year no CO2 added.

Upside down patio garden planter 7506

Berry, J. and Bjorkman, O. 1980. Photosynthetic response and adaptation to temperature in higher plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 31: 491-543.

Cowling, S.A. and Sykes, M.T. 1999. Physiological significance of low atmospheric CO2 for plant-climate interactions. Quaternary Research 52: 237-242.
Fritschi, F.B., Boote, K.J., Sollenberger, L.E., Allen, Jr. L.H. and Sinclair, T.R. 1999. Carbon dioxide and temperature effects on forage establishment: photosynthesis and biomass production. Global Change Biology 5: 441-453.
Greer, D.H., Laing, W.A., Campbell, B.D. and Halligan, E.A. 2000. The effect of perturbations in temperature and photon flux density on the growth and photosynthetic responses of five pasture species. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 27: 301-310.
Idso, K.E. and Idso, S.B. 1994. Plant responses to atmospheric CO2 enrichment in the face of environmental constraints: A review of the past 10 years’ research. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 69: 153-203.
Lilley, J.M., Bolger, T.P. and Gifford, R.M. 2001. Productivity of Trifolium subterraneum and Phalaris aquatica under warmer, higher CO2 conditions. New Phytologist 150: 371-383.
Long, S.P. 1991. Modification of the response of photosynthetic productivity to rising temperature by atmospheric CO2concentrations: Has its importance been underestimated? Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 729-739.
McMurtrie, R.E. and Wang, Y.-P. 1993. Mathematical models of the photosynthetic response of tree stands to rising CO2 concentrations and temperatures. Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 1-13.
McMurtrie, R.E., Comins, H.N., Kirschbaum, M.U.F. and Wang, Y.-P. 1992. Modifying existing forest growth models to take account of effects of elevated CO2. Australian Journal of Botany 40: 657-677.
Morgan, J.A., LeCain, D.R., Mosier, A.R. and Milchunas, D.G. 2001. Elevated CO2 enhances water relations and productivity and affects gas exchange in C3 and C4 grasses of the Colorado shortgrass steppe. Global Change Biology7: 451-466.
Norton, L.R., Firbank, L.G., Gray, A.J. and Watkinson, A.R. 1999. Responses to elevated temperature and CO2 in the perennial grass Agrostis curtisii in relation to population origin. Functional Ecology 13: 29-37.
Stuhlfauth, T. and Fock, H.P. 1990. Effect of whole season CO2 enrichment on the cultivation of a medicinal plant,Digitalis lanata. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 164: 168-173.

http://www.co2science.org/subject/g/summaries/temp+co2grass.php

ttystikk

ttystikk

I wanna run a room full of tipsy turvy pot plants with vertical bulbs... and supplemental CO². Maybe we can get the THC to run downhill into the buds... lol

Seriously, the idea intrigues...

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

I think you will be very happy with the results at around 85, I use BBQ tanks 20 lb much easier to handle. Been doing CO2 for 13 years and and love the stuff. Just stop it in the last 10 days of flower, this will help with bringing back more sent and flavor to your buds.

AS Tyy pointed out above VDP is important but it also changes when using CO2, the above chart is for normal CO2 concentrations of 400+-.

Check out some of my posts and you will see what CO2 can do when used right, my yield has gone up an easy 20% over no CO2. I stop using CO2 in the summer as it's to hot to use it so my yield goes down. I do grow some big trees and the combo of CO2 and RDWC can't be beat.

Can't load pix right now.....

Yo Woody. I also want to add that the 20lb bbq tanks in my area are around $25 to refill. The mega heavy tanks are $36. Funds are tight. If I didn't have strong brother I'd probaly be on the bbq tanks too. I'm hovering at 84* and looking good. Thanks bro.

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

Been growing awhile now but I just added a co2 generator. I feel pretty comfortable where I have everything set. 85* and 55 humidity with co2 set to 1000 ppm 900 on 1100 off. My plants are taller ..and a lot more full.. I've been supercropping to try and fight the stretch at 2 weeks into flower. No trellis this round.. Stakes and fishing line w/paper clip hooks :) fingers are crossed. I hope I got it dialed in right. I've read so many threads saying 80*-90* and 65-70 humidity for better co2 uptake. My ac units are UV equipped but I've had pm before and I don't want to fight that shit..

Thanks for sharing your experience. Good luck.

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

References, I have about 300 more if you like and I also have reports from the big players and Universities and governments bla bla bla

If you have not tried it, learn about it, than try.

By the way my upside down tomatoes did very well this year no CO2 added.

View attachment 345955

Berry, J. and Bjorkman, O. 1980. Photosynthetic response and adaptation to temperature in higher plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 31: 491-543.
Cowling, S.A. and Sykes, M.T. 1999. Physiological significance of low atmospheric CO2 for plant-climate interactions. Quaternary Research 52: 237-242.
Fritschi, F.B., Boote, K.J., Sollenberger, L.E., Allen, Jr. L.H. and Sinclair, T.R. 1999. Carbon dioxide and temperature effects on forage establishment: photosynthesis and biomass production. Global Change Biology 5: 441-453.
Greer, D.H., Laing, W.A., Campbell, B.D. and Halligan, E.A. 2000. The effect of perturbations in temperature and photon flux density on the growth and photosynthetic responses of five pasture species. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 27: 301-310.
Idso, K.E. and Idso, S.B. 1994. Plant responses to atmospheric CO2 enrichment in the face of environmental constraints: A review of the past 10 years’ research. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 69: 153-203.
Lilley, J.M., Bolger, T.P. and Gifford, R.M. 2001. Productivity of Trifolium subterraneum and Phalaris aquatica under warmer, higher CO2 conditions. New Phytologist 150: 371-383.
Long, S.P. 1991. Modification of the response of photosynthetic productivity to rising temperature by atmospheric CO2concentrations: Has its importance been underestimated? Plant, Cell and Environment 14: 729-739.
McMurtrie, R.E. and Wang, Y.-P. 1993. Mathematical models of the photosynthetic response of tree stands to rising CO2 concentrations and temperatures. Plant, Cell and Environment 16: 1-13.
McMurtrie, R.E., Comins, H.N., Kirschbaum, M.U.F. and Wang, Y.-P. 1992. Modifying existing forest growth models to take account of effects of elevated CO2. Australian Journal of Botany 40: 657-677.
Morgan, J.A., LeCain, D.R., Mosier, A.R. and Milchunas, D.G. 2001. Elevated CO2 enhances water relations and productivity and affects gas exchange in C3 and C4 grasses of the Colorado shortgrass steppe. Global Change Biology7: 451-466.
Norton, L.R., Firbank, L.G., Gray, A.J. and Watkinson, A.R. 1999. Responses to elevated temperature and CO2 in the perennial grass Agrostis curtisii in relation to population origin. Functional Ecology 13: 29-37.
Stuhlfauth, T. and Fock, H.P. 1990. Effect of whole season CO2 enrichment on the cultivation of a medicinal plant,Digitalis lanata. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 164: 168-173.

http://www.co2science.org/subject/g/summaries/temp co2grass.php

Not sure what that means but if those are your tomatoes they look killer. I'm into heirlooms right now. Peace.

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

I wanna run a room full of tipsy turvy pot plants with vertical bulbs... and supplemental CO². Maybe we can get the THC to run downhill into the buds... lol

Already been done. Check out the $64 tomato.

J

Jalisco Kid

The benefits of carbon dioxide supplementation on plant growth and production within the greenhouse environment have been well understood for many years.
Carbon dioxide (CO2)is an essential component of photosynthesis (also called carbon assimilation). Photosynthesis is a chemical process that uses light energy to convert CO2 and water into sugars in green plants. These sugars are then used for growth within the plant, through respiration. The difference between the rate of photosynthesis and the rate of respiration is the basis for dry-matter accumulation (growth) in the plant. In greenhouse production the aim of all growers is to increase dry-matter content and economically optimize crop yield. CO2increases productivity through improved plant growth and vigour. Some ways in which productivity is increased by CO2 include earlier flowering, higher fruit yields, reduced bud abortion in roses, improved stem strength and flower size. Growers should regard CO2 as a nutrient.
For the majority of greenhouse crops, net photosynthesis increases as CO2levels increase from 340–1,000 ppm (parts per million). Most crops show that for any given level of photosynthetically active radiation (PAR), increasing the CO2level to 1,000 ppm will increase the photosynthesis by about 50% over ambient CO2levels. For some crops the economics may not warrant supplementing to 1,000 ppm CO2at low light levels. For others such as tulips, and Easter lilies, no response has been observed.
Carbon dioxide enters into the plant through the stomatal openings by the process of diffusion. Stomata are specialized cells located mainly on the underside of the leaves in the epidermal layer. The cells open and close allowing gas exchange to occur. The concentration of CO2outside the leaf strongly influences the rate of CO2uptake by the plant. The higher the CO2 concentration outside the leaf, the greater the uptake of CO2 by the plant. Light levels, leaf and ambient air temperatures, relative humidity, water stress and the CO2and oxygen (O2) concentration in the air and the leaf, are many of the key factors that determine the opening and closing of the stomata.
Ambient CO2level in outside air is about 340 ppm by volume. All plants grow well at this level but as CO2levels are raised by 1,000 ppm photosynthesis increases proportionately resulting in more sugars and carbohydrates available for plant growth. Any actively growing crop in a tightly clad greenhouse with little or no ventilation can readily reduce the CO2level during the day to as low as 200 ppm. The decrease in photosynthesis when CO2level drops from 340 ppm to 200 ppm is similar to the increase when the CO2levels are raised from 340 to about 1,300 ppm (Figure 1). As a rule of thumb, a drop in carbon dioxide levels below ambient has a stronger effect than supplementation above ambient.

The Studies I use show going over 1050 ppm a waste. The one you posted shows it topping off before 1200 ppm. And yet you want to run 1500 ppm. That's a 25-30% waste. I do not worry about the money of buying or making co2. More work just sucks. JK

Figure 1.The effect of carbon dioxide on net photosynthesis.
During particular times of the year in new greenhouses, and especially in double-glazed structures that have reduced air exchange rates, the carbon dioxide levels can easily drop below 340 ppm which has a significant negative effect on the crop. Ventilation during the day can raise the CO2 levels closer to ambient but never back to ambient levels of 340 ppm. Supplementation of CO2is seen as the only method to overcome this deficiency and increasing the level above 340 ppm is beneficial for most crops. The level to which the CO2concentration should be raised depends on the crop, light intensity, temperature, ventilation, stage of the crop growth and the economics of the crop. For most crops the saturation point will be reached at about 1,000–1,300 ppm under ideal circumstances. A lower level (800–1,000 ppm) is recommended for raising seedlings (tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers) as well as for lettuce production. Even lower levels (500–800 ppm) are recommended for African violets and some Gerbera varieties. Increased CO2 levels will shorten the growing period (5%–10%), improve crop quality and yield, as well as, increase leaf size and leaf thickness. The increase in yield of tomato, cucumber and pepper crops is a result of increased numbers and faster flowering per plant.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/00-077.htm#when

J

Jalisco Kid

My post I have tried to add 4 times to the above quote on chrome.
I use a study that shows benefits topping out at 1050 ppm. Your paper you posted here shows it before 1200 ppm. yet you want to go 1500 ppm. The guy is carrying co2 and you think it is ok to waste 25-30%. JK

squiggly

squiggly

Some (most) plants can tell which direction they are facing. They have particles in sensing cells which are affected by gravity and tell them which way is up. Transport happens as a result of the surface tension of water--gravity does not aid this process much, if at all, because the whole of the inside of the plant is pressurized.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Some (most) plants can tell which direction they are facing. They have particles in sensing cells which are affected by gravity and tell them which way is up. Transport happens as a result of the surface tension of water--gravity does not aid this process much, if at all, because the whole of the inside of the plant is pressurized.

All of this is true, yet the idea of a group of hanging plants interspersed with hanging bulbs strikes me as potentially very efficient, just from a use of space standpoint.

Jboys3

Jboys3

Unless someone can tell me using too much CO2 is harming my production and output I guess I will keep my CO2 level from 1300 to around 1600 ppm. I am really not wasting any money as my Natural Gas bill barely makes my minimum usuage hook-up fee per month in my sealed room.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

My post I have tried to add 4 times to the above quote on chrome.
I use a study that shows benefits topping out at 1050 ppm. Your paper you posted here shows it before 1200 ppm. yet you want to go 1500 ppm. The guy is carrying co2 and you think it is ok to waste 25-30%. JK

My co2 sensor can only be 6 feet away from my controller my room is 15x20x9 so no matter where I put it some part of the room is never going to get up to 1200 ppm because of the proximity to the generator, so to be sure I have 1200 at a minimum I run higher. Plants that get too much co2 show signs of necrosis on the leaves or stop feeding. I have not run into that. Knowing what signs to look for allows me do use CO2 to my full advantage. Nothing wrong with running Co2 at 700, 900, 1000 or 1200 and anywhere in between, but to say it does not work?

Too much CO2 is bad for the plants. Too high CO2 level lowers plants' transpiration during photosynthesis: without or with less transpiration less nutritive solution is drawn threw the plant, thus less food enters the plant and growth slows down. Under too high CO2 level, necrosis spots (dead tissue) appear on leaves that may also roll into themselves. These dead tissue spots are a great food for bacteria and molds. Too much of a good thing, again, turns out bad results like a lower weighted yield per plant and a lower quality produce.

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

Waiting to see how that turns out.

Top Bottom