Ideas on getting rid of knats

• Thread starter All4freedumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
All4freedumb

All4freedumb

Wow, what a mess these little guys can be in a large UC grow. I finished off my grow, emptied everything, sprayed bleach and water everywhere kept rooms empty and dry for 2 weeks during rebuild and bombed and cleaned again. Now I brought in healthy girls and one week later "their back!" Wtf? Any luck in getting rid of these pest for good. I am not looking forward to these pests making a home in my girls roots. I have tried every product in my local hydro store. I'm about to do a swap between products every other day for a week. I've never had these little bastards stick around like this. What secrets do you have?:thinkin:hunter:

G

GeneticFreak

1. Completely cover your net pot.
2. You could put rockwool chunks in the net pots on top of the hydroton.
3. Misquito dunks in the room.
There's 3 things that kill those bastards. I don't have em in my uc but those are the ways I would try dealing with them. I use h2o2 and if memory serves me correct that kills root zone bugs.

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

Thanks for the quick reply. I have done 1 and 3, I have not tried putting chunks of rockwool on top. Would I make toxic chunks? Haha. Or would that be more like the potato trick trying to lure them and then remove the chunks? I do use h2o2 weekly .. thanks again..

G

GeneticFreak

You could add some tree n shrub. U don't wanna keep the rw wet for too long. I would just cover the pots with it and see what hapens. RW by itself does something to kill them. I think it sufficates them. At any rate they can't live in it so it makes a good option.

hiboy

hiboy

Its gnats..
and the best way to handle them without spraying is
go to home depot or similiar
grab them sticky papers and fold them in a triangle or circle around ur base stalk. when they enter or leave the medium they are done
h

philly kush

philly kush

I cant stand those lil bastards! If u take a small bowl fill it with vinegar n soapy water set it on floor n the knats will go in the bowl just change it once a week it works 4me.goodluck

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Azadirachtin kills the shit out of them. Gnats in hydroton? Make sure its not root aphids.

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

Its gnats..
and the best way to handle them without spraying is
go to home depot or similiar
grab them sticky papers and fold them in a triangle or circle around ur base stalk. when they enter or leave the medium they are done
h

Haha.. its funny you were the first one to say something. I noticed it when I came back on the farm a few hours later but I couldn't change it.. Thanks for the correction.

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

h2o2 will do nothing at all to gnats.. nothing. I tried dunks.. didn't work. So you have to look at the biology of these little bastards. They grow in moist environments, not in water. They lay eggs in the medium which have to move out of the medium to mature and then they lay eggs in the medium again.

The best way I found to get rid of these guys permenantly..

Put up the yellow sticky traps, put them in front of something dark will increase there effectiveness.

Put a nice coating of DE on the top of all your containers.

When they try to crawl out or crawl into the pots the DE is extremely fine and will cut them to death...which is awesome .

You can also do an axamax srpay combined with the above.

B

brncow

Would you not have to pour mosquito dunk water through the netpots to get the gnat fungus where they stay?

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

Would you not have to pour mosquito dunk water through the netpots to get the gnat fungus where they stay?

Yes, you would. I am hand watering everything off my tables. I will kill these bastards before they see the UC. I think I might of nailed these bastards. Let's wait a week and see. I continued with dunks in my water, I hit my girls with tree and shrub and bombed. I will continue treatment of my feeding water every 3 days switching products each time. I also pulled all girls from their hydroton and gave the roots and cubes a good rinse and treatment. I let the cubes dry out and treated again and replanted into the net pots. Wish my girls luck..

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

h2o2 will do nothing at all to gnats.. nothing. I tried dunks.. didn't work. So you have to look at the biology of these little bastards. They grow in moist environments, not in water. They lay eggs in the medium which have to move out of the medium to mature and then they lay eggs in the medium again.

The best way I found to get rid of these guys permenantly..

Put up the yellow sticky traps, put them in front of something dark will increase there effectiveness.

Put a nice coating of DE on the top of all your containers.

When they try to crawl out or crawl into the pots the DE is extremely fine and will cut them to death...which is awesome .

You can also do an axamax srpay combined with the above.[/QUO
Great reply, thank you.. It's true h2o2 does nothing bit feed those punks.. Axamax is one of the products I am switching between. DE huh? Gotta try this..

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

yeah Dude, Dichotomous earth (sp?) is the shit!! Its cheap to. An $8 bag will last you like a year.

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

just make sure you wear a dust mask when using DE... it is really fine and can really mess up your lungs if you inhale it...

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

Mallet hands down kills gnats and aphids. Used is once and had both pest never saw them again and they were bad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom