Identification/eradication of flying insect in greenhouse environment

• Thread starter cctt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cctt

These fliers don't seem to be hurting my plants, but big swarms are very annoying and stick to anything sticky. I'd like to be rid of them. This is in a greenhouse with an aquaponic system, however, so I'm limited to fish-safe solutions. I wonder if the aquaponic system is actually why they're there in the first place - as it's essentially a water-based composter that may be feeding them. Can anyone ID these or suggest how to kill them?
Greenhousebug1
Greenhousebug2

vaporedout

vaporedout

mosquitoes?? it sounds humid enough and they like water

put up sticky tape and see how many you can get in a day!!

C

cctt

They're smaller than mosquitos. The most distinctive characteristic in my opinion is the hairy-looking antennae. There is water but it's not standing. My experiments with sticky traps tell me they're not very attracted to the paper. It's easy enough to find a swarm and swing the paper through and catch several, but it really does nothing for control.

vaporedout

vaporedout

go to the dollar store and get sticky strips, little round things that you unroll, then just hang em from the ceiling, in a few days your bound to catch some. good luck

C

cctt

There will be plenty of sticky surfaces in that space soon enough. Catching them that way is what I'm trying to avoid.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

Do you think something like MicrobeLift would help stop them in the larval stage in your aqua system?

Anything you put in the air is gonna settle in your fish, correct?

If so, you gotta look at whatever wont kill them. ..

No way to cover the rez's...fume it out, and then uncover them again?...just thinking.

As much as it looks like a mosquito....what about a mosquito magnet?... They produce CO2 as an attractant. Organic as hell with no bad shit for the fishes. :) And you get the CO2 for the girls....hooray.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Be very extremely careful dosing CO2 in an enclosed area with fish. The water column can, and will, be just as exposed and because of the gas exchange you can get the water column too saturated with CO2 and may experience a die-off. That's not to say it can't be done, but be careful.

People who are into the freshwater planted systems dose CO2, but they're very careful and precise in how they go about it.

So, since this is a full-on aquaponic system (MAN am I envious! I so miss fishrooms, you have no idea... errr... maybe you do), then I'm going to suggest simply observing these bugs and if there is no damage, then let them be.

Btw, yesterday I spoke with a gal at Peaceful Valley who asked me to send in bug ID photos, because she's a bug ID enthusiast. So if you're not able to get a firm identification on your own, you might want to call them up and ask for the gal who likes to ID mystery bugs.

C

cctt

I'm having a difficult time determining where they're breeding but I think the aquaponic grow bed is the most likely place. I've been adding mosquito dunks (bti) to that water, but so far have not seen results. I'm not experienced with MicrobeLift but will look into it - thanks.

Yes - anything in the air will be damn near impossible to keep away from my fish, which is why this is so difficult. Otherwise I bet a pyrethrum fogger would knock many out quickly.

I'm tempted to call them flies or gnats of some kind based on their size and habits. They just like to come fly around in swarms whenever the sun goes behind a cloud. As far as I can tell they're not attracted to CO2, or they'd be attracted to me when I sit nearby. They also ignore any bright sticky pads I hang for them. Perhaps the pictures don't give much sense of scale, but these are a bit smaller than fungus gnats, and the ones pictured are as big as I ever see.

I wouldn't worry about them except I can picture how much of a pain in the ass they'd be to trim out of a harvest. And outdoor flowering time is approaching quickly.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It may be easier to block their access to the plants on an individual basis rather than trying to kill them and risk killing off other animals. I'm thinking fine netting such as tulle draped over the buds.

Do you find them in and around the plants?

C

cctt

I find them flying in swarms in certain pockets of air - I'm not sure how they choose it, but always in similar spaces all over the greenhouse. I see them crawling on plants and on the hydroton-based aquaponic growbed/biofilter. There are a lot so they're kind of everywhere. Netting off the plants is an interesting idea. It may block some of their light, though, and make it a bit more difficult for me to work in there, but I will consider it.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

MicrobeLift is dunks on sooper steroids. I think a pint or so treats like 20,000 gallons of water.

Its BTi , but the spore count is off the chart.

I got mine at Ace hardware. Its made for ponds.

Maybe check with Koi pond suppliers? They would prolly have something that works that wont kill the fishes.

C

cctt

Well, I've now tried mosquito dunks, MicrobeLift, Cap's foliar pack, and high levels of CO2. Nothing seems to have worked. But at least the fish are still alive.

Top Bottom