Identify this pest plus fungus gnat advice.

• Thread starter Sanji
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sanji

A thin layer over all of the soil, not thick but enough so the fly would have to touch it to get into the soil to lay their eggs. I have even heard people mixing with their soil before they start, but not sure what ratio of DE to use mixed in soil. Just stick with it for a week, yellow sticky traps and soil care, eventually they will vanish, BUT most of the Fungus gnats I get come from the bags of soil I buy so it happens again and again. They don't really do any damage if you get them before it is out of hand, but you do need to keep combating them when you see them show up. And people thought growing weed was easy 🥲
Oh man dont even get me started, my grow was going so well, I was so proud of how it was coming along and then my plants randomly started showing symptoms of something, at first I thought nutrient burn, then lockout due to pH, deficiencies, but no it's these little flying bustards, so sort of is suffering from deficiencies due to them I assume,
All of this right in the middle of flower the most crucial time lol.

GrnMtnGrowR

GrnMtnGrowR

Oh man dont even get me started, my grow was going so well, I was so proud of how it was coming along and then my plants randomly started showing symptoms of something, at first I thought nutrient burn, then lockout due to pH, deficiencies, but no it's these little flying bustards, so sort of is suffering from deficiencies due to them I assume,
All of this right in the middle of flower the most crucial time lol.
I don't think that the gnats do anything to your plants, all they want to do is lay eggs in the moist soil and make more gnats, the gnat eggs hatch into larvae and they feed on the little roots near the top of your soil....they really don't cause any noticeable damage to the plant unless you were to get a catastrophic number of those larvae. They are a major annoyance and tend to make you crazy, but just battle them as everyone has suggested. The Lost Coast Plant Therapy is kind of expensive but its a concentrate so you get a lot of use from a small bottle and it has many uses beyond eliminating fungus gnats. Google it and read about it....good stuff!

S

Sanji

I don't think that the gnats do anything to your plants, all they want to do is lay eggs in the moist soil and make more gnats, the gnat eggs hatch into larvae and they feed on the little roots near the top of your soil....they really don't cause any noticeable damage to the plant unless you were to get a catastrophic number of those larvae. They are a major annoyance and tend to make you crazy, but just battle them as everyone has suggested. The Lost Coast Plant Therapy is kind of expensive but its a concentrate so you get a lot of use from a small bottle and it has many uses beyond eliminating fungus gnats. Google it and read about it....good stuff!
Well based on research I have done the larvae will feed on the root hairs which #1 stress the plant and #2 decrease the plants ability to absorb nutrient.

Yeah I looked into that stuff it's around $75 to get here lol

S

Sanji

One other thing, should I be concerned about the diatomaceous earth getting blown around and onto the buds?

GrnMtnGrowR

GrnMtnGrowR

One other thing, should I be concerned about the diatomaceous earth getting blown around and onto the buds?
I think you would need a major infestation of larvae before it would stress your plants, they are only in the top 1" of the moist soil at best, so I wouldn't worry too much about what you read about stressing your plants....I've never seen any sign of that happening to my plants, but I don't let the fungus gnats get really bad.
Sprinkle the DE powder onto the dirt with a spoon and you shouldn't get much dust blowing around....I would make sure all your fans are off when doing it.

GrnMtnGrowR

GrnMtnGrowR

Well based on research I have done the larvae will feed on the root hairs which #1 stress the plant and #2 decrease the plants ability to absorb nutrient.

Yeah I looked into that stuff it's around $75 to get here lol
There website still shows that they give a free sample bottle, don't wait get one coming to ya. (Link) Lost Coast Plant Therapy free sample

S

Sanji

There website still shows that they give a free sample bottle, don't wait get one coming to ya. (Link) Lost Coast Plant Therapy free sample
Woke up to my plants looking like this, am I going to lose them before they finish? Honestly I'm at a loss here I can't work out the problem, if it's not being caused by the gnats then I don't know, I've done ph checks on soil and run off they were perfect, I've done flushes and reduced the nutrient doses dramatically, I have been letting the soil dry properly before watering, I have given the plant calmag, soil fed and foliar fed,

My guess was the gnats were causing my issue but I don't even know anymore, really having trouble getting this under check and it's getting worse by the day.
20220306 121908
20220306 121917

20220306 123006
20220306 122958

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Woke up to my plants looking like this, am I going to lose them before they finish? Honestly I'm at a loss here I can't work out the problem, if it's not being caused by the gnats then I don't know, I've done ph checks on soil and run off they were perfect, I've done flushes and reduced the nutrient doses dramatically, I have been letting the soil dry properly before watering, I have given the plant calmag, soil fed and foliar fed,

My guess was the gnats were causing my issue but I don't even know anymore, really having trouble getting this under check and it's getting worse by the day.View attachment 1223229View attachment 1223230

View attachment 1223235View attachment 1223236
that’s not from gnats.. though deal with them if you have them.. that to me looks like a nitrogen deficiency.. as your in flower and with doing flushes etc, you have stressed the plant and have caused a delayed uptake issue, just relax try to leave the plant alone while getting it back in track with proper nutrient feeding until the end..
this may help..
picture.. if growing with soil or soilless mediums than feed what’s needed 4/5 days before..
7488D31B 169E 41E7 9027 634A9E24A485

S

Sanji

that’s not from gnats.. though deal with them if you have them.. that to me looks like a nitrogen deficiency.. as your in flower and with doing flushes etc, you have stressed the plant and have caused a delayed uptake issue, just relax try to leave the plant alone while getting it back in track with proper nutrient feeding until the end..
this may help..
picture.. if growing with soil or soilless mediums than feed what’s needed 4/5 days before..View attachment 1223261
I have been feeding again, I just checked my soil ph again and it seems to be normal, kind of hard to read the soil slurry tests.

Latest posts

Top Bottom