identifying problems with leaf discoloration.

• Thread starter CINDARELLA99
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CINDARELLA99

CINDARELLA99

Hi everybody. I have noticed some leaf changes on two of my plants. I got a clone from a dispensary and the lower leaves looked like this. She's been in flower for 4 weeks and doing good,but recently I've been noticing another of my plants are starting to have the same discoloration. Here is a picture of the leaf. I sprayed for mites last week and been checking and no mites,the only thing I have done differently is add molasses to my nutes but none of my other plants are showing this.
Dies anyone know what this may be a result of?
Its just the few lea ed, the bud sites are okay.

Identifying problems with leaf discoloration
Identifying problems with leaf discoloration 2
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hmmm.... if it were upper leaves I might guess Ca-, but it looks different from that. This is something I've never seen before, but I would indeed guess an imbalance, deficiency, toxicity or uptake/utilization problem with nutrients.

Let me look at some charts real quick. Newp, no help there! Off to search some more.

Hm... possibly Cu-, imbalance or uptake issue?

CINDARELLA99

CINDARELLA99

Thank you for finding that information Seamaiden. That doesn't sound good at all. I am wondering if its from that Mighty Wash spray I did, it was about the same time,I cant remember for sure.......... I got a Northern Lights from a dispensary a month and a half ago that it had this same thing on it's bottom leaf, It grew Really nice and the discoloration stayed at the bottom so I didnt think much of it, but now another one of myplants is having this on Alot of it's leaves. The bud sites are Nice, getting nice and frosty, looks Great, but these leaves on the branches is causing me concern.
I'll check more on viruses too, Thank You for the help!

J

Jalisco Kid

Keep a log, stop guessing. Never bring a clone from a club into your room without a 6 week quarantine. Being at the bottom I doubt it is anything you sprayed. Those dime size buds for 4 weeks seem a bit small for a nl x but I am only familiar with #2 and #5. I have seen those yellowed veins on a plant that was fed 4.8pH ,the guy felt no need for a pen. JK

CINDARELLA99

CINDARELLA99

Hey Jalisco, Thank you, I do know this for next time, I was desperate at the time to get plants in my tent. This is my first grow and I was really was (still am) anxious. I haven't picked up any more clones yet, I have just made my own from the clippings, but the next piece of equipment I will get is a pen, I keep pushing it off since funds have been tight,but I've been learning from just about every question its always good to know the ph or the ppm's, The only thing that has changed besides the spray is I added molassed and Snowstorm ultra. But I only did 1/2
That picture isn't the northern lights , that picture is of a chocolope it's in it's 3rd week right now. It was doing Really well, until this leaf discoloration started happening. I did keep a log, while I was in vegging and then I dunno , I stopped doing it once I got in flower.I think what I'll do is restart it, from where I left off, I have the exact days and everything written on a calendar and I can also write down what I have learned from in this forum onto the journal, because I wanted to have some kind of refrence book. This is Awesome.Thanks for the advice!

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Its hard to help since you don't know the pH or EC of the nutrient solution you use, but when I use Snow Storm I always use a lower EC because it says to on the bottle lol. I think SSU has Triacontanol in it and its an organic PGR, growth stimulator, it helps plants uptake more nutrients.

I the discoloration showed up after you used SSU, it could be from a nutrient toxicity. Again, its very hard to say since you don't have info on the pH and EC of anything. Lets hope its not a viral infection, good luck.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The most difficult aspect for me in researching is that many of the instances I've found go back to interveinal chlorosis, an easy, and easily corrected nutrient deficiency (N or Mg). But the veins themselves yellowing? That's hard to find information on. Cindarella, since you're the one who's been observing the plants over time, I suggest hitting Google with just a description of the symptoms. I used 'plant lower leaves yellow veins.' I sift out the cannabis site hits, most folks are just guessing on those, and seek out the ag, .edu, .uni, etc type of sites. I want to know what the ag/horticulture world knows. That's how I got those hits. Sometimes I use Google Scholar and/or Scirius, but I can't say I always understand the papers I find!

CINDARELLA99

CINDARELLA99

Thanks you guys! I have been keeping an eye on the leaves and the discoloring is just on the branch leaves, it doesnt seem to affect the leaves at thebud sites. I am hoping it stays as it is and doesn't get any worse. The Northern lights that first had it, I plucked off the infected leaves that were at the bottom and I havent noticed any new discoloration. The leaves on the chocolope havent seemed to gotten any worse either, its just spread across the plant really quick, I sit and stare at my plants almost all day,lol it seems to have just happen over night. It happened REALLY quick, it wasn't like one or two leaf a day kind of thing. I have been googling as well as checking books like The grow bible and some other ones, even problem solving charts but nothing seems to have what I have. I thought it was from the mites, which is why I was spraying, butI dont think so, its only this plant. My other ones are doing really great *knocks on wood*

J

Jalisco Kid

Buy a Big10x magnifier and you will be able to see if anything is on your plant. I Have dropped mine many times,they are bulletproof. jK

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Buy a Big10x magnifier and you will be able to see if anything is on your plant. I Have dropped mine many times,they are bulletproof. jK

I've heard of jeweler loupes being 30-100x, but I haven't heard about a Big 10x magnifier.

Is this what you are talking about??

If you could take a quick look at the link and let me know if your talking about something similar to that, thanks.

CINDARELLA99

CINDARELLA99

I got a small little pocket scope recently that is a 60x, I feel much more better about my plants, I was bummed that the trichomes wernt "Bigtime" but when I saw it with the scope, I was like Alright! looks very nice, EXCEPT, I have found some threads, I cant see them, but when scanning the buds with the scope I see what looks like a hair, but its so thin, I have to use a tweezer and a scope to get them.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I got a small little pocket scope recently that is a 60x, I feel much more better about my plants, I was bummed that the trichomes wernt "Bigtime" but when I saw it with the scope, I was like Alright! looks very nice, EXCEPT, I have found some threads, I cant see them, but when scanning the buds with the scope I see what looks like a hair, but its so thin, I have to use a tweezer and a scope to get them.

I wouldn't worry about tiny hairs/threads in your buds, bugs would worry me though so if you ain't got those you should be fine bro.

J

Jalisco Kid

There are 2 catalogs at most hydro shops it is in the one that is not hydrofarm. I think I put a pic here of one.

squiggly

squiggly

I'm sorry to tell you, but if you have not applied any harsh chemicals or pesticides you have probably two possibilities here:

1. EXTREME salt buildup or pH imbalance. (In which case you should flush extremely heavily and probably treat with some enzymes to digest dead root tissue).

2. A viral infection. (I'm sad to say this is most likely and it looks like a textbook case according to my botanist friend)

If you're near harvest you might pull these ladies through but BE CAREFUL where you chop them at and what you chop them with. These girls and any material removed from them should be quarantined immediately. You need to up your hygiene with your tools, pots, and rooms IMMENSELY beginning now until you have a successful run with no signs of infection.

Good luck.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Squiggly, do you mean little hairs could mean an infection?? I thought it could of just been brought in from his clothes and got on the buds.

CINDARELLA99

CINDARELLA99

I think he means about the leaves discoloring. I have been checking up on plant viruses and it does seem , it looks like it from the leafs, I cghecked around for MJ plant problems and leaf discoloratioon and couldnt find anything.
I was worried about those little fibers thinking it may make my buds taste like burning hair. There isnt alot,just a few that I have found.
If its a virus, would that make the buds it produces no good? The bud sites seem okay. I just sprayed again with mighty wash last night before lights went off, woke up thismorning and it seems okay,I havent noticed any changes. I wiped down my grow tent last week whenI first dfound the mites.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh my God, mites too...? You sure you didn't pick those girls up in a red light district?
I'm sorry to tell you, but if you have not applied any harsh chemicals or pesticides you have probably two possibilities here:

1. EXTREME salt buildup or pH imbalance. (In which case you should flush extremely heavily and probably treat with some enzymes to digest dead root tissue).

2. A viral infection. (I'm sad to say this is most likely and it looks like a textbook case according to my botanist friend)

If you're near harvest you might pull these ladies through but BE CAREFUL where you chop them at and what you chop them with. These girls and any material removed from them should be quarantined immediately. You need to up your hygiene with your tools, pots, and rooms IMMENSELY beginning now until you have a successful run with no signs of infection.

Good luck.
I was concerned this may be the case. I was completely unable to find any other pics that showed exactly what's being depicted here that discussed anything other than viral infection. So, Cindarella should notify the dispensary where he got the clones, IMO, because that shit IS going to be vectored, and vectored all over the place. Whoever's got bugs has vectors in a big big way.

Now, Cindarella, onto vector control. Milk is one method, used to treat tools, etc. You also need to get a good quaternary ammonium compound, rubbing alcohol and bleach. Quats is used regularly in many industries, including hair/barbering, medical, manicuring, aquatics (net dip--imagine all the ich you could, and would, pass from tank to tank if you didn't use net dip), veterinary practices--anywhere that infection control is an absolute MUST. Physan 20 or similar is a quaternary ammonium compound. I'm going to attach a paper that discusses using milk as part of greenhouse tomato production IPM.

View attachment greenhouse_high_tunnel_tomato_diseases_11-03-09_handout.pdf
CINDARELLA99

CINDARELLA99

Thank you seamaiden. I appreciate the help. I will talk to the guys at the dispensary and let them know.
The plants are very close to eachother and I haven't seen it spreading to any of the others.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Since you don't know exactly what it is, we can't really discuss vector, expression, incubation, or anything like that. But I do recall lilmisslone saying that they'd dealt with what they finally determined to be barley streak virus (vectored by root aphids). Unfortunately, I believe/recall they had to trash the room.

Top Bottom