If one bud looks done, should I cut it?

• Thread starter Kidbuu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kidbuu

Kidbuu

Hi guys! This is what I'm hoping to be my last time asking for help, since I'm super close to harvesting my first ever grow.
I'm aiming for a perfect 70% dark 30% white pistils so I can get the most thc possible (head high).
The plant still has many white pistils, but one of the little heads looks more done than the rest. I was wondering if I should chop just that one or let the whole plant be ready.
This is the one:
Kinda done

Also, since I'm a beginner I've had some problems throughout the grow that I luckily managed to overcome. But this ended up in having a very tiny plant with buds that didn't fatten enough. Just take a look at the main cola, it's full of holes and quite skinny, it doesn't look like a solid fat piece:
(keep in mind that this is a very small cola)
20200701 103606
20200701 145844

So how long do you guys think I should wait? I don't think they're gonna be getting any fatter.
This are some of the other buds:
Not done 2
Not done

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Got a ways to go. When most of the white pistils turn dark then start checking the trichomes on the calyx not bud leaves to determine potency. You want to harvest when most of the trichomes are cloudy not clear.

Need microscope or jewelers loop.

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

nice looking first grow... Just what MIMedgrower said.....you probly could get high off it if dried slow but if it's a small plant then thats kinda a waste to pick a bud...but it's your plant man...dont let anyone on here stop you...but you will probly have regrets if you do so...my opinion

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

also...sometimes a bud gets touched or bumped wrong ect... and the pistils will darken...often they start sprouting new pistils because it's not done yet

Kidbuu

Kidbuu

Got a ways to go. When most of the white pistils turn dark then start checking the trichomes on the calyx not bud leaves to determine potency. You want to harvest when most of the trichomes are cloudy not clear.

Need microscope or jewelers loop.
If you think it's still growing then I'm happy :)
It's gonna be hard finding a magnifier right now, are there any other visual clues?
nice looking first grow... Just what MIMedgrower said.....you probly could get high off it if dried slow but if it's a small plant then thats kinda a waste to pick a bud...but it's your plant man...dont let anyone on here stop you...but you will probly have regrets if you do so...my opinion
Thanks! Alright I won't, I just thought it could be ready. I don't understand very well what you mean by being a waste because it's small though
also...sometimes a bud gets touched or bumped wrong ect... and the pistils will darken...often they start sprouting new pistils because it's not done yet
Yeah, I realized some days ago that lots of them got dark because of wind burn, but still they are all pretty much getting naturally dark so I got confused.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

It's gonna be hard finding a magnifier right now, are there any other visual clues?

Thanks! Alright I won't, I just thought it could be ready. I don't understand very well what you mean by being a waste because it's small though

Yeah, I realized some days ago that lots of them got dark because of wind burn, but still they are all pretty much getting naturally dark so I got confused.

if your cell phone has a zoom it can get you real close...your best off with X10 or better but mine goes X's 8 and it's a start...i can see with it

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

just that everytime i pick a bud early and smoke it i feel like i just wasted it(I don't understand very well what you mean by being a waste ) Your doing great 1st time out

Kidbuu

Kidbuu

if your cell phone has a zoom it can get you real close...your best off with X10 or better but mine goes X's 8 and it's a start...i can see with it
Prepare to laugh, mine is x4
just that everytime i pick a bud early and smoke it i feel like i just wasted it(I don't understand very well what you mean by being a waste ) Your doing great 1st time out
Oh I see, I thought you meant small as in size, not maturity. All clear now.

Since you guys are saying I still have a long way to go, should I keep adding phosphorus and potassium? Like once or twice till harvest? Last time I kinda heavily fed her because she was eating lots of her own leaves, until I saw one burnt leaf tip and I stopped.

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Prepare to laugh, mine is x4

Oh I see, I thought you meant small as in size, not maturity. All clear now.

Since you guys are saying I still have a long way to go, should I keep adding phosphorus and potassium? Like once or twice till harvest? Last time I kinda heavily fed her because she was eating lots of her own leaves, until I saw one burnt leaf tip and I stopped.
what week of flower are you again? and was it a type of indica or sativa....if i rember right it was a bag seed correct

Kidbuu

Kidbuu

what week of flower are you again? and was it a type of indica or sativa....if i rember right it was a bag seed correct
Jesus christ that's some memory, I'm jealous
Yeah I don't know what strain it is, it looks kinda sativa since leaves are not super fat.
It's an outdoors grow, but it's been 6 weeks approximately since she started growing heads (remember it's winter here).
This was taken may 21st:
20200521 104050

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Considering it's your first grow and you had some issues early on...this is just a gut feeling that I'm going to say just give her water and maybe very light nutes if you are going to give the newts I would do it now.. whenever the plants do for water but don't give it very much at all a third of a dose if that... Because I think it's probably only going to grow a little more... Not so much grow but fill out. But that also depends on the health of the plant... you probably have enough newts in the soil already but that's just a guess...I would rather under feed my plant than over feed it

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Considering it's your first grow and you had some issues early on...this is just a gut feeling that I'm going to say just give her water and maybe very light nutes if you are going to give the newts I would do it now.. whenever the plants do for water but don't give it very much at all a third of a dose if that... Because I think it's probably only going to grow a little more... Not so much grow but fill out. But that also depends on the health of the plant... you probably have enough newts in the soil already but that's just a guess...I would rather under feed my plant than over feed it
IMG 20200701 140948338
IMG 20200701 140934868

This plant here is a sativa dominant super silver Haze.. and she is a very light feeder every time I give her nutes... She gives me her middle finger.... So I barely feed her.. that's around week 4

Kidbuu

Kidbuu

Oh man I really hope it does fill out! I feed her with natural homemade stuff so my doses are impossible to compare to the commonly used ones, but I get what you mean. I'll just feed her a bit next time she needs water and then no more for the rest of her life.
*cute pics*
This plant here is a sativa dominant super silver Haze.. and she is a very light feeder every time I give her nutes... She gives me her middle finger.... So I barely feed her.. that's around week 4
That's beautiful! Yeah mine doesn't have such extremely thin leaves but it is sort of like that. I would say mine is like 60% sativa 40% indica, if that makes any sense.
Thanks for all the help man

Kidbuu

Kidbuu

Well this is the closest I can get! I think they're clear, maybe some are cloudy (zoom in on a calyx):
20200711 113715
20200711 113936
20200711 113942

This is a top view of the plant, she's getting rid of all leaves quite quickly:
20200711 115744

I highly depend on good sunny days and it looks like it's gonna be that way at least until next saturday. Do you guys think next weekend could be harvest time?

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Well this is the closest I can get! I think they're clear, maybe some are cloudy (zoom in on a calyx):
View attachment 998434View attachment 998435View attachment 998436

This is a top view of the plant, she's getting rid of all leaves quite quickly:
View attachment 998438
I highly depend on good sunny days and it looks like it's gonna be that way at least until next saturday. Do you guys think next weekend could be harvest time?
yes your going to be very close next weekend...probly 2 weeks away but there are so many variables when a plant has issues that the only real way to tell is the tri combs color which is hard to do if you dont have a way to magnify it...sometimes when you get unbalanced nutrients in the pot it makes them mature a little early but cuts yield in nearly half as i'm seeing with one of my troubled ladies right now..on pace to be done in 8 weeks for a 10 week strain average and getting less than 1/2 of what i expected based on previous grows.....hey man...YOUR GETTING BUDS on your 1st grow and even if it's not as good as you want it to be you accomplished something that many 1st timers fail at...if dried properly you will catch a buzz from that plant right now as it stands so another week would pobly be best....maybe 10 days is my best guess

Kidbuu

Kidbuu

yes your going to be very close next weekend...probly 2 weeks away but there are so many variables when a plant has issues that the only real way to tell is the tri combs color which is hard to do if you dont have a way to magnify it...sometimes when you get unbalanced nutrients in the pot it makes them mature a little early but cuts yield in nearly half as i'm seeing with one of my troubled ladies right now..on pace to be done in 8 weeks for a 10 week strain average and getting less than 1/2 of what i expected based on previous grows.....hey man...YOUR GETTING BUDS on your 1st grow and even if it's not as good as you want it to be you accomplished something that many 1st timers fail at...if dried properly you will catch a buzz from that plant right now as it stands so another week would pobly be best....maybe 10 days is my best guess
Great!!! I'll wait 10 days then. I'm not impatient, I just don't wanna get pure cbd.

Yeah I'm super happy man, I started this thinking my plant would die. When I get to the end I'd like to post the pics of my journey and stuff I've learnt somewhere if this forum has a space for that.

Kidbuu

Kidbuu

Well, tomorrow is the final day. I know she's not done but I haven't seen any change lately and weather won't help for a week so I'd rather take advantage of the new moon and harvest. She's tiny so I'm not sure yet if I'm gonna hang the entire plant upside down or cut some branches. Wish me luck!
20200720 104229

20200720 104242
20200720 104303
20200720 104305

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Kidbuu

Kidbuu

looks like shes pretty close....hope it works out for you
I didn't harvest yet because before doing it I got the idea to check the ideal time for harvest, so I decided to chop very early tomorrow.
I don't see you convinced. Do you think I should wait another month?
1 more week will do nothing with this weather, and after that I'll have lost the new moon.

By the way, trichomes appear to be mostly cloudy, very few are clear.

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

I didn't harvest yet because before doing it I got the idea to check the ideal time for harvest, so I decided to chop very early tomorrow.
I don't see you convinced. Do you think I should wait another month?
1 more week will do nothing with this weather, and after that I'll have lost the new moon.

By the way, trichomes appear to be mostly cloudy, very few are clear.
i think you will be good...only real way to tell is magnification but your in that time frame now and she looks like she will do the job...just remember to slow dry it makes a world of difference

Top Bottom