Illinois MMJ

• Thread starter farmersteve
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

farmersteve

I haven't heard much about the pending MMJ legislation in Illinois lately. While I'm sure nothing will happen until after the election, does anybody have any insight as to whether we're close here?

Disguised

Disguised

This bill went to rules committee, which pretty much means it is probably not going to happen. I think the consensus is pretty much that the politicians have nothing to gain by passing the bill, so they are just not going to do it. Here is good post on this, from way back in May.

THIS BILL IS DEAD.

You can follow it's life here: Bill Status of SB1381

Why is it dead? Because, like i said above that it would end up Rules Committee, it is indeed in Rules Committee as of 5/28/10.

In Illinois, a Bill has to 'read into the record', 3 times, and voted on. The senate voted 30/28-1 abstention to pass the SB1381. It then went to the House, had its First Reading, and then on the Second Reading they debated and after a bunch of rigmarole with changing/adding sponsors, the bill was sent to Rules Committee - code for: I don't want to touch this.

The only way this SB1381 can come out of Rules is by Speaker Mike Madigan. What does Speaker Madigan have to gain? What would his angle be. Does the Attorney General of Illinois want cannabis legalized? Her opinion matters - it is a family affair since Speaker Madigan is grooming Attorney General Daughter for the Governors office.

Anyways, the Bill is dead. Everyone i know works in Energy, Real Estate, big Corps and no one has any idea who has a gain in this legislation and if the only gain in the legislation is for the people, then it isn't going to happen because the people in Illinois are not rallying for this or calling their reps and senators.

Lou Lang sponsoring this bill doesn't mean it had a chance or that it did not, all it means is that Lou saw something in it for him and that could simply be having his face on this legislation and looking like a very progressive politician...If that is the case, then his mission is done, operation successful. And that would par for the course on how basic legislation works.

J

justwannablaze

yeah this needs to change. I'm ready for my usage to be legal so I don't have to take the risk of having to buy it off the black market and not being able to grow it. Does anyone know a way to get in contact with norml personally?

J

justwannablaze

Just found some info...

"CHICAGO (WBBM) — If you suffer from chronic pain or are a cancer, HIV or Hepatitis C patient, you may soon be able to get a 2.5-ounce dose of medical marijuana.
A bill that would allow those patients to possess marijuana as a prescription passed an Illinois house committee by a narrow vote Wednesday.
Lawmakers approved the bill 6-5 along party lines, with Democrats supporting the bill and Republicans opposing."

"The bill’s sponsor, Rep. Lou Lang (D-Skokie), says this time there are tighter restrictions on the amount of medical marijuana distributed to patients, and he’s taken out the grow-your-own provisions that opponents criticized during the last General Assembly.
“Under this bill, they would go to a dispensaries which would be businesses set up in the state of Illinois to sell this product and purchase a certain amount in a given period of time. The amount is 2.5 ounces every 14 days.”
“A database would be created for people who buy the medical marijuana to make sure they do not buy more than 2.5 ounces every 14 days,” Lang said. “So this is going to be a more controlled piece of legislation.”
The bill limits the illnesses that would qualify for medical marijuana to cancer, HIV-AIDS, hepatitis C, glaucoma, Crohn’s disease and Alzheimer’s.
The updated bill is on its way to the House floor. Lang’s previous medical marijuana proposal failed the chamber by a narrow margin during the January lame duck session.
The state Senate approved of the measure. Lang hopes to have it sent to Gov. Pat Quinn’s desk by next month.
Technically, Illinois authorized medical marijuana in 1978. But implementation was left to the Public Health Department and it never took action, so the law has been in limbo."

So they are taking steps in the right direction.. no surprise the Republicans don't want it.. haha
but I should be able to get my meds for my GAD.. and sleeping problems not just those problems...:anim_09: but yeah going good though, thank God!! :)

Top Bottom