• Thread starter oscar169
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
d795664f8d0e2210320f6a706700d316-1305171515_x-large.jpg

Illinois Sen. William Haine, D-Alton, argues medical marijuana legislation while on the Senate floor during session at the Illinois State Capitol Friday. / Seth Perlman, AP

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn must decide if he will sign a measure allowing the use of marijuana for medical purposes after the state Senate approved legislation on Friday.
The proposal has been touted as the strictest in the nation among states that have legalized medical marijuana. It authorizes physicians to prescribe marijuana to patients with whom they have an existing relationship and who has at least one of more than 30 medical conditions listed on the measure.
Lawmakers voted 35-21 to send the measure to the Democratic governor. Quinn has declined to say whether he will support the bill, saying he's "open-minded" on the issue. Lt. Gov. Sheila Simon, a former prosecutor, said she is in favor after meeting with patients, including veterans.
The proposed legislation creates a framework for a four-year pilot program that includes requiring patients and caregivers to undergo background checks. It sets a 2.5 ounce limit per patient per purchase and calls for 60 dispensaries regulated by the state where patients could buy the drug.
Supporters of the legislation say it is a compassionate measure that could save patients from the agony caused by illnesses such as cancer, multiple sclerosis and HIV. They argue that marijuana can relieve continual pain without triggering the harmful effects of other prescription drugs, including painkillers such as Oxycontin and Vicodin.
Opponents contend the program could encourage the recreational use marijuana, especially among teenagers.
"We are embarking here on a way to achieve relief, compassionate relief, consistent with the law (with) a system which avoids abuse," said the bill's sponsor, Democratic Sen. Bill Haine of Alton. "It's the tightest, most controlled legislative initiative in the United State related to medical cannabis."
A report issued last month by the Pew Research Center poll showed that 77% of Americans say marijuana has legitimate medical uses. Eighteen states and the District of Columbia allow the use of marijuana for medical purposes.
But opponents in the Illinois Senate worry whether the regulations set by the proposed legislation would be enough to prevent abuse of the drug.
"For every touching story that we have heard about the benefits of those in pain I remind you today that there are a thousand times more parents who will never be relieved from the pain of losing a child due to addiction, which in many cases has started with the very illegal, FDA-unapproved, addiction-forming drug you are asking us to make a normal part of our communities," said Sen. Kyle McCarter a Republican from Lebanon.
Nonetheless, Haine touted his measure as the strictest that the General Assembly has considered on medical marijuana. Haine and other supporters have been trying to legalize it for several years. A measure that had cleared the Senate failed in the House in 2011, when six Republicans and 50 Democrats voted yes.
The current version of the bill received the House's approval in April.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

From the few points this article lays out, it really sounds like this could be a very good program for MMJ. Its just good to see the conversation happening in more and more states. It really does seem like this bill will address many of the gray areas left by MMJ laws in other states. Hopefully this becomes an instated law.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Background checks for patients and caregivers....wtf?? what are the exclusion points? felons, dug related misdemeaners, violent crimes, past due taxes, past due child support? get ready for some real silliness now

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Background checks for patients and caregivers....wtf?? what are the exclusion points? felons, dug related misdemeaners, violent crimes, past due taxes, past due child support? get ready for some real silliness now

Background checks for patients is a bit far, but in all honesty I see no issues with background checks for producers. It is not unusual for pharmacists to undergo background checks, they may even be subject to a background check before entering pharmacy school. So having background checks for MMJ producers just simply follows in that line of thought. If MMJ is going to be legal treating it like any other controlled substance is simply par for the course. Many of us are fighting for the legitimacy of Cannabis as medicine; I see background checks for the producers as a necessary step to ensure that legitimacy.

Now I completely understand that many of the best producers of high quality Cannabis have been busted for growing in the past, and this could be an obstacle for their acceptance as a state caregiver. This is obviously a serious point of contention, and somewhat silly; if that person produced Cannabis in the past why not let them produce it in the future? But there are plenty of other crimes that people may have committed that I feel are a good reason for exclusion.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Background checks have been happing in Michigan from the start and now they have only gotten even worse any assault crime on your record and you can never be a caregiver !!

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Out here any drug related felony and your out of the game as far as the state goes...you can have a violent felony, bank robbery, theft, assault..and your all good but if you were a pot head now thats another story..right now this only applies to the commercial side of things, not private patients or caregivers..

What do you think is a reasonable charge for someone not to be able to grow medical marijuana for a patients requirements? gotta be squeeky clean to grow weed? only misdemeaners? no felonies? ....out here your also subject to full IRS disclosure of your last 5 years tax returns, no judgements or liens, no past due or "no file" taxes, no past due child support....not many pharmacist would be up for that I bet

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Out here any drug related felony and your out of the game as far as the state goes...you can have a violent felony, bank robbery, theft, assault..and your all good but if you were a pot head now thats another story..right now this only applies to the commercial side of things, not private patients or caregivers..

What do you think is a reasonable charge for someone not to be able to grow medical marijuana for a patients requirements? gotta be squeeky clean to grow weed? only misdemeaners? no felonies? ....out here your also subject to full IRS disclosure of your last 5 years tax returns, no judgements or liens, no past due or "no file" taxes, no past due child support....not many pharmacist would be up for that I bet

There shouldn't be any requirements period, with all this bullshit they are playing, its just pushing everyone to do what CO & WA state have done...:D

ttystikk

ttystikk

Totally! Can someone in the ILL legislature please explain WTF my criminal background has to do with my medical need?!

ttystikk

ttystikk

Background checks for patients is a bit far, but in all honesty I see no issues with background checks for producers. It is not unusual for pharmacists to undergo background checks, they may even be subject to a background check before entering pharmacy school. So having background checks for MMJ producers just simply follows in that line of thought. If MMJ is going to be legal treating it like any other controlled substance is simply par for the course. Many of us are fighting for the legitimacy of Cannabis as medicine; I see background checks for the producers as a necessary step to ensure that legitimacy.

Now I completely understand that many of the best producers of high quality Cannabis have been busted for growing in the past, and this could be an obstacle for their acceptance as a state caregiver. This is obviously a serious point of contention, and somewhat silly; if that person produced Cannabis in the past why not let them produce it in the future? But there are plenty of other crimes that people may have committed that I feel are a good reason for exclusion.

I'm that guy with a felony record for growing. I can't get in the front door at any legitimate MMC in the state, I'm ruled out. If I could actually get a dispensary or warehouse to accept my application- for the sole purpose of getting it rejected under HB1284, of course- then and only then would I even have standing to sue.

It's wrong, but I'm a free citizen. It is my right and DUTY to disobey unconstitutional laws, as long as my actions cause no harm. I would love to work in a warehouse- and I daresay I'd be good at it- but until lawmakers can figure out how to STOP CRIMINALIZING PEOPLE, I'm going to go on doing what I do best on the 'wrong' side of this stupid and unconstitutional law. I have nothing to lose, this IS my life.

Cort

Cort

Because they want you on the list. Its not about your medical need, its about control. Should the wind change and raids start, they know everything about you, your use, your garden and your day job.

Like getting added to the DNA database because you got arrested for unpaid parking tickets... Control is the watchword.

F

fishfan1

im also in the felon group im guilty of driving without a lic so how about i do what i allways have done hurt no one mind my own biz pay property tax a donate to my charitys help my niebors be a good ciz and i will always be considerd a bad guy ill do whats good for me not any dishonost gov officials thay are the bad guys not me im sick of trying to do this we do all the work all the hard work you guys growing behind the enemy lines know what i mean so we get all the hard knocks through all thes yrs the jial times the fines the property loses ect ect ect and here at the end we get told we are still scum bags med maryjane kiss my FELON ASS im doing for my sorry asS from here on out peace to all growers.....

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
With the Illinois bill. You are NOT allowed to grow your own meds so I dont know what they are calling a caregiver. There will be 60 dispensaries and 21 cultivation centers overseen by the state. Chronic pain by itself will not qualify for a card. The Dr that recomends you has to be your existing Dr that you have had an ongoing relationship in the past. Stiffest rules in the Nation.The Govenor has to sign it now. But it is a step forward for them.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
In Colorado 94% of all med card holders are for chronic pain...so if they exclude that one your not even goin to need 60 dispensaries or 21 cultivation centers for the couple hundred people that would actually qualify

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
In Colorado 94% of all med card holders are for chronic pain...so if they exclude that one your not even goin to need 60 dispensaries or 21 cultivation centers for the couple hundred people that would actually qualify

I hear you! Couldnt agree more!

Top Bottom