Illumalights 600 watt combo on ebay

• Thread starter Jimson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jimson

I'm setting up a new 4x4 tent and decided to take a flyer on this eBay light setup: //http://cgi.ebay.com/DIGITAL-AIR-COOL-TUBE-GROW-LIGHT-600-WATT-HPS-MH-600W-/330443866102?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ceffd3ff6
I checked the farm to see if anyone had reviewed these and came up empty - SO, I am doing a quickie review.

First of all I paid HALF what my 1st digital 600 watt unit cost. I watched them for a few days they were selling around 230-250 US$ The seller starts some at low initial bids to get your attention. ( I am a sucker for "FREE SHIPPING!" )

The packages came so fast it sat on the deck over a long weekend!

The HPS & MH bulbs, the cool-tube, the reflector 'kit', the timer and the light-hangers come nicely packaged in a scruffy looking carton.

You have to assemble the reflector. It's time consuming but simple if you have the most basic toolkit. The directions are a little sparse (picture too small) on one step - where you're attaching the reflector to the tube. When it's done, it looks flimsy but it's quite sturdy.

The digital ballast came in it's own poorly cushioned package. First sign of trouble ... something was rattling around inside the case. I opened it to find that some of the plastic that holds wires and stuff in-place had cracked off. I removed it - closed it back up - and started it up using the MH bulb for a burn-in test. 24 hours later, I set it up.

I had trouble getting my 6-inch hose attached to the cool tube - primarily because this is a very LONG tube. In a 4x4 foot tent, I could barely get 5 inches clear for the open end of the tube. I had to work on this clearance because without full air flow the entire reflector / tube gets almost too hot to touch. With full-flow (no filter) ventilation my tent temps run 12 degrees above the room temperature.

Right away, I was impressed with the coverage provided by the reflector - a nice crisp light shadow all the way around. The hangers are typical good quality. The timer - so far, very good. The ballast seems a trifle warm to me - I added a pc-case fan to my setup.

Maybe I am watching this light more closely but I am noticing that for the first two hours of ON-time, the light seems to vary in light-intensity. I can see it but it barely registers on my light-meter.

SUMMARY - at the moment, I feel positive. Check with me in a few months.

E

edux10

did you try using duct elbows on the end of the tube? maybe that would help with clearance. I always wondered if cheaper kits would burn hotter at the bulb than expensive ones but i dont see how that would really work out. Good luck, seems like a good deal if you can even get thru one crop with it. Maybe upgrade after that or use that as a secondary lite if it gives you any trouble.

J

Jimson

Sorry, screwed up the url

Paste this into eBay search.. DIGITAL AIR COOL TUBE GROW LIGHT 600 WATT HPS+MH 600W
UL LISTED BALLAST 3 YEAR WARRANTY, WORKS W/ BOTH MH/HPS

Here's a vendor's picture:
8139238.jpg

J

Jimson

"Good luck, seems like a good deal if you can even get thru one crop with it. Maybe upgrade after that or use that as a secondary lite if it gives you any trouble."

Yeah - the long term question is the No-Name digital ballast, we'll see.

E

edux10

the ballast kinda looks like a lumatek. like how it is a heat sink style, just not purple. makes since, everyone demands more moeny when it is purp.

J

Jimson

Followup to review

Update: I like it! So far, VERY good. Although, I will have to go another round before I begin to feel confidence in the setup. It's first crop there was no even canopy, mixed strains and I moved it - twice.

Uhm- fellow newbies - be ready for the heat! The reflector is a radiator.

C

Cify

Yes the reflector is hot and very poor. I really liked the cooltube though. Had to bend the reflector back a bit to fit the 6inch ducting in. Mines been running 12/12 since December 09 and i have zero complaints. It was cheap and I knew that going in. Ballast runs a little warm but i stuck it in the way of a fan and its nice and cool. All in all I was thinking of ordering another one.

G

gudkarma

lumens lumens lumens

i just scored this 600w HPS / MH kit :

all i can say is : PHAT

well packaged, better than average quality, shipped fast, nice assortment of extras, and priced right.

if shit breaks... well, that's what machines (and anything made by "the man") do.

easily, you can replace individual parts.

i use a reducer/adapter on my hood... which gives me a real good fit on the ducting.

dimpled reflector is nice too.

i use the above light it in my flower closet & i love the fact it came with an extra bulb... even if it's MH.

the glass cover, along with the vented hood, has my temps down to the low 80's during "lights on" and low 70's during "lights off".

i also use a 150w HPS in the same closet for flexible side lighting.

i was gonna score the same light you got.

does the ballast have a fan in it?

don't fret. you did good.

rock that shizzle.

J

Jimson

Update: starting 3rd flowering...

I am happy I took a chance on this unit - overall.

the ballast gets a little hotter than I am comfortable with - I keep my little walmart fan on it & no issues.

Just switched back to the HPS again and the output is definitely less "bright" than it was in the first crop. I was taught to change bulbs after 6 months of use - my cheap light meter tells me the supplied bulb is ready to be replaced a couple months sooner than the plain GE bulbs I am used to.

So, this 600-watt unit is now a regular part of the equipment i depend upon everyday. :volcano:

Top Bottom